how long does an electric water heat last?

@shynu44 (4904)
Many people say an electric water heater for bath can last for about 12 years but new heaters like tankless and gas water heaters last longer. How long do you think water heaters last?
@crossbones27 (19581)
• Redlands, California
I am not sure, but our gas heater has lasted over 25 years and please do not jinx me. My sister and I have been expecting it to break. Hope not for another 25.
@shynu44 (4904)
. thats a super heater.
• Redlands, California
@shynu44 Indeed, I have to say I am pretty proud of some of the quality we use to buy back in the day. These days, seems no matter where you go, never going to find that kind of quality. Sad days we live in in that regard. Money before people is what I always say, that is where we are at.
@shynu44 (4904)
@crossbones27 , thats amazing. I gues sthe quality of heaters are getting worse.
How long your water heater lasts depends on a lot of variables including the hardness of your water-what kinds of minerals appear in your water, the frequency the heater is used and so on. Tankless systems are basically electronic and as a result will only heat the water on demand, lasting much longer. That is what we currently have and had in our last home. They are very expensive to have installed, but down the road they eventually start to pay off since you don't heat and reheat the same water over and over again in between anyone drawing hot water.
@shynu44 (4904)
thats interesting.
@Icydoll (19135)
It's all depends on its capacity and usage.
@shynu44 (4904)
thats true.
@Ithink (10673)
Ours is a little over 20 years old, so far so good. I have been looking at the tankless ones they are interesting.
@shynu44 (4904)
wow, that must be a really authentic water heater.
@Ithink (10673)
@shynu44 I think we have just been lucky!
@xiaolisu (1309)
my electric heater had worked for 6years. it worked well so far
@shynu44 (4904)
that sounds great.
that varies widely..mostly determined by water quality and usage.if your water sucks,it could become clogged with mineral residue..especially if you don't drain it once in awhile.ours on average lasts about 10 years.
@gaianoor (1144)
• Tirana, Albania
the one i have on my beach house lasted less and we have to change some things during this time. The one i have at my house it is there from 7-8 years i`m not sure.
@miketagz (7496)
It's a lot more convenient and portable but it depends on specifications like watts and heat capacity.