The Seznec case relaunched after an important discovery... again !

@topffer (35524)
France
A few lines, for those not knowing the case : in 1924 Guillaume Seznec got a life sentence for falsification of documents and the murder of Pierre Quéméneur, a local politician and businessman. Seznec was the last one to have seen Quéméneur, but the corpse was never found and he always denied the murder. It was more difficult to deny that he was trying to trick and fraud Quéméneur by asking him to enter in a business of selling American Cadillac cars to Russia. The only existing Cadillac was pertaining to Seznec. Seznec tried a Cassation complaint, it was rejected and he was sent to bagnio in Guyana where he stayed 22 years. Since 1924 the family asked for a judicial review 9 times, last time in 2015, a record in France, and perhaps also a world record. All the requests were rejected. Now comes the last episode. Some fans of the case obtained recently the authorization from the actual owner to do some excavations in the home of Seznec in 1923, and they made an important discovery, a femur head. This private excavation directed by a lawyer started yesterday, and a few hours later Ouest-France starts an article published yesterday like this : «The date of Feb 24th 2018 may become a historic moment in French legal history». A bone was found and the district attorney called. Thinking that it can be a human bone, a femur head, he stopped the excavations and declared : «an investigation, given to the judicial police of Rennes, is opened to find the causes of the death.» The newspaper specifies that «according to our informations, the forensic doctor does not doubt that this bone is human». A lab will determine the owner of the bone. As the bone can be seen closely on the first picture I had a doubt about the owner, and I asked to an anthropologist friend to confirm it by mail. It is true that it is a femur head, the femur head of... A PIG. I do not think it will be enough for a 10th judicial review. I hope that the newspaper was not well informed about what said the forensic doctor. If it is not a fake news, I am reassured that this one has chosen to become a forensic doctor instead of a normal doctor. And the joke continues : the volunteers, excavating now under the control of the police have found a second bone says Ouest-France today. Bad that we have no picture to laugh again.
La médecin légiste l’a examiné sur photo et serait formelle?: l’os découvert samedi, dans le cadre de fouilles privées organisées par des bénévoles passionnés par l’affaire, serait bien humain. L’enquête est ouverte.
@TheSojourner (17310)
So many Unsolved Mysteries are starting to he reopened now because of technology and the way that they can test the evidence. Too bad we can't go back and undo the OJ Simpson trial.
@topffer (35524)
• France
Yes, DNA analysis have given incredible results permitting to reopen many cases in the past decade. But here it makes me laugh : they just found a piece of pork bone and called immediately the justice and the media.
@topffer oh, the irony was certainly not lost on me! ;-)
@garymarsh6 (14317)
Careless littering following a barbecue perhaps !
@topffer (35524)
• France
Or a bone given to a dog. This supposed Quéméneur may have been EATEN.
Oh my! You will not believe that a friend of mine - her father who was a pig farmer in the Philippines, was shot and murdered over some business dispute. But that case had definite evidence and the murderer was caught - case closed. As for this case, well, I just think that such a pig skull would not help any, unless of course that Quéméneur was indeed a pig .
@topffer (35524)
• France
Or they gave Quéméneur to eat to the pig and they ate the pig. Today many newspapers are publishing the news of the discovery of "human" bones. The district attorney is less sure of himself than yesterday : the bones will be shown to an anthropologist to tell if they are human. I wonder how all these newspapers will present it when they will know that the bones are not human? Sorry for your friend's father. I do not believe that any business dispute deserves to be shot.
@topffer The newspapers will become less credible - since their news was hog wash . Seriously how can anyone not differentiate a pig skull from human skull ! Thank you. Yah, I don't know the details of what happened - but how sad it was all over money .
@topffer (35524)
• France
@much2say There was an article today about the other bone and a paleontologist said after having viewed the picture that it was from a veal or a deer. Officially the bones have been given to an anthropologist who will give a report in 2 weeks. The lawyer who did this buzz says in another article that he is confident that the bones are human "the district attorney would not have started a procedure loosely".
That is wild! Nothing like rushing to conclusions after all these years. Do you mean a fetal head? A femur is a thigh bone and pretty thick and long.
@topffer (35524)
• France
It is a small piece of a femur. The long part is called diaphyse, and the ends are epiphyses. What you see is an epiphyse of a femur. It seems that the second bone found pertains to a veal or a deer, it has been identified by a paleontologist on a photo published by a newspaper. What is funny is that the lawyer told the media today that "he was confident that they were human bones." He hopes to have a new judicial review of the case. The bones have been given to an anthropologist by the justice and he should give his conclusions in 15 days, but I have no doubt that they are not human bones.
@topffer All that work just to identify animal bones!
@topffer (35524)
• France
@DianneN Well, it is not serious to call the justice and the media after a few hours of excavations giving a piece of bone.
• Pamplona, Spain
Would be really interesting to see whether it is human or not. They can make mistakes after all they are only human like everyone else. After all this time the case still goes on again. Thank you for sharing this one tops you are a grand Reporter ee by eck you are grand lad.
@topffer (35524)
• France
I am not a reporter but I spend an hour to read news everyday online. It was worst a few years ago, I had subscribed to about 20 feeds from different newspapers. I had a doubt and I asked a friend who confirmed that it was a pig. I am not sure that a forensic doctor saw it, it is the weekend. I wonder how this newspaper will present it Monday or Tuesday when they will learn that it is not a human bone?
• Pamplona, Spain
@topffer You have the flair for it though that is what I mean. Pues que sea de Pata Negra Hope its the very best ham then or its been a very good ham now there is nothing left of it. 20 feeds from Newspapers by gum you were busy lad by eck grand lad grand. Take no notice its me having my mad half hour. Every so often we all get them.
@topffer (35524)
• France
@lovinangelsinstead21 The lab analysis will tell if it was a pata negra. I found it funny, and I just wanted to share it. Pleased that you liked it. I am going to bed now. Good night see you tomorrow.
Do you believe this doctor made such a big mistake? Or may be the newspaper was too excited to publish the news to wait and be sure the femur is from a human body? This is anyway an interesting affair, we will see what happens in the next few days.
@topffer (35524)
• France
The district attorney made a mistake, but I do not believe that a doctor can have said that. It is the weekend, I do not think that a forensic doctor will look at the bones before tomorrow, and I wonder how this newspaper will present the conclusions of the doctor.
@topffer I am curious to see what they will publish in the next few days.
@topffer (35524)
• France
@LadyDuck All these proud guys on the pictures will have to move or hug the walls as they will be a laughing stock during a long time.
@DaddyEvil (25697)
• Aurora, Missouri
Oh, good grief! I wonder how much money that family has wasted trying to get that conviction overturned? Am I misunderstanding something, Top? Why is the family so keen to get the conviction overturned? Would they receive tons of money if it was? Or something equally valuable?
@DaddyEvil (25697)
• Aurora, Missouri
@topffer Hmmm... so he was convicted on circumstantial evidence? That's a little odd, isn't it? Oh, nice! I wondered what that article I read meant about Seznec forging a document... SMH! Okay, I don't think I would still be wasting money trying to overturn the conviction. Would you?
@topffer (35524)
• France
@DaddyEvil The forged documents were another clue that made the jury believe that he was also guilty of the murder. In France a jury convicts on deep conviction and does not need a formal proof. The number of miscarriages of justice is very low. Seznec may be one of them, but the family never managed to bring something new permitting to believe that he was innocent. There is a document written by a son later telling that his mother committed the crime and that Seznec buried the corpse in the cellar where they are doing these excavations. My deep conviction is that it was forged to have Seznec released from the bagno. After 10 years there was a prescription and his wife could not be judged and sentenced. Their excavations tend to prove it.
Maybe I'm too tired now but I haven't understood if Seznec is still alive and in prison.
@topffer Thank you. Now I know.
@YrNemo (14184)
Oh well, at least it was entertainment for a while, that piece of bone! Strange about the missing body in any crime. (I read the article about Patricia Wilson got killed by a French gardener. No body was found however!)
@topffer (35524)
• France
When the crime is not confessed and the body buried in a wood, it can take a few years before finding it. I remember a Roman excavation in Lyon where a body was found in the concrete of a floor. The crime was not perfect, but 1900 years later it was difficult to investigate.
@YrNemo (14184)
@topffer They were that smart even 1900 yrs ago? (burying the body in the concrete!) wow!
@louievill (19299)
They should be considering contacting a medium or a psychic investigator by now
@topffer (35524)
• France
I would be surprised if they had not already contacted several psychics in the past 90 years. The difference between Seznec and an ordinary murderer, is that the family of Seznec is rich.