Random Learning

I have a bit of wait as my daughter takes her Saturday art classes on a college campus. From now on each week, I have decided to go to the college library at the last hour to learn about one thing - whatever that may be. This time I went to the Juvenile section - my favorite - though this college library has many older printed books. Randomly I picked this yellow book on the shelf (because yellow is my son's favorite color) and with no title on the spine it peaked my curiosity. The illustration had a bird in a cage (birds are my daughter's love). The title "To Paint the Portrait of a Bird" interested me as we are a family of artists. What a lovely short read in English and in French! But my discovery was the author of this "poem", a 20th century French poet named Jacques Prévert. The poem for this book was interpreted by an American poet, Lawrence Ferlinghetti. I had to read more about Jacques Prévert. In short, he wrote about life and love just like he spoke, not paying much attention to writing rules. His simplicity made him popular in the children's genre (my love) - even in schools. Interestingly he hung out with other Surrealists of the time - oh it was surreal that I just stumbled upon "him" as he is totally up my alley ! What have you learned "randomly" this weekend?
how to stay alive.lol
You're doing a good job at it !
@much2say thanks.I loved that.
That's awesome you are doing that. Libraries are a wonderful place to spend time. I usually learn new things here at mylot.
I actually wish I could myLot at the college, but I hate doing it on the phone and the wifi is super slow . But as long as there are many books to choose from, it's all good.
@topffer (34146)
• France
Prévert wrote a lot for the cinema. One of his movies is called "A rare bird". There is no bird, it is about a servant and a master exchanging their roles in a hotel, and it is really funny. What I find good is that your college library was opened on Saturday. They will open during weekends in France when hens will have teeth (I am stucking on birds). Your method of opening books at random will certainly permit you to do some great finds like this one.
I did see that he was also a screenwriter. Oh I should really learn French so I can see these French movies . . . I wonder how the bird comes into the title of "A Rare Bird"! I hope to read more of his poetry, although I realize some meanings may get lost in translation. Where do the college goers over there go if they need to find resources over the weekend? I don't know about all colleges, but the ones I've been to locally are mostly all open all weekend, but with limited hours. I don't know if they are really studying though . . . I see many students on their gadgets with their free wifi or at the tables sleeping!!
@topffer (34146)
• France
@much2say I wrote that there was no bird, but there is a parrot at the beginning of the movie telling silly things and repeating phrases that it should better not repeat. But the "rare bird" is more the servant than the parrot, as he is supposed to be a single and very rich. Most of public servants do not work during the weekends. A few courses can be given on Saturdays, but quite everything is closed on a campus during the weekends, except a few university restaurants and canteens (about 1/3, alternately).Macron would like to have some libraries opened on Sundays but there is still nothing decided. Anyways no many students are staying during the weekends. The ones surrounding my house are partying on Thursdays nights and are leaving on Fridays evenings.
@topffer Ah, that kind of rare bird . The story line sounds familiar but I know I have not seen that particular movie. What is the French title? I like our closest college campus . . . we can mostly only go during the weekends to walk, but even though all of the campus eateries are closed, we can literally walk anywhere on the outskirts to eat. But the college campus my daughter goes to, it's a very small campus to begin with - and not much is open. There is a Starbucks for coffee, but it takes a half hour to get through the line - and most of the time they are out of anything we want. And there is no where to walk for food on the outskirts unless we are willing to eat fast food or donuts. Where do your partiers go on weekends? The ones that live in the apartments by the college here STAY all weekend and do their parties then . . . that part I do not miss about apartment living!
I love it when writers don't even try to be "proper", but just write what they feel. I learned asbestos is a mineral.
Me too - I love freestyle writers - "proper" does not necessarily tell the message well! What - asbestos is a mineral??? I"ll have to look that one up !
@much2say I only know that because I was watching a show where a person was flipping a house, but they had to call in a company to remove asbestos. They asked the company owner what asbestos was exactly, and he said it was a mineral. The flipper had no idea either. My dad was telling me the other day when he was a kid they had to remove it from their house, but back then no one knew it was so dangerous. They took no precautions.
@AmbiePam I believe they have required buildings to get rid of any asbestos, but I know there are still some homes out here that have them. One of my grandma friends remodeled their kitchen a couple years ago - and it was discovered that they had asbestos so it was this whole process to get it all out before actually doing the kitchen. Yah, back then they didn't think anything of it. But still scratching my head that it's a mineral!
That's a lovely idea I dislike reading, but it's good to learn. I've learned bits and pieces just from myLot.
This was not even a 2 minute read - it was a poem stretched out into a short childrens book. Oh yah, lots of good things can be learned on myLot .
@much2say Heheh I can read that then but sometimes I may not understand the poem that well
@infatuatedbby Believe me, this was super easy. Plus there were pictures !
Sounds interesting. Lately, I have been involved too much with work online and have not had the chance to get into any reading. As soon as I can I will do that again.
I hope you can get to reading again soon - and there is a lot to learn online as well! My picks happen to be children's books . . . I love illustrations and short stories - that's about right for my attention span too .
@much2say I once started a course by mail to learn to write children's book but never got to complete it.
@RasmaSandra As an artist, I once took an illustration class for specifically for children's books. It's one of my dreams to one day do it - but I haven't done anything!!
At this point I do not feel like I have learned anything lately. Brain drain. I am reading a health questions and answers book when I have to wait.
Oh the brain drain - I know that one too. I seem to have that at the end of the day mostly. I do a lot of health research stuff online . . . there's always something "medical" to look up!
I'm sure you will come across many interesting things in that library
There's lots to learn in all libraries . . . where we got a lot of our knowledge from before the internet!
Good idea! Relieved a dull wait time with reading ! What amazes me is that a book you randomly picked included your son,your daughter and youself's favourites.
And it was a short read too, so it did not take too much of my time or energy. That is what I like about children's books . . . so many people can take something out of these stories. With wordy novels, it's a bit harder to be of everyone's liking (takes longer to read too ).
@much2say Except famous ancient literary works of China,I hardly read full-length novels.I like reading prose and other short read that we call fast-food reading.
@changjiangzhibin89 Fast food reading . This is why I also like magazine or newspaper articles too - short is best for me too.
What a wonderful discovery!!! I love your idea. I randomly learned that I am not good at water skiing.
Ah, so you tried water skiing ! I am such a poor swimmer - I don't think I'd even try (I'd freak out if I were in the middle of a big body of water on my own!). Was it fun though?
@much2say Let's just say I laughed myself silly! It was scary, but fun. I kept thinking of sharks, though. I'm terrified of them. I am a good swimmer, but a much better floater. They could use me as a buoy. lol
@DianneN Oh sharks - I didn't even think of that. Do you see them out there too? Buoy . I think I would be at water skiing in the bath tub !
Trying to learn one new thing each day is a good idea.
I like learning this way much more than how I learned at school !
@much2say - You can learn what you want rather than what they want!
@teamfreak16 Exactly. That's why I liked taking college courses during my lunch break from work in my 30s - I didn't go for the grade. But then again, it was "dance" - and that's what I wanted to learn.
@1hopefulman (28412)
It is good to explore and learn about new things. Life is an adventure and there is a lot to see and learn. Good to be curious, looking ere and looking there, reading this and reading that. Various aspects of health and spirituality continue to intrigue me.
Life itself is a learning experience and it's always good to expand. I did notice that many of your posts do touch upon health and spirituality! Besides the children's genre, I have an interest in reading about things to better our health as well.
@1hopefulman (28412)
@much2say Yes, who knows it all? Life is a school!
@1hopefulman That's right - and we never stop learning!
@nife2018 (1148)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Nice to learn and Relearn, I so much love practical than theory, but seem I will like trying to read now
Yes, relearning is good too! I love practical and theory . . . either way there are endless topics for both!
@nife2018 (1148)
• Lagos, Nigeria
@much2say yes, you are right
• Pamplona, Spain
There is no Library for me to go to here not a chance of that. Have learned a lot of things really it was from the television just watching a short bit of a program. But I have learned about this writer you mention and so that is another plus as well.
Oh wow, there is no library nearby? I take it for granted then . . . we have many public libraries around. We can always learn about life just by looking around . . . and there's always tv, internet, and of course myLot too!
• Pamplona, Spain
@much2say That´s right. The nearest Library I believe is in Logroño which is quite a way out for me to go at the moment. But I learn a lot from other sources like most people do.
I learned that I can try to do too many things at one time
Over multi-tasking !
@PatZAnthony (12656)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That it can snow in places where it should not at times when it is not supposed to snow!
That didn't happen in our area, but it did happen locally ! I believe it snowed like not even a half hour away from here - and it never snows there - weird!!
Sorry not much of a reader here, but it seemed you enjoyed it. Too bad though don't have the reading habit genes
Oh, even you could have read this . . . it was a VERY short book - it wouldn't have even taken a couple minutes to read. Believe me, I don't have the attention span to read something too long (unless it's really, really good) . . . childrens books are perfect for me .
Serendipity to find a book like that at random. I don't think I've learnt anything this weekend.
There is not much to do on this particular campus, so I had to make up some kind of "game" to keep me entertained . I like picking out random things to read . . . forces me to learn things I would not have learned otherwise!
Library is a place where you are bound to learn something new and your approach to pick anything was not wrong. We lost a great celebrity star here in India and so I surfed to know more about her.
There is so much knowledge to be gained from the library - and from each and every book! Oh no - I did see you had a post about that - and I promise to get to it later in the day! It's sad to hear when we lose celebrities . . . in most cases we have not had the opportunity to know them in person, but from their works it is as if we had known them.
@Shienly (197)
Learning is fun
It is . . . good for our mental health to continue learning as we get older!