Favorite BIG #1 HITS Through the Years: 1966 Pop

@FourWalls (16203)
What a lovely day! Clear blue sky, the brown grass is beginning to lose to the green grass, and the moon is in the sky along with the sun. After a week of flooding rains, it's a serene scene indeed. Time to celebrate with another song that hit #1 in a year in the first 25 years of my life. Here's the 1966 entry. 1966 (Pop): Monday, Monday - Mamas & Papas Man, was this a hard year to pick from. Chart-topping songs in 1966 included "The Sounds of Silence" and "When a Man Loves a Woman." I went with this one. And no, not because today, as I type this, is Monday. I don't have that kind of foresight. No, I picked it because I love it. Yes, it's played to death on oldies and rock stations (and for those who are tormented by such things, let me be the first to let you know that the Mamas and Papas really did record other songs!), but man, is it a great song. The song blends a little rock and a little folk into a sound that would come to explode on the American music scene and give those moptops a run for their money. One of the memorable songs by one of the memorable acts of the 60s. Monday, Monday Written by John Phillips Recorded by the Mamas & Papas From If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears, 1966 #1 for three weeks Can't trust that day:
The Mamas & The Papas - Monday Monday
@kobesbuddy (59183)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This is one of my all time favorite songs:)
I must have taken a wrong turn on Creeque Alley and missed this one.
@FourWalls (16203)
That's okay, everybody's gettin' fat except Mama Cass.
@ramapo17 (26034)
• Melbourne, Florida
@FourWalls Hahaha....
@lovinganglesinstead had this song on his post.Great song
@FourWalls (16203)
I saw that. What a coincidence!
@FourWalls yes.What other song do they have for Monday,Monday. It got a Monday kind of love lalalalalallalalalinstead of sunday
Moonday moonday...
@FourWalls (16203)
That's so Duran Duran (New Moon on Moonday)....
@dgobucks226 (14710)
Excellent song choice! One of my favorites along with California Dreamin.' There vocal harmonies as with the Beach Boys were a centerpiece to a beautiful pop sound.
• Denver, Colorado
Yeah, that "California Dreamin'" song was okay, too. Decent group.
@ramapo17 (26034)
• Melbourne, Florida
I loved the Mamas and the Papas. They were an awesome group. So many of the old groups seemed so much better than the later ones.