Steiff Teddy Bears

@millie02 (6905)
United Kingdom
The actual title of this book is `Steiff Teddy Bears Love for a Lifetime.' , but I thought that was too long to use as a title. However it does cover the subject of the book very well. It tells us the history of the famous Steiff Teddy Bear manufacturing from 1902 until the 1990s when the book was published. The book contains photographs of nearly every Steiff Teddy that was made during that time. There are lots of lovely pictures of these bears in imaginative settings , and some good written information which is very useful for a collector .
• Uzbekistan
The firm where the Steiff Bears are manufactured is ~60 km / 37 miles away from where I live.
@millie02 (6905)
That sounds very interesting. Have you ever seen the factory for yourself and would you be allowed to have a look inside if you did go there?.
• Uzbekistan
@millie02 I haven't been there. There is a museum which is obviously quite interesting. I'm adding the link so you can see for yourself:
       HOME   ABOUT  ARTICLES  SPECIAL DEALS   CONTACT    DESTINATION IDEAS    England    Germany    Italy    France    Austria    Belgium    Croatia    Ireland    Wales    Switzerland    Castles    Museums    Cathedrals    War History    Family Travel    
@millie02 (6905)
@MALUSE Thank you for that useful link. I suppose we will all be going there now, I would if I could but money is tight at the moment but perhaps I will think about it in the future.
First time I've seen this kind of teddy bears.
@millie02 (6905)
Perhaps you have not got much interest in collecting teddy bears. I admit that I have only been interested in them for the last few years. However, I did used to make teddy bears myself and I could make some money by making them for other people.
That is nice to see all the bears.
@millie02 (6905)
I know, most of them are really cute.
@millie02 That is nice Carolyn.
@millie02 (6905)
@Hannihar I love these sort of books that have actual photographs in. The teddies and other animals all look so lovely that I would like to lift them off the page and bring them to life.
Sounds like a good reference work for collectors.
@millie02 (6905)
It is and a collector can learn a lot from reading books like this. Particularly people who are quite new to teddy bear collecting.
I am sure that it is a lovely book to have if you love teddies.
@millie02 (6905)
It is a lovely book and I do love teddies. I recently brought some Harrods teddy bears from our local charity shop. Unfortunately , they are not made by Steiff , but they are still nicely made by whoever did make them.
I bought one in Germany and it is a lamb They have a button on their ear.
@millie02 (6905)
Lovely, do you have a photo of it that you could share with us? I brought a box of small Steiff animals from an auction last year. These included a fox, a squirrel, cow, pig, hedgehog and some more that I do not remember without going to have a look at them.
@millie02 We call it the lazy lamb
@millie02 (6905)
@allknowing Nice picture , thanks for sharing. This looks like a large soft toy. The toys I own are probably miniatures because they are only a few inches long.
@nitirrbb7 (3757)
Any idea why they stopped in the 1990s with the manufacturing of those teddy bears?
@millie02 (6905)
I am sure that the teddies are still being made today, but the book was published in the 1990s, and this is why the information stops at that date. You can still buy new Steiff teddy bears today and they often commemorate dates and events that occur in the modern world such as royal wedding etc.
@nitirrbb7 (3757)
@millie02 Oh thanks I thought they had stopped making them
@millie02 (6905)
@nitirrbb7 I think that they only make certain bears these days. Most are made for special occasions like royal wedding etc.
@ElicBxn (60895)
I have a couple of Steiff giraffes