March Came With The Snow

Snow in my garden
Switzerland
February ended with the coldest day of the whole winter and March has started with a snowy day. Let's hope it's just the farewell of father winter going away. March was the first month of the year in the Roman calendar, named after the God of war Mars. The birthstone of March is aquamarine and the flower the daffodil. March is a month full of events and celebrations. The 4th of March is the 90th Oscar Academy Awards. The 17th St. Patrick's Day. The 20th is the Spring equinox in norhetn emisphere, Spring starts. The 30th is Good Friday For those who love coffee, March is Caffeine Awareness Month. On a more serious note, it's also Nutrition Month, National Craft Month, Women's History Month and American Red Cross Month. According to an old saying "A dry March and a wet May - fill barns and bays with corn and hay." How has March started where you live? Any special plan for March?
Just my birthday today, and a few doctor appointments in the coming week. I wonder if we'll get any more winter weather ourselves.
Happy Birthday, we are both Pisces. I hope that winter will not last long.
@AKRao24 (21198)
Happy Birthday dear friend @AmbiePam! many many happy returns of the day and have a great day!
Happy birthday @AmbiePam!
You woke to a little dusting of snow it looks like. We have a dry start to the day, and its still quite mild. But we will have a front move in this afternoon and we will get rain. Eventually the temperatures will drop and the rain will turn to ice and then finally to snow. If it snows all night, which it could, we will wake to about 15 cm of snow. One thing about March here is that it is a little bit of everything. That is why we have the March Break, which is from March 12-16 so that people can travel to warmer locations if they need a reprieve from the winter.
There is not a lot of snow, but it is iced, due to the very cold temperature. It is dangerous to go around. We do not have the March breaks, usually the breaks are one week around Easter time. This year is the 1st of April.
@LadyDuck I believe that the March Break is unique to us here in Canada.
@Juliaacv Spring Breaks are usually in March in the United States also.
@Icydoll (24717)
Here march started with Holi festival...and it's hot climate ..
It's nice to start a month with a holiday. It is still winter here.
@ptrikha_2 (10249)
@Icydoll yes The Holi festival and yes the weather is warming up more than usual. @LadyDuck I wish you could send over some of the snow here to India!
if holi is in winter,,, then how people will enjoy holi ?
@nela13 (8405)
• Portugal
It started with a lot of rain and more is expected for the next days. Love your picture.
We hoped not to have snow this February, it came right on the last day.
@nela13 (8405)
• Portugal
@LadyDuck It is very cold in Europe now.
@nela13 Yes, it is really very cold. Here it snows from three days.
For some reason, I thought the Academy Awards was next month. My grandson was born on the first day of spring. He'll be 26? this year. The saying here for March is In like a lion, out like a lamb, or In like a lamb, out like a lion. Speaking about the weather. I hadn't heard that one you mentioned. I'm really hoping March comes in like a lion so it goes out like a lamb. Today has clouds.
I have looked outside a few minutes ago and it is still snowing, let's hope not to wake up with several feet of snow tomorrow morning. You have a grandson who is already a grown up man, happy birthday to him.
@LadyDuck Yes, he is. All but one of my grandchildren are adults. I have two great granddaughters.
@just4him I only have one niece, the daughter of my brother, she is 33.
• Uzbekistan
Cold yes, snow no.
It has stopped now, but it is so cold that the snow immediately turns into ice.
• Uzbekistan
@LadyDuck Ice is the worst weather condition. I broke my arm slipping on a small patch of ice some years ago.
@MALUSE I fear the ice exactly for that reason. I cannot afford to break my elbow again, I have been warned, it would be very difficult to repair it again.
March reminds me that here in the Caribbean we are just a month away from the beginning of really hot weather.
I have been in the Caribbean in March and it was very pleasant, May was too hot.
@LadyDuck With the changing weather patterns it is becoming even hotter.
@Kandae11 I can easily imagine, because it is the same here.
It started dark, as usual...
It was pitch dark this morning. I went out to check if there was enough food in the bowl of the cats, I had to use a torch.
@JolietJake But you can find scar even in darkness ...Scar sharp eye's is like that
@Maria24 (2160)
It looks so beautiful. My March is cloudy snow expected.
It is still snowing, but the temperature is up. The snow is even nicer under the sun.
@Maria24 (2160)
@LadyDuck wow nice
@jobelbojel (8243)
It is my birth month and I planned to take time off on my birthday. August is nutrition month where I live.
Which day is your birthday? March is surely a nice month in your country.
@LadyDuck March is the start of summer. Expecting to have water activities this year. I was born on the 26th.
@jobelbojel Your Birthday is almost at the end of the month, so you are not a Pisces, but an Aries.
@Srbageldog (8244)
It is very cold and rainy here! We had a mostly mild February until the last week, then we had record low temps and lots of rain. I am curious, do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I always thought it was mostly an Irish-American holiday. I heard somewhere that they don't even really celebrate it in Ireland. My family always celebrated when I was growing up because we have Irish ancestry.
We had the same kind of weather, a mild February and now the cold has arrived. No, we do not celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the other European countries.
@LadyDuck In the U.S., St. Patrick's Day has become an excuse to party and get drunk. There is a saying that "Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day." I hate that saying. My family never celebrated by drinking, we always ate corned beef and cabbage for dinner, as did other Irish-American people that I knew. And we wore green and would pinch anyone not wearing green...very few children participated in that tradition when I was in school. Now they sell things like green wigs, crazy green hats and headbands, and flamboyant outfits everywhere. It's become over-commercialized just like every other holiday.
@Srbageldog As every celebration it has been highly commercialized and this is a shame.
@nanette64 (17955)
• Fairfield, Texas
I've got trees blooming and grass growing already @LadyDuck .
I had flowers blooming... until 4 days ago, now they are buried in the snow.
@nanette64 (17955)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck Dang it, I hate when that happens.
@nanette64 It happened also last year.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
For us March month was always tough as we used to had final exams in this month in childhood. And now we have exams of kids . It's busy month for us.
March is usually a busy month and it's the start of Spring here.
@ptrikha_2 (10249)
@sjvg1976 exam times for kids are also exam times for the parents.
• Peoria, Arizona
The only day I care about is National Panda day on the 16th haha I'm just kidding! It is also my dad's anniversary on the 15th so that is neat, I guess. And cannot forget good ol Pi day! March has been off to an alright start, it is cold, but it should be a good day and month I would hope! Just a lot of working!
The Pi day is only in your country, because you write the month first and the day after (314), in Europe we write the day first, so it would man nothing (143). Happy Birthday to your dad.
• Peoria, Arizona
@LadyDuck Frik, you are right. You guys don't get to enjoy wonderful Pi day. It is actually his wedding anniversary to my step mom haha It is easy to remember because I always said Beware the ides of March when it would come up.
@DesirousDreamer The 15th are the Ides of March, remember them to beware.
After hearing our local weather guy telling everyone it is actually the first Meteorological day of Spring (but on the 20th it will be the Astronomical first day of Spring), I expect winter is still going to fall a few more flakes before we feel actual warmer temps that will stay !
Last year we had snow the 1st of May. No matter when Astronomical first day of Spring is, here we have to wait until mid-May to be sure that we do not risk snow anymore.
@LadyDuck honestly until our weatherman mentioned that term 'meteorological versus astronomical' I had not heard of this either, however the time for snow can even be as late as JUNE !
@enlightenedpsych2 Surely in the north of Switzerland they can have snow in June, thankfully not here. By mid-May we are sure to enter the nice season.
It started off beautifully here and at home. I don't have any free days until we arrive home, where hubs and I intend to rest.
I had a very nice day inside, the snow looks beautiful if you do not need to go out.
@LadyDuck Freshly fallen snow is beautiful, but I hope to never see it again!
@DianneN I hope this is the last of the season.
@AKRao24 (21198)
March is very frustrating here with increased day temperature and decreased night temperature which makes one sick and during this time lot of people suffer from Viral fever dear @LadyDuck ! Nice to know that you have got pleasant weather there at your place! Thanks!
We are having snow and it is very cold, but the worst of winter should be soon over. The flu season here is from December to February.
@AKRao24 (21198)
Oh I can understand that dear @LadyDuck ! Nice tyo know that your winter be soon over and you will be having nice bright sunny, pleasant and clear weather dear friend! Thanks!
@AKRao24 Usually by the end of March we have pleasant days.
that is a bummer.We have a huge coastal storm coming up.
Right now that the flowers had started to bloom. This cold weather is messing up everything.
@LadyDuck that is too bad there.We do not have any thing blooming here yet
@amadeo We had the primroses in bloom and now they are covered by the snow.
@MaciMaci (306)
• France
Hi Anna! I love how beautifully you have presented the month of March. It started showy here too, but the most important event for me is the upcoming wedding of my best friend! I'm so happy and so excited, this will be a March to remember! :)
Hello and welcome to myLot. A wedding is exciting.
@kobesbuddy (55473)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We are getting more snow this afternoon, darn it! We might go to the St. Patrick's Day parade this month.
It is still snowing here it seems it will go on until tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.
@kobesbuddy (55473)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck Our snow accumulation was only 1/2 inch, this is a relief!
@kobesbuddy You were lucky, still snowing here.