Fish fry!

@FayeHazel (21328)
While we are coming up on March that signals the start of fish fry season here in the mid-west. While I am not a Catholic - I believe the area fish frys are popular because of the largely Catholic population who must eat fish / not red meat - during the Lent season leading up to Easter. However, happily you don't need to be Catholic to partake in the eating of the fish. Fish fry tends to happen in small towns at local bars, sometimes even local halls that a rented just for the occasion. The surroundings are usually not fancy, but the food is delicious. Filets of fish are served all you can eat along with tartar sauce and red sauce and if you are lucky - lemons. The side dishes vary from place to place and may include a baked potato, french fries, cole slaw, beans, chips, dinner roll. You may get a choice on what to order with your fish, or you may not, taking what is offered from the buffet line. Almost always you can order as much fish as you want. Though it depends on the place if you get more of the side dishes or no. Do fish fry happen in your part of the world? Photo: Pixabay
@rheicel (7296)
We love fish here we're surrounded by seas so fish is one of the sources of food here.
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
We're also surrounded by the ocean but the fish stock here is getting depleted because of pollution from petroleum exploration.
@rheicel (7296)
@mydanods Perhaps the Government in your country should implement laws about pollution. They should protect the mother nature.
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
@rheicel That's what everyone says but the oil companies have lots of power to prevent that from happening.
Popular in my Caribbean island throughout the year. It is served with side dishes which include roasted yam, roasted breadfruit or bammy.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Roasted yam sounds good too! :-)
Not that i know of. But i had scalleps today from our local seafood joint tjat opened yesterday
@FayeHazel (21328)
Interesting. Must be a regional thing. Ahhh, you can have the scallops... hope the seafood place is good though
@FayeHazel its good, least the scallops are lol.
@FayeHazel (21328)
@Courtlynn , I will leave you to the scallops
@Raj7779 (2922)
• Ahmednagar, India
I hate fish fry I mean I don't the taste of it.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Ah - I can understand that. I don't like most seafood myself - other than fish and shrimp
@Raj7779 (2922)
• Ahmednagar, India
@FayeHazel even I hate seafoods.all sea foods
@FayeHazel (21328)
@Raj7779 I agree, most of it is nasty
It has been happening beginning a few days before Ash Wednesday and continuing up through Palm Sunday and although I am no longer a practicing orthodox catholic of Ukrainian descent, I don't do fish for religious reasons but rather to stay as healthy as possible . . .
@FayeHazel (21328)
Ah yes, fish is nice and healthy, lean protein. Wow, as a side note : I find the Ukraine fascinating! Just the people, culture... etc.
@FayeHazel yes we are a fascinating bunch that's for sure !
@FayeHazel (21328)
@enlightenedpsych2 I like the sound of the language :-)
You know it! I see the signs for them on every bar and restaurant for Friday. I decided to have fish today, and for me it's because I want to. I was never Catholic.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Yay! Those fish fry are so good. I hope to go to one this coming week
@FayeHazel Not going to happen. No funds. However, I have plenty of fish in my freezer.
@FayeHazel (21328)
@just4him Aw shoot. Well, at least you have fish in freezer... almost as good.... maybe better
I do like fish. Once in awhile I get Nile fish at the supermarket and make it tasty to eat.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Wow, that is cool. Fish out of such a historic river. I would love to know how to make fish at home, but always worry about getting it done enough
@FayeHazel It takes time but when I do it I like making it. I should get some soon and make it. I will have to think about it for after our holiday and decide what the main course will be and maybe make rice too with it. I like it Faye. I have instructions I follow so it turns out.
@FayeHazel (21328)
@Hannihar Fish and rice sound good. When I get brave I have a Chili Lime fish recipe for baked fish. SOunds tasty
Pittsburgh and its suburbs where I live have a huge amount if Catholics ( including me) so fish fry's are very popular here! I love the food at a fish fry also!
@FayeHazel (21328)
Oh that's cool! I would imagine there are lots of fish fry to choose from for you there :-)
@FayeHazel Yes, there are a ton of them around the area! This is the biggest fundraiser of the year for most of the places. Even the restaurants get in on it! I saw a commercial another day from Arby's for two kinds of fish sandwiches!
@FayeHazel (21328)
@Marty1 Oh yeah, the Arbys fish is pretty good. I almost got the "hot" one, but the store staff said it was really hot,
I don't each much fried food anymore, but did enjoy fried fish and fries with vinegar in London, England. Delicious!
@FayeHazel (21328)
Mmm, I bet vinegar is good on there. I know I like lemon on my fried fish. Good for you for cutting back on the fried stuff though.
@FayeHazel Well, thanks to you, I ordered it on my Friday date night, with lemon. It was extra crispy fresh grouper and so delicious!!!!
@FayeHazel (21328)
@DianneN Mmm I love how the crispy batter picks up the lemon
• Pamplona, Spain
They do over here and lots and I am not a big fish fan at all but I will eat plaice, and cods roe or a bit of salmon but nothing more than that. Being Easter very soon the celebrations and preparations are already being prepared. Lots of parades and singing Saetas and all that its very colourful to see.
@FayeHazel (21328)
I can't imagine how beautiful all those parades are. Salmon is good, I haven't had it in a long time
• Pamplona, Spain
@FayeHazel You can see bits of them on youtube sometimes and they take place all over Spain so you have a great choice really. I have not had Salmon in a long time either.
Not much around where I live.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Interesting, must be a regional thing
@FayeHazel Must be!
During lent as a child.We always had fish and chips.I used to go to the store and pick this up.The greasy fat taste so good in those days.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Oh it's so true. I like the deep fried taste.... I know it's not good for a person.... yummy though
@FayeHazel I know and yes very yummy there
@rubyriaz007 (4290)
I have fish daily. Today I had fish curry and fish fry too. We mostly have fried fish.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Oh interesting - I never thought of curry with fish fry but I bet that would be tasty together...
The food looks delicious.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Very tasty! Do you have fish prepared in this fashion where you are?
@sjvg1976 (18403)
Yes they are famous in our country especially the places nearby sea.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Are they prepared fried like in the photo? That is cool! I wouldn't have thought but it makes sense
• Trinidad And Tobago
In the Caribbean it is always there But I cannot say if Christians are more customers of this dish. Fish here is very very expensive dish. On one of my non-vegetarian days, I wanted to try a fish fillet, but that cost well over $80.00 TT (13.33 US). I can't afford that for a meal.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Oh dear! $13 for filet of fish is very expensive. I'm surprised it is that expensive....
We don't have that here - at least, not that I've heard of.
@FayeHazel (21328)
Interesting, must be a regional thing
@Orson_Kart (4487)
Friday is the traditional day for eating fish here in the UK all year round. Although I'm not a Catholic, I am from a Catholic family and they had to give up something they liked during lent. I wasn't aware that they had to stick to fish though.
@FayeHazel (21328)
I've heard that some of the older tradition Catholics eat no meat on any Fridays. I've always heard that the giving up of something you like for lent is now an option. I don't know if that's correct or not though. It seems to me like there are or have been different versions of Catholic through the years
Yum nothing quite like a good fish fry.
@FayeHazel (21328)
So true, especially with some nice lemon slices
@riverwild (2542)
I live on the coast, so yeah. lots of fish fry places
@FayeHazel (21328)
Oh nice! Nice and fresh I would imagine