Mail

@sallypup (26570)
Moses Lake, Washington
Phases in life. In a few years we'll be done with the working portion of life. All the heck it took for my hubby to get work "like everyone else", my working with Veterinarians and human seniors. All over. Got a letter from my Mom, via a sister. Mom is in her own phase: the great babysitter, the TV, naps, mail, rides to the senior center. Mom still types letters on a typewriter- her first job was being a typist for the Montgomery Wards company so that sticks to her 96 yr old brain. She typed one to me, calling me by my daughter's name. Sister had hassled her into writing cause I'd sent off a packet to her, a packet of kitty stickers and a little picture book. Mom doesn't have that part of her mind any longer, that part that says: I should send a thank you to daughter cause it would make her happy. That part of her mind is zapped. So it was bitter sweet mail, readdressed by sister. At least I got something is what I tell myself as I hold the paper in my hands.
@TheSojourner (17448)
The bittersweetness of life. I miss my mother.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CoralLevang I hear you. I miss mine, too.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CoralLevang I've been going through some rough emotional patches lately. Ten years ago I would have called my Mom and talked it out with her. Not now. She lives with a sister and yet I won't call Mom for a real talk.
It's sad to see parents deteriorate but how wonderful that she is still able to type.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv That is interesting. Maybe cause typing is something she learned when she was very young.
@sallypup I think that would be the case. Lots of people with dementia are able to recall quite specific things about their childhood and early life but can't remember what happened a day ago.
That's wonderful that your mom retains her typing skills at age 96. I'd cherish that letter.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN There are a couple of typed mistake times- Mom calling daughter my name and there she writes in her own hand what she thinks is the correct name. Those hand written parts make the letter even more precious.
@sallypup Exactly!
Well, your mom is really doing darn well for age 96!!! I am glad your mom uses those typing skills of hers every now and then.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 You're right. I think she still went on pretty long walks with me when she was in her 80s.
So sad but keep that letter it will be something you will cherish someday.
Bless her soul! We never know what will become when we get really old.
@off124 (125)
right and right .
That is sweet mail for you for sure. I would frame it on a wall.