It's too long

Peoria, Arizona
I never had to complain that something was too long, but you think with the amount that this is screamed on here, you would think that we are writing scrolls as long as Rapunzel's hair. Now, I get it. Some people are older on here and their eyes are not as good as they used to be. They don't want to read a 10-page dissertation, it can to hard to read. Especially if someone doesn't have the most voice in their writing and it feels like reading a textbook. But, the amount of "It's too long" I read on posts and even my own, it is getting really, really annoying. You would think I am trying to filibuster to avoid change or whatever. I'm sorry I don't write two sentence posts! I'm sorry I talk too much! Actually, no I am not sorry. Because I actually like writing. I have my bachelors degree in writing, I was an honors writing student, it is my freaking career to write! So god help me if I write 5 paragraph essays about my breakfast this morning. No God, please don't help me. Help the people that complain that something is too long to read. It annoys me because people think this is just a simple site like Twitter, everything needs to be concise and done in 280 characters. Actually, it is worse, it is more like old school Twitter of 140 and links still counted as characters. This is a website where you are paid to what? Paid to what? Come on, help me here. Oh that's right! Paid to WRITE And I don't know about you, but I actually like working for my money. Instead of sitting on my behind, watching soap operas, and just seeing the dolla dolla bills come flying in because I make the same god dang post every day or a post that is only two sentences long. We are here to interact, make discussion, and we can earn from that. I honestly feel like people abuse that since there is no character minimum, that people can just write 3 words (I'm exaggerating) and then get paid a few cents because of it. And people are too lazy to read. Okay, fine, my posts can get a little wordy. Fine! That's fine! I am not changing that. I'm the girl that wrote a 17-page research paper in 1 night when it was only supposed to be 10 pages and then it was cut down to 8 pages after other students complained it was too much work after 2 months of working on it. It is fine if you leave a long post because it doesn't interest you. I do it all the time. But I don't comment that the post was too long or the subject didn't interest me. I just leave a like and that is it, because other than that it would be rude to take time out of that person's day to read a comment that had nothing to do about their post when they could be responding to people who actually care. If you don't like long posts, leave. Or read the first two sentences because it was "too long" or just stare at the pretty picture that was posted. But for all human decency, do not comment that a post is too long. How do you think the writer feels when someone says that the post they made about how exciting their day was or something amazing happened to them and they get a comment saying, "I didn't read all of your posts because it was too long." how do you think that makes the writer feel? Yeah like garbage. At least it does for me. I am already very self-conscious on here because I am eccentric and not your normal poster. I'm me. I'm Felicia. I'm a writer and if you did not read this post because it was just too gosh dang long, you are missing out. (or it is going to get deleted which is out of my control). You are honestly missing out on so many other great posts that people do on here. Again, this isn't against the people who cannot read long posts because of vision problems. It is to the people who cannot be nice and keep their words to themselves and are lazy. That is the best word for it, lazy.
@Morleyhunt (20329)
I read every word. Like you, I'd rather read a longer post that has some substance rather than learn what you watched on television. My comments tend to be longer than many posts.
• Peoria, Arizona
Oh my gosh, yes. Sometimes I like to make it a little challenge to see if I can make a comment longer than the post haha not really a challenge, it is just very amusing.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@Morleyhunt @DesirousDreamer I'm afraid many of my own comments have been longer than the posts I'm responding too. If I only want to read short posts and comments I can go to Twitter. If I want to read a lot of small talk, I can go to Facebook. I come here for real conversations, and not everything can be said in three sentences or less. Keep writing your long, interesting posts. I read them all the way through.
I read your entire post and also read others that may be a bit on the long side. I don't mind if they are interesting to me and well written. Quite often, a good writer can say what needs to be said concisely.
• Peoria, Arizona
Concise is fine. But if it is just two sentences, that isn't a discussion, that is a statement. My point was more of people complaining when posts are too long.
@DesirousDreamer I comprehended what you wrote. A couple of sentences is ridiculous. Longer posts, as with makeup or jewelry, should stick with the "less is more" theory.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@DesirousDreamer This site is about discussion and conversations. That's one thing that differentiates it from other writing sites. That's why I always try to leave at least one related question at the end of a post to stimulate some discussion.
Here we can have people who like long posts and others who will only read short ones. I write short stories in my native language, and I know that some stories can be told in a few lines and others need some pages.
• Peoria, Arizona
And that is fine, it just needs to be something worth while. More than two sentences, that is for sure.
@DesirousDreamer True. I can´t even say good night in one sentence
As long as you like to write, write and write as much or as little as you want.
• Peoria, Arizona
I don't agree with as little since we make money here, it seems like a waste of money to write content that isn't worth reading, it is honestly unfair to the people who actually write quality content.
I prefer long posts because they say more and give me more to think of what to comment. I hate those short posts that are pretty much the same every day. If they look to similar every day I have started to skip them. I got a comment once about how long my posts were and I felt it was rude too. I agree 100% with everything you wrote here.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is how I feel. I skip a lot of the short posts because it just isn't interesting or you can tell someone isn't putting any effort. I'm sorry you had that comment before as well, that isn't very nice. I get it a lot and it was just finally getting on my last nerve
@DesirousDreamer Well I’m glad you said something about it by writing this post but the rude people probably won’t read it anyway lol It’s nice to know I’m not alone here in my thinking though.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
I think the cure for this is to not respond to any of the short posts made by the people who make these kind of comments, and don't respond to the unkind comments they make on your posts. The more responses they get, the more they get paid. I believe we get paid not according to what we write ourselves, but according to the responses people make to what we write. Please correct me if I'm wrong, @owlwings
I actually think this site needs a 5-6 sentence minimum for discussions. But dont think that'll ever happen. Sorry you feel bad due to comments by others. Just keep being you.
• Peoria, Arizona
Or at least a character minimum. That would be nice.
@DesirousDreamer that would work too
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@DesirousDreamer Character minimums don't work. I've seen people on Virily try to make the 20-character minimum to get past the comment filter this way: Nice post........... It gets posted.
@riverwild (2320)
It depends on what I'm writing about. For hubpages, I tend to write 700 to 1000 word articles. For virily, about 300 word posts. On mylot, much shorter. It just depends on what I feel like writing about. If it's a short post about my day, it goes here. If it's a guide to the first chakra, it's going to be 7 or 800 words. If I'm just socializing, it's going to be on mylot, where I get replies right away a lot of the time. I tend to think of mylot as a socializing site.
• Peoria, Arizona
Where ever I am, I write too much. It is just a habit of mine that I don't tend to break haha I am not writing drabbles, I am writing posts! Mylot is for socializing, but people are still making money from it, so it is probably better to work for the money and have fun, instead of just cheating the system.
@riverwild (2320)
@DesirousDreamer I agree. But longer isn't always better. I have seen longer, with just fluff to pack in the words. I find this a lot in HubPages. and on Virily. I can smell fluff from a mile away, and it doesn't smell nice. MyLot isn't an article writing site. It's a discussion site. I don't find the need to write a thousand words just for a chat/discussion. Unless, of course, it takes that much to say what I have to say. I don't write just to write. I write to convey what I have to say. I think it's fine if you want to write a book with every post, but most of us just want to talk.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I don’t mind a long post. And if it’s interesting to read I would read every word of it with pleasure. If it’s not I would just leave, and not complain about it. Keep on writing interesting discussions
• Peoria, Arizona
Exactly! It is better to just leave than to complain. I'm gonna do my best haha
People need to learn the art of skimming!!
• Peoria, Arizona
Oh my gosh, right? Makes everything so much easier and no one's feelings get hurt!
@Blondie2222 (22366)
I agree there is too many people on here that don't like long post and i find if you write a long post you get short responses. If you write a short post you get lots of responses. It's a win win situation i guess. I like long post because this is the place I can write out my thoughts since I can't tell anyone else about them. This is a place we should be able to write what we want instead of being judged. Just keep doing what you are, nobody should tell you any different.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
I personally like long thoughtful posts on subjects that interest me, and what my friends are doing interests me. I agree with you. No one makes anyone read posts here. If a post is too long for you to read, you can just leave it and move on to a shorter post. Maybe those who like shorter posts should hang out together and those of us who write and read longer posts can do likewise. We follow those we choose to here. If you don't like the sort of posts one makes, just don't follow them. When your friends come to visit you, do you tell them to leave after five minutes because they talk too much? I don't read every post every friend writes, and all my friends here don't read all of mine. Each of us share certain interests and not others with our friends here and we read the posts that interest us most with the limited time we have. I understand that. I'm a great fan of Thumper, the rabbit in Bambi. If you can't say something nice or at least on topic, just don't say anything at all and slink silently away. Remember, your complaint that a post is too long still earns money for the one who wrote it, not for you. At least I think it works that way. If I write a ten-paragraph post and no one responds, I don't get paid for that post. And if you comment that a post is too short and I don't respond, I get paid, not you.
• Richfield, Utah
Ha! And I thought I was chatty, haha. I just say, share as much or as little as you want. It's a free country!
• Peoria, Arizona
I am a very chatty person. I can go on and on. I think if we are earning money, we should at least work for it
• Richfield, Utah
@DesirousDreamer I agree, as I have been reminded again, while the money is nixe, but it's not so much about the money, it's the friendships that cultivate
@mydanods (6749)
• Nigeria
If it is too long, I might just scroll to the end and take whatever comes there.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is skimming and that is fine! Skimming is better than complaining
@mydanods (6749)
• Nigeria
@DesirousDreamer So some have complained to you before?
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I cannot stand people that won't work for their money. How can someone thinking that she doesn't have to work because other family members do. If she wants stuff she needs to find something to earn money.
• Peoria, Arizona
Amen! Even a little bit of effort is still something!
@rhpinc (1403)
• Santa Barbara, California
I say, write, write, write al you want to write :) I like long stories :)
• Peoria, Arizona
Heck yeah! I totally agree!