A pelican reflecting

Bunbury, Australia
Do you like pelicans? They intrigue me. In some ways, for instance on land, they seem clumsy and not particularly graceful but when they are on the water they look much more dignified and almost regal. In the air they remind me of flying boats. Australia has only one species of pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus) and when there is good rainfall in the centre of Australia, specifically on Lake Eyre, pelicans make the long journey inland and breed in large numbers on the lake. The town of Denmark in Western Australia has a large number of pelicans which frequent the river and estuary near the caravan park. They provide a lot of entertainment for visitors. They also provide great opportunities for reflection type photos.
We have many here in Florida. We watch them fly by our window and fish.
I loved to watch pelicans in Florida Dianne.
@LadyDuck They are such sweet and harmless birds. Glad you enjoyed them when you were here. I loved all the swans in Switzerland!!!
@DianneN The swan are beautiful, but it is better to be careful, sometimes they are aggressive.
@xFiacre (4456)
@judyev Magnificent creatures, one of which attacked me when I was fishing in Australia.
@xFiacre (4456)
@DianneN Well May you say !!! My response was more of a
@xFiacre So you yawned when you were attacked by a pelican?
I like pelicans, I have only seen pelicans in Florida, there are surely no pelicans in Switzerland.
But you have your beautiful swans and that little bird in your backyard who loves you!
@DianneN You are right, we have beautiful and very bad tempered swans. I think my little red robin is preparing his baggage, winter is almost over.
@LadyDuck You will miss your little robin.
Never saw one as of yet
Perhaps you'll see one while you're in Florida. I hope so although ours are a different colour.
@JudyEv we did not see the pelican.Just alligators.Not the big one.Baby ones.
@amadeo I wouldn't want to see a big alligator - ever!
@AliCanary (1807)
Wow, what beautiful coloration! The ones we have here are just a drab brown. I think they are neat--they look kind of prehistoric, like their pterodactyl ancestors.
Dianne posted a photo of a Florida pelican and it is a drab brown. Here is a photo of one looking very pterodactyl-like. It has something in its beak.
What a pretty photo. I missed this post somehow and just saw it on the right of my screen after responding to one of your other posts. I don't think I've ever seen a pelican in person.
They're strange looking birds really aren't they?
@JudyEv yes very. They do not look like the cute pelicans in Finding Nemo
@shaggin I don't think I've seen Finding Nemo. My education has been sadly neglected!
I do not know anything about them Judy so not sure if I like them or not.
There seems to be a lot of things I take for granted. I am a bit surprised that so many haven't ever seen a pelican.
@JudyEv I am not sure if I have seen one or not at our zoo here in Jerusalem Judy.
@Hannihar I can't remember if I've seen them in zoos either.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am always thrilled somehow to see a squadron of brown pelicans in perfect formation while at the Oregon coast.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv The way the fly on the coast here at least, is like a squadron, each following the other's moves so perfectly.
@JamesHxstatic And is one line always shorter than the other?
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Yes, Pelicans are interesting birds. When I was in Florida I saw some by the fishing docks. They were very opportunistic waiting patiently for some fish scraps from the fisherman. They do seem clumsy but inflight, much more dignified, lol.
They wait for the fishing boats where we were too. Last year Vince got a photo of them seemingly 'dancing' as they all turned at once to go to the food.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
@JudyEv Great photo! Yes, they act just like the seagulls at our beach.
@Bullshark (682)
• Netherlands
I just found out that the Australian Pelican has the longest bill of any living bird on the planet and it's also able to hold 13 litres of water in its flexible pouch. Wow! The pouch of a pelican can hold more than its belly can :)
Have you heard the limerick? A most wonderful bird is the pelican His beak can hold more than his belly can You'll open your eyes And gaze in surprise And wonder how the hell he can.
• Netherlands
@JudyEv Now I haven't, until now...thanks Judy! It's a funny limerick, yet true and beautiful too...
That is a beautiful picture, did you or Vince take it? Living in the desert I never see them.
Vince took this one. Here is one with its mouth open. Their bill is huge.
Wow, she's a beauty @JudyEv I'd love to sit by a lake and try to take photos of them.
That's a beautiful picture of the pelican. I'm always amazed and grateful to learn there are so many different types of the same species, and all of them are beautiful.
Here is a photo of one with his beak open. They can scoop up a lot of fish when they want to.
@JudyEv That's also a beautiful picture. I've heard them can. They are quite the bird.
I do think pelicans are so unique. I have seen a few in Florida, and they are rather comical and entertaining creatures.
I think comical is a good word for them. Here is a photo from 2017 when they were being fed from a fisherman's boat and they look like they're dancing.
@JudyEv What fun it had to be to watch that action!!!
@JustBhem (37419)
• Davao, Philippines
I haven't seen Pelicans before, and I thought the picture is the anatomy of a frog. Rather it's the reflection.
Haha. Yes, I guess the overall shape is a bit like a frog.
@JustBhem (37419)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv A white frog. LOl
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I saw a pelican for the first time last year when we went to Myrtle Beach. It was pretty neat.
They're unusual looking birds aren't they?
@JudyEv I didn't get to see them up close.. but I saw them flying above the water and swooping down. It was pretty cool.
That's a beautiful photo. I personally, have never seen a pelican up close, they are not native to our area.
Would it be too cold for them in Canada maybe?
@JudyEv I think that they need to be near the ocean, so I would imagine that they have them on the east and west coasts, but I'm not sure.
I've never seen one in person that I remember. Cool photo!
Should that be 'seen one in feathers' maybe? I do know what you mean though.
@sol_cee (15530)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
One of my favorite novels is The Pelican Brief. And that's a beautiful photo. As always.
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. There is a nice children's book about a boy and a pelican too and it was made into a film. It's called Storm Boy.
@jobelbojel (7173)
I did not notice that it is a pelican. I have not seen one upclose and personal. I want to be like the pelican reflecting.
They are an unusual looking bird aren't they?
They are so ugly looking that they are cute. What else can I say.
I think you have put it very well. I agree completely.