Child labor rocks my world!

Walnut Creek, California
I got a call from my young friend this morning. He wanted to come over and play. I told him that I had to write an exam, but that we could work on a project together. That project was oiling up my outside chairs. It worked out well. I let him do the hard manual labor while I worked on the exam. We got a bunch of slats done, and put them outside to dry. Now we're going cycling. My exam is done. Are you a believer in child labor?
You did really well! Adults rule.
@Renvil (157)
Teaching children some task that is okay for their age is fine but child labor is different. It is not good to force a child to work.
• Walnut Creek, California
Buwaahaahaa! Next, I'm going to capture the little rascal and take him hiking at Inspiration Point with his mom. There are some clouds on the horizon, so we might catch a pretty sunset.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Renvil I agree. You have to make it fun. Buwaahaahaa!
Make those kids work until they drop! Builds character.
• Walnut Creek, California
That's my attitude. I just built up his legs...we went cycling together to his old school.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Then I took him and his mom hiking later in the day. No mercy from The Horse.
I agree that we have to teach children to work and to do some tasks. I am totally against real child labor. I think you know what I mean. Those poor kid who have to work 12 or even 14 hours a day, seven days a week, for almost nothing.
• Walnut Creek, California
I fear that some of the products we use (shirts, sneakers, etc.) may have involved child labor somewhere along the way.
@TheHorse There are 197 countries where child labor is prevalent. China, India, Russia and Brazil are among those countries. Of course we buy a lot of cheap items that have involved child labor.
@vandana7 (67734)
There is difference between child labor and the "labor" that pony has. One gives the child liberty to do or not do, the other forces the child to do the job. One equips the child with skills that can be used in future, to earn two square meals, the other also equips, but does not make the child versatile enough for multiple jobs. The worst part is there is physical abuse, and parents take away the monies.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
I wish I had set more chores for my kids when they were younger as it certainly doesn't do them any harm. I bet your young friend was really pleased with himself and it gave you time to finish your exam and then have fun with him.
• Walnut Creek, California
We had a good time together. Later in the afternoon, we went hiking with his mom. We all had fun.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
@TheHorse That looks amazing. Breathtaking scenery. You must be very fit!
• Walnut Creek, California
@sprite1950 Oh yes. I'm quite fit. The preschool children I work with ask if I have "a baby inside my tummy."
@spiderdust (7239)
• San Jose, California
Was he happy about working on it?
• Walnut Creek, California
Of course! We had a good time, as always. We just got back from cycling.
• San Jose, California
@TheHorse It looks like it would be a fun and not too difficult a project for someone his age.
• Walnut Creek, California
@spiderdust He has watched me and helped me do woodworking since he was three. I think he knows as much as I do!
My mother sure was! I had to do everything.
• Walnut Creek, California
I joined the Kids on My Block Union and charged my dad a dollar when I mowed the lawn.
@tzwrites (4954)
As long as the kid enjoys helping it's really good to teach them how to work.
• Walnut Creek, California
I agree. My neighbor friend asks if he can help me with this and that, and I always let him. He knows as much about wood refinishing as I do!
@FourWalls (15302)
Hey, I had to dry dishes and run the vacuum when I was little. Get 'em started young!!
• Walnut Creek, California
I had to mow the lawn and take out the trash, but I was in the Local Kids Union 911. I think I got paid a dollar for the lawn work. The garbage work was pro bono.
@munhozmib (3853)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
Greetings, Well, I'm not in favor nor a believer of child labor in some senses. I don't think the government should incentive it - we know the society is made out in a way that there will ALWAYS be a lot of poor people and a few rich people, and the lots of poor people will try anything desperate to get money (you have all sorts of professions, you have people selling 5/6 of their weekdays, etc.). I believe that in structured families, responsibility should be slowly passed to children. I'm certain that there are science branches that already study it and have measured how much responsibility can each age take without resulting in excessive stress. On the other side, we have non or poorly structured families that need their children working in order to survive - and, in those cases, if the children are not allowed to work, the family will starve. That being said, I think each case should be treated as a specific one. I don't believe children should be put in factory, manufacturing products or doing any sort of labor on a regular basis. However, I don't think that there is any harm on something isolated - like helping out their parents once in a while. Regards.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. Yeah, forced child labor is one thing. But I enjoy teaching kids skills, like in the old days when there were "apprentices."
@pumpkinjam (5801)
That's awesome. I am all for child labour. I left my eldest son (Midi) doing housework today while I sat on my backside in the audience watching an awards ceremony. Saying that, Midi is 18 so it's not really child labour! I remember years ago, I had asked the kids to do something. Midi said something about how he's not a slave. My response was something like, "why else would I have had children?" :D
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
I don't think that is child labor unless you are paying him. It sounds like he wanted to be with you and enjoys your company even if means doing the chairs. Lots of kids would rather do different chores for other people than their own home.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Such a cute picture. And its awesome that hes learning skills from helping you. Does he seem to enjoy it?
No I am not. I worked for my parents at their business many years and hated it. Where I have sold there is a guy like that. He gets everyone else to do his and he does nothing.