Why do some people find it difficult to say no?

@mydanods (6782)
Nigeria
Some people find it difficult to say no. They might be invited to engage in something they know is bad for them either morally or spiritually but they do not know how to say no. Eventually they regret saying yes later. Some on the other hand when invited to parties, events, gatherings etc do no say no but end up cancelling it at the last minute. Which in itself is not good. Is it fear that causes this? Are there other factors? On the other hand I say no all the time if something doesn't fit my agenda so it doesn't apply to me.
I tend to put myself in the shoes of those who are asking and I feel bad saying NO.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
I understand that. But do you say yes all the time?
@mydanods I say yes every time I can. There are times you are obliged to say no.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@LadyDuck Do you say yes even though it might be inconvenient for you?
@dodoazo (17310)
They've the reason for that. Some of those may include the following: they're on position to express it right away, they're apprehensive that they hurt someone, they're too lazy to say it for their silence signifies it already.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
Okay. But I wouldn't want to be saying yes when my head tells me to say no.
@dodoazo (17310)
@mydanods In reality, there are three answers for a question answerable by yes or no. Do you know that? The other one is maybe.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@dodoazo Maybe means you are not yet decided. That is a no if you think of it in retrospect.
Some of us tend to think more of others than ourselves - we may be afraid to hurt someone's feelings even though agreeing to something might turn out to be the worst for us.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
If you don't want to hurt someone's feelings and you end up hurting yourself, how wise are you then? Is that not foolishness? Just my thinking.
@mydanods Those persons who do that probably hope for the best - that all will be well and that their instincts might have been incorrect.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@Kandae11 You might be right but I wouldn't rest my hope on pure chance.
The only thing that I found difficult to say no was when people need my help. But over the years, I've learned to say no because they seemed to have depended on me too much. But when it comes to parties, gatherings, etc, I always know how to find a good alibi. I'm not someone who can be easily influenced by parties and such.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
You seem to be a generous person. Keep it up.
@miketagz (7433)
Being generous too much was a bad idea, in the end they will forget you because it may think that you may pointed out that you are useless. I will be base on the song Too Much Love will Kill you by Europe.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
Too much love can certainly make people to call you a fool. I wouldn't put my head out when I know the consequences for me are severe. Maybe these individuals are afraid of hurting the other party. But what kind of fear is that.
@miketagz (7433)
@mydanods That's the reality. But if those people are concern about you then it's the best to trust them.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@miketagz Trust them with what?
• Peoria, Arizona
I am an introvert, so I say no to gatherings a lot. I normally feel bad and feel like I disappointed the host. When I say yes, it means like I just said screw it, and finally decided to do something reckless because of the thrill and fun. I feel like that is how most people are. We don't plan to have a bad night, just crazy and fun..
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
I am also a reflective introvert. I can say yes to a gathering unless I know who and who were invited.
• Peoria, Arizona
@mydanods I just rather be a homebody haha being around people exhausts me. Even talking to many people at one time online, not even verbal, just typing just drains me. It is crazy.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@DesirousDreamer Typing drains me also.
There are people that are too nice and afraid to hurt someone's feelings so cannot say no to them.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
What if they get hurt by saying yes? Do they consider that? That is what I am thinking about here.
@saritflor (1711)
• Israel
I believe it has to do with psychological matters as being too shy, no confident or afraid of bad reaction that might comes after we give "no".
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
But there might be consequences for saying yes!
@sjvg1976 (18039)
It's tough for me too to say NO to people as I fear how would they take it. I know I am wrong as in such case I am driven by them but what to say when I don't want to get bad in his or her eyes.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
You could say you want some time to think about it. Then kill the time. That way you never said yes or no.
@sjvg1976 (18039)
@mydanods I know few people who would ask after the time you had given is over. They just wait for for your reply.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
@sjvg1976 Then say you are still thinking about it that it's not an easy decision for you. Nobody ever felt hurt by that.
if i dont like going i say no i wont pretend it doesnt matter if the other person will be annoyed its her or his problem
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
You really say it like you feel it. It's good to be forthright but you should be kind on people's feelings sometimes although you have to watch out for yourself also.
@mydanods some people here(filipinos) force you to go with them which annoys me more they simply dont respect decisions
@deba12 (1111)
I feel bad thinking that my saying No to that person will hurt his feelings. However if he or she demands anything wrong, I vehemently say them No, without thinking about their emotions.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
No, no to wrong requests. That's what I like.
i usually have no trouble saying no.
@mydanods (6782)
• Nigeria
I can then say you're forthright. Straight to the point kind of person.