Gave the cats a can of Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit canned food tonight

@NJChicaa (38534)
United States
March 5, 2018 7:45pm CST
Man did they go crazy over it. It contains 95% rabbit and pork liver in a pate form and the other 5% of the ingredients are, according to the label, "vegetables, fruits, and other wholesome ingredients". A closer look at the ingredients listing shows that the "wholesome ingredients" include clay, salt, minerals, vitamin E, thiamine, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, folic acid, taurine (essential for cat vision!), fish oil, artichokes, cranberries, pumpkin, tomato, blueberries, broccoli, cabbage, kale, and parsley. 95% meat is AWESOME for cats who are obligate carnivores. They have evolved to eat a meat-based diet. So many cheap cat foods are full of fillers like corn gluten meal, corn meal, wheat gluten, etc. CATS DON'T NEED CARBOHYDRATES! They don't even need vegetables so I'm kind of surprised and disappointed to see so many of them listed in the ingredients. . . but at least they are part of the "5%". My cats went NUTS over this canned food. Usually 2 of them are all over it but even Bad Sandy got right up into it as soon as the plate was put down. They normally eat some and then walk away. Nope. All 3 of the cats chowed down until the entire can of food was completely gone and the plate was cleared. That is total cat approval! This product isn't cheap at like $2.49 or $2.79 per 5.5 ounce can but I don't give it to them every day. It is a once a week treat and it is split between 3 cats. Definitely worth the expense! I HIGHLY recommend it!
8 people like this
6 responses
• United Kingdom
6 Mar
We have a dog and she mostly eats fresh meat (she's only tiny so it doesn't cost much more on top of the family budget) but when she has 'dog food' she's partial to rabbit based foods
2 people like this
@NJChicaa (38534)
• United States
6 Mar
I've never seen them go so crazy for a canned food before.
1 person likes this
@Tina30219 (33690)
• Onaway, Michigan
7 Mar
Wow I see why they don’t get it every day for that price.
1 person likes this
@NJChicaa (38534)
• United States
7 Mar
Yes it is expensive! It is a good treat for them.
@Tina30219 (33690)
• Onaway, Michigan
7 Mar
@NJChicaa It sure is
1 person likes this
@shaggin (36676)
• United States
7 Mar
They are well loved cats I can see that. The only ingredient I find odd is clay! Why would they eat clay?
1 person likes this
@NJChicaa (38534)
• United States
7 Mar
I thought that was strange as well. I have no idea on that one.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Mar
It's worth the money if they all like it. When I had cats not all of them would eat the same food
1 person likes this
@NJChicaa (38534)
• United States
7 Mar
It is pricey but I don't mind spending the money when I know that it is high-quality food.
@JohnRoberts (54572)
• Los Angeles, California
6 Mar
Wabbit stew!
1 person likes this
• United States
7 Mar
my "kids" are all about this cheese and gravy one right now.. i still don't understand why nobody makes a 'bug & moth' flavor..i know they'd be all over that..