Getting Called Ma'am

Yes, I keep getting called Ma’am. One of the male cashiers at the local grocery store keeps calling me that. Once in a while he will call me Mrs. But mostly it seems to be Ma’am. I know he is polite but it makes me feel old. Of course, I’ve been called a lot worse over the years. Next time, I might ask him to call me by my first name instead. He’s a young one so I understand why he does that. But it always makes me feel very old.
@Jackalyn (6616)
• Oxford, England
On a visit to Nashville the children of the house were absolutely on pain of a paddling if they did not tcall the adults "Sir" and ""Ma' am." Coming from England where corporal punishment is Forbidden and we call a lot of older people by their first names this seems really very strange to me. I found it very difficult to get used to people saying it. It seems to be a cultural thing of the deep south of America and I suppose Nashville is the beginning of the South.
@HazySue (19911)
It is a sign of respect for some to use ma'am. I know what you mean about feeling old though when they use that. I can still remember how I felt the first time I was called ma'am.
@dodo19 (31917)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I've been called Ma'am quite a few times. It's just really strange. Especially since people will often say that I look so much younger than I really am. So, I'm not too sure how to take it, but I don't say anything. I'm sure it's not an insult. Although I probably would prefer being called miss, to be honest.
@dodo19 Miss is a lot better. You don't look old enough to be called Ma'am.
@dodo19 (31917)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Susan2015 I don't think I look old enough either. I might be almost 30, but people often think I look like I'm 18-19, which I can easily see.
I am used to being called "ma'am" now. But the first time it happens, it is a startle.
@1creekgirl (9899)
Is he possibly from the south? Here kids are taught to say mam as a sign of respect for most any age. It's a custom that is sadly disappearing.
Just one of the "benefits" of age. It's horrifying, isn't it? Mentally you feel pretty much as you always have but reality says different.
@indexer (1196)
• Leicester, England
I would much prefer to be called "Sir" than by my first name by someone I don't know personally. My real pet hate is when a group of us are addressed as "you guys" at Pizza Hut - ugh!!
@Courage7 (5496)
Oh see now I like to be called Ma am. It is very appropriate for me and always has been ever since I was young I never minded it. Once when I was waitressing there was a real batch who got mad becoz I called her Ma am. I said okay Sir, I wont call you Ma am anymore
@Icydoll (13134)
On Mylot too I have seen some people are addressing others as ma'am...as all are friends we can address them as a friend.
If it makes you feel better people have been calling me ma'am since I was ten years old. I'm not kidding. I was always mistaken for being the teacher of my class, and I quit selling candy because when I was ten I kept getting asked out (super creepy). So basically I was old when I was young. Except you are not old. That guy might be like this family I know. The parents instilled manners in their kids, so they call their 14 year old babysitter ma'am. They even call their dad, sir.
You are to young to feel old so I hope he calls you by your name.