Well, You Could Be a Pet Food Taster

I do remember eating a tiny bit of our dogs's Milk-Bone dog biscuits when I was a little kid. I did chew and swallow a little bit of that dog biscuit, and I have to say that dog biscuit was rather flavorless, but nice and crunchy. There are professional pet food tasters. That job is not easy to get or an easy job to perform. A pet food taster must have the ability to determine what tastes a pet would like. Pet food tasters must also make sure the pet foods they taste meet a brand's exacting quality standards. There are quite a few pet food tasters gainfully employed, and those folks really do like their jobs. Pet food tasters are well aware that actually eating the pet food in their mouths is not a good idea. There are animals foods out there that are definitely not safe for humans to swallow due to the foods not meeting the nutritional needs of humans. A pet food taster must chew a sample of individual pet foods very carefully. While chewing, the pet food taster must concentrate on the pet food in his or her mouth and give honest feedback about the pet food. After giving feedback about the food tasted, the pet food taster spits the food out. A pet food taster can log in 100 tastes of dog food, cat food, and even parrot food each day. An entry level pet food taster can make about $30,000 a year. An experienced pet food taster can make around $75,000 a year. Experience in food preparation, along with a good palette, is what those who employ pet food tasters are after. Due to the fact that a pet food taster writes a lot of reports in a laboratory environment, candidates for pet food taster must be able to describe each pet food's subtleties in texture and taste. A great skill for a potential pet food taster to have is that of a food technologist. A food technologist researches and develops new food products in order to improve the quality of existing products. A degree in nutrition/food science is also a plus. Some companies offer work-based training for those who want to be pet food tasters.
It's a tough job but someones gotta do it. SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1lgMyGJ Facebook: http://facebook.com/dylanhesp Instagram: http://instagram.com/dylhesp S...
That sounds genuinely terrible.
@AKRao24 (20712)
This is a farce dear friend ...no need to get terrible about it...@AmbiePam! Thanks!
@AKRao24 It's a good fake out.
@AKRao24 (20712)
Have a nice time and be relaxed my dear friend @AmbiePam ! Thanks!
Interesting but not for me. I could not get that dog food down. However, who knows what can happen. Once I get back to the states and I cannot get a good job perhaps I might have to reconsider since I don't think people are knocking doors down to get this job.
I think only a rare breed would do this job.
Philip Wells is a dog food tester - which yes, means he eats dog food for a living.
@Corbin5 thanks for the link. I too think only a few people could really do this.
@velvet53 (17323)
• Palisade, Colorado
I will pass on this job. It doesn't sound very appetizing
@velvet53 (17323)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Corbin5 There may be good money in testing pet food but I just couldn't do it.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@velvet53 I would be sick if I tried any. Nice to see you around, hope you are well.
@Icydoll (23567)
Interesting one ...but not for me...sounds terrible
@AKRao24 (20712)
This is an humbug dear@Icydoll! Just chill! Thanks!
@Icydoll (23567)
@AKRao24 (20712)
Yes dear friend by this time you must have come to know about me dear @Icydoll ! This is a marketing strategy! Thanks!
My sister would be great for it . . . she used to try all her pets' foods . She wasn't a nutritionist or food scientist, but she did a lot of research for food health for her furry loves, and she was an English major to be able to write up such reports .
There are several who do the job.
@Corbin5 I wonder what their salaries are . You figure if it's safe for human consumption, it's gotta be safe for pets!
@much2say Well, $30,000 to $35,000 to start and up to $75,000.
@akalinus (20158)
One of my kids and a friend went to the store. They gave out sample packets of dog biscuits in different colors. The kids ate them all on the way home from the store. Not the same thing, but funny.
That is so cute.
@akalinus (20158)
@Corbin5 I read the ingredients on the package and found nothing harmful. But a bag of something else would have been better.
Couldn't pay me a billion dollars to do that
Some folks will do strange stuff for cash.
@Corbin5 not this one. Lol
@thelme55 (14944)
Very interesting. That is not a job for me but if I really need an income I would do that.
@mydanods (6749)
• Nigeria
Not a job for me too. I wouldn't like to be eating animal food for income.
@mydanods Me neither.
I would do it for $75,000 if no other jobs were available. It would take a lot of time to get used to that job.
@Shortail (862)
Are they going to send me in veterinarian instead in the hospital if there's something wrong happened?
I think a veterinarian does a better job than a doctor, so you would be in good hands.
Dina Kupfer reports and solicits fellow anchors to try dog food!
@Shortail (862)
@Corbin5 really? alright then, testimonials coming from the former patients, I feel safe now.
@Courage7 (12212)
I used to sneak bits of dog food out of the bag when I was a child and my grandma hit me with the broom lol
I thought the dog cookies were pretty good.
@Courage7 (12212)
There are others better suited for that job.
This fellow does it, along with others. Not for me.
@Corbin5 he is a champ. Bless his heart.
I have never thought about how manufacturers work out what pets like and don't like. Fancy having pet food tasters. That's a new career to me.
Strange but true.
@Freelanzer (9496)
Good pay but no thanks.
Yep, not my kind of job.
Not for me - I am picky even about foods designed for human consumption.
I would not be able to do it.
@AKRao24 (20712)
Interesting post dear friend @Corbin5 ! Though I know this ...as a Vet and more that being lover of nature human beings can never understand the appetite and taste of a pet. everythibg depend upon the deficiency they have in the body! I have many dogs with me and initially I used to ffed them with ready made feeds...to find that they never liked.....there after my dogs get traditional feeds what they are suppose to get and they are happy so am I! Thnaks!
I suppose some people hire others to taste-test as a marketing tool.
• Pamplona, Spain
It might seem a silly question but do you have to swallow that food? Money is very good but not for me I don´t think or maybe it would be not sure about that.
No, no swallowing. Spitting!!
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Thank goodness for that then. I did wonder if they ever did get to swallow any of it. Dog biscuits used to be better I reckon in quality.
• Pamplona, Spain
@lovinangelsinstead21 Mind you I have tasted biscuits for humans and they tasted much worse than the actual Dog Biscuits that I used to buy.
@nanette64 (17858)
• Fairfield, Texas
Considering I have 13 of them, they can be picky boogers @Corbin5 even though when I open a can, it looks pretty good. The shredded beef looks pretty good but then again, I don't think they want to share. I don't think I'd make a good pet tester.
I would not last long as a pet food taster.
@MsBooklover (4046)
I would think that one could get sick from that. I thank God that I am not that hungry.
Me too. I guess you just savor and spit. I could not do that.
@Corbin5 They may be desperate for money.
@inertia4 (27713)
Now that is one job that I don't think I would ever want. Not that some pet food is bad, but I am sure there are many varieties of pet food a taster has to taste. And that is just not my thing. And besides, I am a very picky eater as it is.
Just the taste of dog or cat food would make me feel sick. Not the job for me, for sure.
@inertia4 (27713)
@Corbin5 I hear that loud and clear. I could never do that job.
@cintol (7659)
I don't think I could do that job, no matter the pay. They do make some pet foods now that are suitable for human consumption, I still wouldn't eat it but its out there. Congrats to those who could handle this job.
I would become physically sick, I am afraid. I applaud those who have stronger stomachs than mine.
@cintol (7659)
@Corbin5 Right, I couldn't imagine.