Its Closing Day!

A few months ago our son and his new wife found another home that they wanted to buy. After they toured it, they set up another appointment and my husband and I toured it and gave them our opinion on it. And it was a great opinion. It has 4 or 5 bedrooms, it is a nice sized home, not overly large rooms, just normal sized. The lot is a pie-shaped lot near the end of a crescent street, so they have lots of backyard to enjoy. And today is closing day! And we are so happy for them both. And best of all, we'll be about an hour closer to them now!! Hurray for that!
That is nice. Good for them.
Thanks, they have a lot of work to do before the contractors can arrive. They have to tear out all of the flooring on the main floor, as it will all be replaced, and they also have to gut the large bathroom as that will be replaced.
@Juliaacv they have a lot if work ahead. I would enjoy that
@sharon6345 They like to save money, but they aren't handy when it comes to these things. So my husband took the rest of the week off of work and he'll meet them down at the house and stay there and tear up the baseboards, the carpeting and the underpad and then gut 1 of the bathrooms. They have a contractor coming in, they have $10,000 worth of new flooring to be laid and a new bathroom to be installed. They probably won't take on any other projects this year other then painting because they are going to take 2 trips later on this year.
I'm very happy for them. Congratulations on them also being closer.
Thank you so much! I had to work today, while my husband met the kids down at the house and started tearing apart a few rooms. They will stay there tonight-like camping, and then work again tomorrow, while I go into the office here. On Saturday morning on my way out of town, I have to pick up the subway tiles for the shower surround and bring them with me. I'll see a big difference when I get there as the last time I went thru the house it was staged and for sale. Now its all bought and will be torn apart.
@Juliaacv Looks like a lot of work ahead for them. Where will they live while they renovate?
@just4him They are going to stay in the home they are currently living in until the end of March. By then the renovations should be complete, and the paint dried and they will move slowly. Every weekend they plan on driving to the new home with some boxes and on Good Friday my husband will be getting a big truck from his workplace and driving it down to move their furniture. We are giving them our washer and dryer, and they don't have a lot as they only have 1 bedroom suite.
Sounds like a very nice home! And yay for being closer!
It will be beautiful once the contractor finishes. The kids picked up some beautiful floor tiles for the big bathroom, and we ordered the tiling for the walls for them, and I'll pick that up in a couple of days once its in. They have a really big job in the back yard. There is a gazebo, but its too close to the house, so our son wants it moved, which is a huge undertaking. Maybe in the summer they can tackle that project together.
@Juliaacv so jealous they have a gazebo! But that is alot of work waiting for them.
@Courtlynn Its quite a nice large sized gazebo, but some of the screens need replacing. The kids will be travelling this summer so they don't have as much time to work on the yard as they could, but they'll have next summer. I'll try to take a picture of it when I go there this weekend to share with you.
I am glad they found a home they like, congratulations.
Thank you. They have a few weeks so that the contractors can get the renovations completed before they move in. They are moving on Easter weekend.
@Juliaacv It is not a long waiting. They have the time to pack their things.
@LadyDuck They bought the home between Christmas and the new year, so they've had lots of time to slowly pack, and they are more minimalist then we are, so there isn't as much to pack.
@yugocean (8850)
Home is good as per your description on it; but I perfer long rooms; My bedroom is the largest in our home.
Their rooms are all a good size.
@yugocean (8850)
@Juliaacv area is?
@yugocean We are in Ontario, Canada.
That's all really good news. An hour closer will make a huge difference.
It will help, 2 hours was just too long, but this is easier for them.
@Juliaacv My mother was 2 1/2 hours away and we visited every three weeks. We did get tired of that trip over time.
@JudyEv Our kids really disliked the city that they lived in. It was a border city and kind of rough as a result. This will take them to a cleaner more country-like small city. The shopping isn't very exciting in the city that they are moving to, but they can drive to larger centers to shop.
Happy closing to them!! I hope all goes well. We almost lost a house TWICE at closing,
My husband and I had our home sold 3 different times before it actually took last year. So often deals fall thru, but this one didn't.
@Juliaacv Good to hear!!!
@nela13 (9923)
• Portugal
Very Good news! Glad they found a nice house
Thank you, this is a 4 or 5 bedroom home. And the way that it is laid out is just ideal for entertaining, and they are at that age and stage in life that they want to host large gatherings. And of course I'm so proud of them for that as it takes some of the pressure off of us.
Congratulations to your son and daughter in law on their new home and it's awesome that they will be an hour closer to you!!
I am really really looking forward to being together with them this weekend. I wanted to take today and tomorrow off from work, but its bad timing at work, so I stayed behind. And I hate being home alone, I will have to stay awake until I know that I'll fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, otherwise I'll cry that my husband isn't here. But......on Saturday I will drive down and we will all be together at their home. And there will not be any tv or radio noise to disturb us-of course there will be a lot of work to be done, but they will take it easy on me as I'll be bringing food down.
• Lenox, Georgia
Aw, congrats to your son and his wife!! That is exciting. =)
Thank you. My husband took today and tomorrow off from work and will drive down and meet the kids and they will tear out the 1 bathroom and tear up all of the baseboards and the carpeting and underlay on the main floor. I'll join them on Saturday morning, but I'm not really going to do much work. I do have to pick up the subway tiles for the walls in the bathroom before I leave town here, my husband ordered them a few days ago and they won't be in until late Friday.
@mydanods (6740)
• Nigeria
An hour close is still far according to me but it is still something. At least you can go for the weekends now.
We will only spend weekends there if they need my husband to do work on the house. He's leaving on Thursday morning and will stay until Sunday working on things for them in preparation for the contractors arrival.
That is wonderful news!
Thanks, this is going to be a great place to host family gatherings once they get all of the work done. They have a lot of space for large get-togethers, and they are at that stage where they want to host things.
That sounds so exciting.
We're excited for them. My husband is going there in the morning to meet them. He will stay until Sunday. They will tear out 1 bathroom and all of the baseboard trim and flooring on the main floor. He is having hardwoods installed along with a 1 new bathroom to start off with this year.