I feel sorry for hubby

He had expected to heal more quickly and is very unhappy. He is not eating much at all. The best I can offer him is protein packed smoothies. He was supposed to see the dentist Friday, but they will see him tomorrow, just to make sure he is doing okay. It makes me sad that he is in pain. It does keep us from eating out, though. I am not resting well, so it is early to bed for me. My brain is tired.
I am very sorry, I told you that I was surprised the dentist would extract all the teeth at the same time, it is impossible to eat.
Sometimes they take out more than that. These were mostly rotten, too, so they really needed pulled. It turns out there were seven that needed removed. My parents, over forty years ago had more than that pulled. It is not ideal, I am sure, but he wanted it this way.
@GardenGerty I think in the olden days they'd take them all out and whack the dentures straight in. It must have been horrendous.
@GardenGerty In the old days they did horrible things. Now doctors and dentists are more careful. I am very deep root and sensitive gums, they would never pull out more than two teeth in a single session.
@Courage7 (11640)
Sorry to hear he is in pain..I pray it eases for him. This must be very sad for you understand.
It is sad, but it should have been done several years ago. I just wish I had the time off to stay home.
@Courage7 (11640)
@GardenGerty I wish you did too.
@Courage7 He saw the dentist today and they did some adjustments.
I'm sorry his mouth is so sore. I would hate to have that many teeth out at once.
They never do here, never more than 2 at a time. I know that it is painful for about one week and you cannot eat anything.
He wanted to be able to get the dentures in immediately. So he chose this route.
@GardenGerty I know that is how they do it sometimes.
@sallypup (27938)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Everyone heals differently. I hope he hasn't an infection somehow. Poor guy.
He is on an antibiotic and will check in with the dentist today to see how it looks.
@Telynor (1325)
It's a lot of stress to be taking care of an ailing partner. You both need rest!
I took care of my first husband during a terminal illness. I still have to work.
Sleep! if he can sleep that will help ttoo
He has no trouble sleeping. He just is not getting in enough nutrition. It takes protein to heal. AND he expected to heal up like a younger person.
I'm so sorry for what your husband is going through and hope he recovers quickly. They say the mouth heals quickly, but I think all those extractions at once must be awful.
The denture had to be adjusted. He needs to rinse with salt water. He actually is able to eat some semi solid food now.
@GardenGerty Salt water is great and that's wonderful news!!!! He'll be well and adjust to the new dentures in no time a all.
@DianneN He is doing much better now.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
In December of 2016 I had the last 10 bottom teeth pulled at the same time @GardenGerty . Besides bleeding like a pig, it took 2 months before I could eat anything but soup. I had to have the bottom denture redone since my gum had shrunk in that 2 months. It is still a pain in the butt with dentures to eat certain foods. I can forget about an apple unless I cut it up. An ear of corn is out of the question.
He did not have excessive bleeding. The dentures did need to be readjusted. He is eating more now. To prevent shrinking he was told not to take the denture out for a week. He has had an upper for a long long time. The bottom one is harder for him to get used to.
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
@GardenGerty Yeah, I never had a problem with the top one either. Even with using the 'glue', when I eat, the bottom one gets food under it and it comes out. What a pain in the butt. If I could afford it, I'd have the dang implants done.
@nanette64 I do find myself wondering about those. I have had some crowns break and need to have work done.
I'm sorry your husband's mouth isn't healing well and needs to see the dentist again. I hope it gets better soon. I hope you got a good night's sleep.
Besides hubby being so down and in pain, I have some other kind of cold again. Yuk. He is doing much better this afternoon as the dentist adjusted the dentures some.
@GardenGerty I'm glad he's doing better. I'm sorry you have another cold.
@just4him This one came out of nowhere as the kids at school do not seem to be sick.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm sorry your hubby is hurting. I hope his problem is fixed soon so that you will both feel better.
You have been through a lot with your hubby lately. You know how it feels.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@GardenGerty It's hard for me to realize that I can expect him to become weaker as he gets older. He's almost 80 now. I think God for every day he wakes up.
@bagarad Is he much older than you are. My husband is eight years older than I am.
@cintol (7534)
When I had teeth extracted I didn't eat much either. Pretty much yogurt and shakes was about it and the shakes were with a spoon since you can't use a straw. I feel for him, I hope the dentist can do something for his pain.
After seeing the dentist for a follow up today he is feeling much better. They did some adjustments. I had no problems when I had my wisdom teeth pulled.
@cintol (7534)
@GardenGerty I had a hole from one of mine that took years to completely close up, I had to keep flushing it out. It was a pain Glad hes doing better
@cintol Oh no, that sounds awful.
Poor guy! But it's for the best, get it all over with at once. My sister did that, I couldn't believe they did them all at once but she did fine, She has been glad ever since,
I am sure he will be fine in the long run. This has just been a long week for him.
@GardenGerty It's the here and now that's important today. Sending healing vibes.
@Jeanniemaries Thank you.
I can imagine it would be extremely painful for quite some time. Smoothies are a great idea. Maybe mashed potatoes and applesauce too?
There are some things that are beginning to sound good to him. I used an immersion blender and pulverized some clam chowder for him, thinning it with a little milk. He ate the whole thing.
@GardenGerty that sounds really gross to me lol but when your starving you will be less picky they say
@shaggin Clam chowder is one of his favorites. We may venture into refries and rice and chili soon as he says he could probably handle that.
@rakski (20670)
ow, poor hubby. I hope he gets well soon.
I think he will be on the mend soon. I am getting him food he can eat and he will see the dentist again today.
@rakski (20670)
@GardenGerty oh goodie. I hope he gets better soon.
@rakski They adjusted the denture, shaping it some more. They also told him to rinse with warm salt water (which I had told him, too) a few times a day to help him heal. He is doing better this afternoon.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
How many did he have out? I had one out 2 weeks ago because I had terrible toothache but since it went I haven't had even one twinge of pain so didn't have to take any pain killers. Teeth can be so much trouble. I do sympathise with him.
I thought five but the bill said seven. Two were more complex. The denture plate needed some adjustment and that has helped immensely.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@GardenGerty That would take a bit of time to heal but once it is he will feel so much better. I could taste the decay in just one tooth and I knew it needed to come out. I feel my breath is much fresher now.
I can see why you do not rest because you are worried about your husband.
Yes, but we will get through this.
@GardenGerty I am glad Heather that you will get through it.
That must be awful for you to see him in that condition.
Yes, because he is just not quite himself. It is better today, though, since the dentist did some readjustment.
I hope that he gets some relief soon.
His trip to the dentist today for follow up helped him a lot, both physically and it made him feel more positive.
I am sorry he is having such a hard time, my hubs did heal quickly and was able to eat almost right away but of course, it was only 2 teeth. Hopefully, he will be feeling great soon.
Yes, I have not ever had more than one or two out at a time. His were infected and needed to go, so I am sure he will be feeling better soon.
Im sad for you both hope you guys get well soon
I sure hope so too.