Oh Joy, Another CT Scan in the Morning

Tomorrow morning I have to get a CT scan at the local hospital. I have to drink 32 ounces of water beforehand, which I have never heard of doing with a CT scan, and I've had plenty of them over the years. The CT scan itself is no big deal, but I'm not looking forward to chugging all that water. The only time I've ever had to do that was for pelvic ultrasounds. The CT scan is to check for a hernia recurrence, so I'm confused about the need to drink all that water. Have any of you ever heard of having to drink a ton of water before a CT scan?
@yugocean (8762)
It is normal to not to eat for few hours before CT scan, but usually drinking water is normal; they may ask to drink 500ml of water.
I have had many CT scans over the years and have never had to drink water beforehand, so this is new to me.
@yugocean Correct, the amount of liquid we are request to drink here is 500 ml, that is about 16 ounces and not 32.
@LadyDuck Sixteen ounces wouldn't be too bad. Thirty-two is a lot and I hate chugging that amount really fast.
Yes, before a CT scan you are asked not to eat for 2 hours before the appointment and to drink 500 ml (about 16 ounces) of water (tea or coffee are okay) to keep you hydrates. The half of the liquid they told you is required here.
Perhaps different doctors have different requirements. Every time I've had a CT scan in the past, they never told me not to eat and I never had any special instructions on drinking anything.
@Srbageldog This is the rule of all Swiss Hospital, it is not a decision of the doctor. It is the same in Italy.
@yugocean (8762)
@Srbageldog You should ask Doctor, why he told you to drink 32 ounce instead of 16?
@Ithink (10536)
I have had one and so has my husband but neither of us had to drink water, hmmm. I hope all the testing goes good thou.
I got my CT scan results back, everything looks good!
@Ithink (10536)
@Srbageldog YAY! One thing down, I so hope you heal fast.
@Ithink Thank you.
yup.it has something to do with the imaging. tho it seems to be dealer's choice on that one.sometimes they do,sometimes they don't..
Well, at least I know that the receptionist didn't just make up those instructions to torture me.
@Srbageldog i had to pee when i got my ultrasound..it's like come on lady,hurry the frick up.
@scarlet_woman Oh gods, the last time I had a pelvic ultrasound I thought I was gonna pee my pants. I freaking hate those.
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi! I am sorry to hear that. Hoping that everything will be okay. I think that water is important because you might experience dehydration while inside the CT scanner. My dad just had his surgery yesterday due to hernia too. All is okay and praying that all is fine.
Thank you. I'm glad your dad's surgery went okay!
@mlgen1037 (29645)
• Manila, Philippines
@Srbageldog Yes. Thank you too. Keep us updated okay?
@mlgen1037 I definitely will.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
I haven't had a CT scan lately, but I know I've had to take large amounts of awful tasting liquids before some kinds of X-rays. I wish you the best. I suppose the best is having it over with.
Thank you. Oh, some of those liquids they make you drink before certain types of X-rays truly are disgusting. I don't remember ever having to drink anything with a CT scan before, though. Maybe I have in the past and just forgot.
@bagarad (12618)
• Paso Robles, California
@Srbageldog That's possible. I think I may have had to drink lots of water before an ultrasound, and I remember how hard it was to hold onto it until the test was done.
I have no idea but I will keep you in my prayers and hope everything goes well.
Thank you.
Hope all goes well with it.
Thank you.