What do you fear most in life?

photo from pixabay
@sprite1950 (13029)
Corsham, England
One of my biggest fears is that I will die before I have the chance to bring up my granddaughter. She has been with me since she was 4 and is now 11 but I want to see her grow into a happy and well adjusted adult. There is no one else who could look after her if I went so she could go into the care system. Before I had children my fears were different. I suppose I might have worried about losing my parents but once you have children and grandchildren, people you care about more than yourself, new feelings come to the surface. What is your biggest fear in life?
Last year, I would have answered ghost. But now I seem to fear nothing in life. I am not afraid to die because I know my son and the rest of the people I live behind will be ok, financially, not sure emotionally. But I know they will be strong. But I don't want to die now. I'm just 40 and my son will turn 14 next week. I want to live a full long life to see him married and have his own family. But if I ever did, he will be ok, like I turned out to be ok when I lost both of my parents at the age of 13.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@toniganzon It must have been horrible to lose your parents at such a tender age. It's nice that your son will be well cared for if you were not there but I'm sure you will go on to live a long and healthy life.
@mydanods Yeah. I'm not a religious person but I believe in God. Every time I feel weak, I turn to God. Some people may call me stupid or even crazy for having faith in something or someone we haven't really seen and couldn't really prove exists, but I don't care. Having faith in him gives me peace and courage. Losing my parents was horrible, but me and my siblings survived that chapter in our life and we are all doing ok with our own respective family.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@toniganzon You sound like a strong well adjusted person.
I don't know if you'd term it a 'fear' but I am concerned about dying before Scar does. He's just turning three this spring and could live another 14 years or so. My health is bad enough that I'm not sure I'd make it that long, and he needs a one-cat household...plus he isn't real big on other people, so I don't know what will happen if someone tries to take him in if/when I pass.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@JolietJake I have made arrangements for my dogs should I go before them. One will go to my daughter and the other will go back to the foster home she came from. Hopefully I will outlive them but I have decided not to have any more after they are gone as I'm not young. Hopefully everything will be fine but Is there no one you could entrust Scar to should the worst happen?
@sprite1950 My brothers and sisters have cats, and Scar doesn't like other animals. As well he only is allowed out on a lead, and I don't know how well he would accept living with anyone else...he's a bit different than any other cat I've ever had time with.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@JolietJake You don't really want him going to a shelter though .. you're just going to have to outlive him!
Losing my husband is my biggest fear. We have no children, our parents are all gone. I do not care about my life, it would be meaningless without my husband.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@LadyDuck I guess that's the biggest drawback of not having children, I'm sure you have friends though.
@sprite1950 Yes, we have some very good friends. I have known people who had children and when they were no more healthy and old, their children do not even went to see them anywhere. I have known more than one.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@LadyDuck Yes that does happen. I think my son might be like that although my daughter wants to move closer to me a she is a long car journey away. I would hate to be a burden to her though.
Mine is actually is quite selfish: but I do NOT want to let my mental faculties and cognitive abilities be impaired by anything !
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@enlightenedpsych2 It's not that selfish. I'm sure a lot of people fear that.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
That's a disability.
@mydanods it is a disability I will not give any room to grow in, so I keep my mental faculties sharp using a combination of maintenance techniques and such
• Austin, Texas
My fear is not about this life. My fear is that hell is real and its eternal.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
I never thought hell was real. I thought it was made real by people and not by God.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@cmoneyspinner hey lady, good to see you here
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@mydanods I saw a tv programme where a priest said exactly the same. He believed that hell was a made up place that our ancesters had used to keep people under control and it has lasted through the ages.
We have one child, our son, and if anything happened to him, that would be the end of me.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Corbin5 I used to think that when my children were little and I still worry about them but now I have a granddaughter and I worry about her too. Loving people is just fraught with worries.
@sprite1950 It really is, my friend. I could not go on living if anything happened to our son. No way.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Corbin5 I feel the same. Every day when my granddaughter leaves the house for school I pray that she will stay safe. She's just started to walk to school by herself as she's 11 and the schools like them to be able to walk to school on their own in their last year at primary school. I can't rest until she's safely back in the house when she finishes though.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
My biggest fear is to contact an incurable disease that I wouldn't have the resources to seek a cure or the doctors would be unable to find a cure for. It would be horrible having to die slowly like that.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
@sprite1950 How is she?
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@mydanods She's good now. She had chemo and radiotherapy and is back at work. There's no guarantee she will be fine forever but she's in remission right now so fingers crossed.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
@sprite1950 Fingers crossed. We'll keep her in our prayers
@cherigucchi (4453)
I fear that something bad might happen to my loved ones. I always pray for their safety and protection
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@cherigucchi I think it's the same for many of us. The more people you love the bigger those fears become.
@sprite1950 I agree with you on that.
@elanalove (643)
I have fear from height...
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@elanalove I'm terrified of heights too especially if it looks down over water.
@nela13 (6134)
• Portugal
My biggest fear is tthat my kids could be kidnapped and I would never know what happened to them, that would drives me crazy.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
That would be terrible. I think you would know the case of British child Madeleine McCann who was kidnapped while on holiday in Portugal and has never been found, Her parents left her while they dined out. I would never have left my children that way.
@nela13 (6134)
• Portugal
@sprite1950 yes, I know the case, that was terrible. I would never leave my kids alone too.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@nela13 I don't think she will ever be found. A lot of people over here have no sympathy for the parents because they feel they shouldn't have left them.
@Icydoll (15171)
My biggest fear is losing beloved ones :(.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Icydoll I think that's the biggest fear for most people.
@Icydoll (15171)
@sprite1950 yeah it is
@miketagz (7499)
I don't fear, I'm feeling sweat. Like summer.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@miketagz You must be afraid of something, we all are.
@miketagz (7499)
@sprite1950 I'm only afraid of natural calamities that's all I know. Hope you saw her again if you haven't meet for a long time.
@Starmaiden (5117)
Focusing on worries only manifests as your greatest fear come true. So I try not to worry about anything. But the worst thing that could happen to me other than losing one of my children, is if I were to lose my mind to dementia or Alzheimer's.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Starmaiden My mother had dementia at the end. She didn't forget who I was but she did forget my daughter which was very upsetting for her as they used to be close when she was little. It's a horrible disease but we see more because people are living longer. Years ago when the 50s or 60s was old age it was virtually unheard of.
@cintol (5487)
My biggest fear is losing another child, I already have lost two, 1 at 8 wks and his twin brother at 31 yrs. I have 2 children left and worry so deeply about them, I just couldn't bury another child.
• San Jose, California
I have a similar fear. My adult child has made a lot of risky decisions in the past couple of years, and I'm often fearful that I'll get a knock at the door in the middle of the night with the police asking me to come identify a body.
@cintol (5487)
@spiderdust It is the worst feeling in the world and you never get over it. I hope your child becomes a little more aware of the dangers you fear for them, I pray they will always be safe..
@cintol (5487)
@sprite1950 Something inside takes over and you push to move on, you have others who need you and you feel you can't let them down no matter how your hurting inside. You hide your tears until your alone, it is a very lonely place. I feel for your friend. I am also glad your son straightened himself out and hope you never will have to feel like that again.
@sashann (211)
maybe I am at my quarter life crisis i'm scared of everything specially when I got kids, when I was single I am afraid only to get bumped not scared to die, and now i am very fearful
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@sashann It sounds like you are suffering from anxiety issues. I have been worse since I retired. Too much time to think.
@sashann (211)
@sprite1950 Yeah I think, because sometimes my body is shaking when I am worried even in a little things, :( what is yourjob before:)
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@sashann I used to be a cook in an old people's home. I loved it.
@nanette64 (17509)
• Fairfield, Texas
That I die before my dang house is paid off and I can enjoy it without having to shell out a monthly payment. It will be paid off in 3 years when I'll be 70 @sprite1950 . And with my health, 3 years can be a long time.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@nanette64 You're the same age as me and I have 18 months left on mine. 3 years isn't too long .. my health is good but we never know what is round the corner .. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow.
@nanette64 (17509)
• Fairfield, Texas
@sprite1950 That's fantastic that you only have 18 months left. Watch them dang buses.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@nanette64 I will make sure I do
@dya80dya (1961)
My biggest fear is I will never recover from anxiety and panic attacks. And the fear of becoming crazy.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@dya80dya I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering this way. Is there anyone who can help you?
@dya80dya (1961)
@sprite1950 Nobody can help me.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@dya80dya I'm so sorry to hear that, Take care of yourself as best you can.
• Bridgton, Maine
One fear I have is about my brother's physical health. He's very overweight, smokes, doesn't eat in a healthy manner, and doesn't get any exercise. He's a heart attack waiting to happen.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@MainerMikeBrown That is worrying. I hope you nag him to change his diet and exercise more.
• Bridgton, Maine
Snowdrop, the thing is he won't listen to anybody who tells him to lose the weight and stop smoking. He'll just say, "Oh, I'll be alright!"
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@MainerMikeBrown That must be hard for you and your family.
@Katiepie (121)
• Okotoks, Alberta
My biggest fear is dying young and not getting to experience everything id like to.
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Katiepie I never used to think about it when I was young. It's only since I had children and a grandchild that I fear it.
@Prshnth (945)
• Bangalore, India
failing in life..not the temporary ones..but fear of failing in life
@sprite1950 (13029)
• Corsham, England
@Prshnth Just do your best and you won't. Have faith in yourself.