Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 5 Amos 5 Amos 5:1 Hear ye this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house of Israel. 2 The virgin of Israel is fallen; she shall no more rise: she is forsaken upon her land; there is none to raise her up. 3 For thus says the Lord GOD; The city that went out by a thousand shall leave a hundred, and that which went forth by a hundred shall leave ten, to the house of Israel. 4 For thus says the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live: 5 But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to naught. 6 Seek the LORD, and ye shall live; lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and devour it, and there be none to quench it in Bethel. 7 Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth, 8 Seek him that makes the seven stars and Orion, and turns the shadow of death into the morning, and makes the day dark with night: that calls for the waters of the sea, and pours them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name: 9 That strengthens the spoiled against the strong, so that the spoiled shall come against the fortress. 10 They hate him that rebukes in the gate, and they abhor him that speaks uprightly. 11 Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them. 12 For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right. 13 Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time. 14 Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken. 15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph. 16 Therefore the LORD, the God of hosts, the Lord, says thus; Wailing shall be in all streets; and they shall say in all the highways, Alas! Alas! And they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skillful of lamentation to wailing. 17 And in all vineyards shall be wailing: for I will pass through thee, says the LORD. 18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! To what end is it for you? The day of the LORD is darkness, and not light. 19 As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him. 20 Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? Even very dark, and no brightness in it? 21 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 22 Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. 25 Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? 26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. 27 Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, says the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts. Have you felt like someone has given up on you, or you have given up on someone who is stubborn and rebellious and won’t listen to reason? God said the virgin daughter of Israel had fallen and would not rise again. He also said he would not consider their sacrifices or smell the aroma of them because they did not worship him, but went after Moloch and Chiun, and wore the stars of their gods. He pleaded with his people to return to him, but because they would not, he sent them into captivity. It might seem like people have given up on you, but they have not. In most cases they are waiting for you to come to your senses and see reason. God never totally gave up on his people. He also sought them and told them if they returned to him, they would be found by him. Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. As Christians, you know the forgiving power of God through Jesus Christ, your Savior. You know every sin you committed is wiped away as though you had never committed it. God wants you to know him, to put him first above anything else you hold dear. When you do, he will give you the desires of your heart. If you don’t, you will not receive the blessings he promises to those who follow him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. When you seek God, you will find him. Let’s pray: Father, help me put you first in my life, to seek you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Help me know you and the power of your love for me. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 8 March 2018 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
I heard it said that "A chapter a day keeps the devil away". before joining mylot, that was my plan - reading a chapter from the bible everyday - but I missed quite a few days for one reason or the other. Now on mylot, I get a bible lesson and bible verses everyday - just letting you know how much I appreciate the daily bible study.
I'm glad I can help in some small way. You're welcome. Have a blessed day.
Thanks for another good bible study. Great as always.
You're welcome. Have a blessed day.
@Daelii (4759)
Thank you! As always another perspective to think about while dealing with some personal thoughts! It will help with my daily prayers!
You're welcome. I'm so glad the study is helpful to you. Have a blessed day.