How to get rid of my close friend?

@off124 (128)
I am in a very complex situation and need some advice. I have friend of mine since I was a child. Now I feel he is not changing himself as most of time when we get older we change. He is not working and all the time spending time in bad activities and want me to hangout with him. I felt he is dragging me and wasting my time. How I can get rid of him.
I am going through the same thing. Don't waste your voice on him. When he calls don't answer. Soon he will be gone.
This is also a good option for getting rid of people. It just takes some a little longer than others to get the message. haha
@CaseyRoss9966 yes you ignore them. Waste of life people won't be a problem.
• Bridgton, Maine
Shay, not answering his phone calls won't necessarily cause him to go away.
Why not meet him in a public place like a café and tell him exactly that?
@off124 (128)
Almost afraid to be straight forward
@off124 No need to be. You can't complain and not do anything. The problem won't disappear by itself.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi. Just be civil I guess. I do not mean that you talk to him. If he greets you, be civil then you can go your way.
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
If he's trying to get you involved in bad stuff you should just drop him. Tell him you're not interested in the same things as him any more, don't answer his calls and distance yourself from him. You don't want him getting you into trouble.
@off124 (128)
Yes he is trying to control my life
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@off124 That's not good. You must try and break away. Have you got other friends you can hang around with?
@NoorNoor (1184)
Tell him about your thoughts on him directly. then if he didn't understand,just ignore him.
@off124 (128)
I am not straight forward. I also care about his feelings. I don't want to hurt him a lot
@NoorNoor (1184)
@off124 ok but sometimes we should be straight.
@Raj7779 (2922)
• Ahmednagar, India
Just don't give response to him and don't feel him like you are not interested in him
@off124 (128)
Quite good suggestion I think
@Raj7779 (2922)
• Ahmednagar, India
@off124 hope it will help you
@levis2020 (171)
If you could tell him directly then better do that. But if you can't be frank or direct, you can make excuses just to avoid him. I could not tell a person directly because I may offend him, so what I do is think of excuses just to avoid the person.
@off124 (128)
Yes quite right
@anikoonline (3208)
• Hungary
Maybe you should tell him that you fill that your relationship is not good for you.
@off124 (128)
I agree
I would just tell him that. Tell him that people change and grow in different ways and sometimes people aren't meant to stay in our lives. I had a friend for 13ish years and we don't talk as much now as we used to. I simply changed and grew as a person and they didn't and I didn't have time or room in my life for people like her anymore. If what he is doing will affect your life in a negative way then tell him that. You are trying to get yourself together and be an adult and have a successful life and you can't do that if you are always hanging out with someone who has no motivation to better themselves. He might surprise you and change for the better with this information or he might just get mad about it. If he gets mad at you for wanting to better your life then he isn't a good or real friend anyway and you don't need him around.
@off124 (128)
Quite long paragraphs and also many points thanks for your words
@iridion9 (9132)
Just stay away. When he calls you don't answer. When he comes to you let him know you are outside. When he wants to see you tell him maybe next time. just make an alibi
@Starmaiden (7376)
If he's toxic to you, make new friends that will support you. Your co workers is a good place to start.
I think you just have to tell him that you do not have the same lifestyle as he has and it would be best if you two no longer spend time together.
I had a childhood friend who I had to "get rid of" in our mid 20s. She had problems after problems - I could not stand being an ear any longer. I couldn't really "tell" her as she was not one to listen anyway . . . . so I wrote it in a letter. I told her exactly how I felt AND I told her this was not to resolve anything - I wanted to end the friendship. And that is what happened. It was a great weight off my shoulders!