My Husband Has the Flu!

Photo courtesy of morguefile.com
Laguna Woods, California
Just when we thought we had avoided getting the terrible flu which has been going around this winter, my husband became ill on Tuesday afternoon. I took him to our doctor yesterday, and she confirmed that he has Influenza A. She prescribed Tamaflu for him. Now, I have the symptoms of a cold. I hope I do not have the flu, too! We both had our flu shots, but my husband has a very weak immune system because of his kidney disease and other health problems. It is hard for him to fight off anything. Hopefully, we'll both feel much better this weekend! Stay healthy, everyone!
@sallypup (26585)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm terribly sorry to hear about you and your dearest not feeling well.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - Thank you! I'm just about to go to bed for the night, but thought I would check MyLot one last time.
Oh no. I hope you stay well. It takes a lot of energy to help care for a sick spouse.
• Laguna Woods, California
@GardenGerty - Yes, it does. I was exhausted by the time I got home from going to the grocery store. I'm going to bed, now.
I hope you don't get the flu. I can understand your husband's situation though. Even with the vaccine he is still at risk because of his weak immune system. But hope he gets over the flu soon. I didn't get the shot, I haven't gotten the shot ever but I don't seem to get infected by the flu virus at all. These days it's extremely hot as the summer season has already begun in this country, so I take my vitamin c regularly to boost my immune system.
• Laguna Woods, California
I take Vitamin C, too, but I think I need to increase the dose!
@DeborahDiane Other than vitamin C, I take green tea which has high anti-oxidant, and I also drink lemon infused water. If lemons were not that pricey here I would substitute that for plain water. And when I wake up in the morning before brushing my teeth and drinking anything, I take a teaspoon of natural honey.
• Laguna Woods, California
@toniganzon - I also drink green tea and put lemons in my water. I also use a little natural honey, in addition to the Vitamin C which I take. That is probably why I got a much milder case of the flu than my husband did.
@1creekgirl (10159)
I pray your husband will heal with no complications and that you won't catch it. Take care of you both!
• Laguna Woods, California
@1creekgirl - I ended up getting the flu, but recovered within two days. My husband has been sick for five days. I was very worried about him, but he is finally starting to get better.
@1creekgirl (10159)
@DeborahDiane Glad you're both better.
• Laguna Woods, California
@1creekgirl - Thanks so much!
Make sure your husband gets plenty of rest and I hope he will be feeling better soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - He has been in bad shape since Monday, but is finally starting to feel a little better. I have felt sorry for him. I ended up getting a mild case of the flu, but nothing like what he had. I'm almost over it, now.
I am so sorry, I hope you are not also getting the flu. I cross my fingers, the flu should be over here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I ended up getting a touch of the flu, but recovered very quickly. I still have a bit of a cough, but that's all. My husband has been sick for 5 days, but is finally starting to get better.
@DeborahDiane I am glad he is starting to feel better, another couple of days and he should be fine.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Yes, every day he feels better. I hope he is back to normal is a couple of days.
Oh darn! I wish flu season was over! My husband and I have avoided it so far, no flu shots either, but that darn flu is still around. I do hope both of you feel much better this weekend. I have been a mask-wearer and a glove-wearer long enough.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Corbin5 - My husband has a mask on right now, trying not to infect me, but I'm not sure he has been careful enough!
@DeborahDiane That's good that your husband is wearing a mask. Best wishes to both of you.
@DeborahDiane I remember when my husband had an awful cold, I wore the mask and actually used rubber gloves. Like your husband, I have kidney disease too.
• Pamplona, Spain
Wishing that you get over it this weekend and have a good week ahead.
• Laguna Woods, California
Thank you! I'm feeling so much better now. I'm sure I'll be back to normal in another couple of days.
• Pamplona, Spain
@DeborahDiane Hey, glad you are feeling a lot better now and have a good evening ahead.
• Laguna Woods, California
@lovinangelsinstead21 - Thank you so much! I am almost back to normal. My husband is getting better, but much more slowly.
I'm sorry you were attacked by the flu and colds. I hope it doesn't stick around long and you do get over it by the weekend.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I'm not completely over it, yet, but I do feel better ... thank goodness! My husband is still pretty sick.
@DeborahDiane I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope he is too soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I hope he is much better by tomorrow.
I am sorry to hear that. I heard that another flu peek is in March. I hope you will get well soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@youless - I am feeling much better now, although my husband is still sick. It's been a bad year for the flu!
@DeborahDiane I hope your husband will recover soon. All the best!
• Laguna Woods, California
@youless - He's starting to feel better. At least he can eat a little, now. Thanks!
@louievill (18336)
I wish your husband gets well soon and your cold is just a simple case. You are right " stay healthy everyone"
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, we all need to stay as healthy as we can. I'm going to bed soon!
@louievill (18336)
@DeborahDiane and take your vitamins.
• Laguna Woods, California
@louievill - Yes, I have been taking my vitamins. I think they are very important!
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
And considering flu season really lasts until May, that sucks @DeborahDiane . I hope both of you will be okay.
• Laguna Woods, California
@nanette64 - Thanks. I got a touch of the flu, but am almost over it. My husband has been sick since Monday, but is gradually starting to feel a little better.
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JESSY3236 (6224)
I had a cough and cold symptoms. But right now I haven't been coughing. I feel much better now.
• Laguna Woods, California
That cough can be pretty awful. I'm glad you are feeling better, too.
Oh,the flu there has not been over ! Hope your husband and you will soon get better!
• Laguna Woods, California
My husband is still sick but, after 5 days, he is starting to feel a little better. He still has a bad cough, though.
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh no, I hope he gets well quickly and that you do not get it!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Unfortunately, I ended up getting a touch of the flu, too, but felt better after two days. My husband has been sick for five days, but is finally starting to feel a little better. I have been pretty worried about him all week. With all his other health problems, the flu was the last thing he needed!