Mad As a Hatter

Daytona Beach, Florida
This term has been around a long time and many people think that it came about as a result of the Mad Hatter character in “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll. However, this is not true. Mad as a hatter comes from the poisonous hat-making industry in the 1700s and1800s. You are probably wondering what poisonous hats are. Well, those days workers used a toxic substance known as mercury nitrate in order to turn fur into felt lining for hats. Since for many workers this meant prolonged exposure to the toxins they began to tremble and hallucinate. This condition became known as hatter shakes and as a result the idiom mad as a hatter became popular. Tragic but true. Do you know anyone who you could say is mad as a hatter, without the shakes and hallucinations, just strange?
@Courage7 (11817)
How sad that this happened to those people. Such cruel occupations in those days. Well, yes I know a few mad as a hatters in fact. And some do have the hallucinations as well.
I always say I am still crazy after all these years and proud of it @Courage7 just makes life much more interesting.
Now I know the origin of that saying -- very sad indeed.
That's very sad. My folks sold rabbit skins that were later made into hats but not in those early days obviously.
Yes, I think it was a shame to make people work with such toxins @JudyEv
@RasmaSandra Lots of terrible things back in those days - and nothing much has changed in lots of ways. We still treat our fellow humans very disgracefully sometimes.
I see a mad hatter every time I look in the mirror.
and I am always Alice living in my wonderland Shall we have tea? @JohnRoberts
@RasmaSandra As long as no off with their heads.
• Pamplona, Spain
I can think of one or two or maybe three but being how I am I won´t mention them. Just for their sake I let them be as mad as a hatter as they can be. Its just the right month as well.
Yes, this is the month when they refer to people as being madder than a March hare @lovinangelsinstead21
• Pamplona, Spain
@RasmaSandra It seems like that this Month people´s feelings are a bit over the top.
Thank you for this. I never new about that mercury nitrate was used and the ill effect in had on humans. My mom could become mad as a hatter at times.
For my mom, she had no choice. Toward the end, she had sclerosis on the brain and kept asking me about my youngest and oldest sisters and I was an only child @Corbin5
@RasmaSandra My mom had dementia, and in the early stages, she would get very angry. She was frightened and plagued by hallucinations, but once we acquired the right care for her, the medications calmed her down.
Not sure, but, this does not sound good.
Thanks for the interesting info here.