What On Earth Is Sauerkraut

Photo taken by me – question mark
Preston, England
I always like finding cheap bargain foods in shops, and I spotted that a local supermarket was selling very large jars of Sauerkraut off very cheaply. The big glass jar itself will be useful once empty. I assumed that I must have tried Sauerkraut at some time and it was just a variation on Coleslaw. I was rather saddened therefore to find that Sauerkraut tastes vile, akin to string marinated in vinegar, and that my memory of it tasting OK was some kind of false memory syndrome. I’m glad the jar was very cheap, and I expect the horrible contents are a clue as to why. Arthur Chappell
On the contrary, sauerkraut tastes very delicious. It has to be prepared properly. I bet you @MALUSE could tell you a lot about it.
Thanks for thinking of me! But I must disappoint you. I'm not a sauerkraut expert. I ate it occasionally when I still lived at home but haven't prepared it for a long time. A reason may be that my husband is Italian and sauerkraut is not on his radar. Besides, he claims that sour things are not good for his stomach.
@MALUSE I enjoy hearing more about you. German & Italian family. Did you ever make cabbage rolls in your past? I make them, and then layer them with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and other secret ingredients, and cook them atop the stove. Learned to make them from a woman who was 1/2 German/1/2 Polish that we knew when I was a child.
@CoralLevang I've never made cabbage rolls. My mother used to make them. After I left home, I haven't eaten them anymore. I have nothing against them but also not much for them so-to-speak.
That's a pity. Sauerkraut can taste good when it is prepared well.
Sauerkraut is delicious to me!
@marlina Do you boil it and eat it warm or raw and cold in a salad?
@MALUSE I cook it as per the recipe that I found in "Joy Of Cooking" book, decades ago.
I do not like the smell of sauerkraut at all or the look of it. So I have never tasted it. If something does not look good I do not even try it.
@bagarad (12133)
• Paso Robles, California
I agree. The smell is terrible.
Sauerkraut is not for all, that's for sure. I used to like it in small doses, but no longer.
I prefer fresh sauerkraut, but use other type in cooking fairly often.
@CoralLevang Sauerkraut is a healthy food choice, so that is a plus.
@TheSojourner (17454)
Ooooh... I LOVE sauerkraut! That in the glass jars, I usually rinse before using it. I also love raw sauerkraut. Now...about this glass jar? I would have loved the deal on both!
• Preston, England
@CoralLevang the jar will serve some purpoe once rinced out
@arthurchappell How large is the jar?
• Preston, England
@CoralLevang about two litres
Isn't it a German with a sour disposition?
@bagarad (12133)
• Paso Robles, California
That's what its name would indicate. I was wondering about that myself.
• San Jose, California
Well, calling a person a Kraut is technically a slur, and therefore unkind.
@spiderdust It's a term from the World Wars when Germany was the enemy.
Sauerkraut is a fermented food. It is supposed to be good for you. I use it in some dishes, especially pork dishes. It is part of an authentic Reuben sandwich as well. I am big on jars, myself and have quite the collection. My most interesting at this time had "marinated" (spiced and pickled) asparagus. That was not my favorite, but the jar is awesome.
@pgntwo (21648)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Sauerkraut can be an acquired taste. Krautsalat, on the other hand, is refreshing and tasty on a hot day (a bit like cloleslaw without the mayonnaise or carrots!):
Klassischer Krautsalat mit Kümmel: bodenständiger Genuss aus Bayern, der sich prima vorbereiten lässt.
@bagarad (12133)
• Paso Robles, California
My husband has had me make that for him, and I have also eaten it.
@pgntwo (21648)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@bagarad Easy to pick up in many supermarkets in Northern Germany, including discounters like Lidl and Edeka. Alas, not often available in the UK or Irish Lidl stores...
• Preston, England
@pgntwo I got mine in Asda
@sprite1950 (13924)
• Corsham, England
There are very few foods I won't eat but sauerkraut is one of them. My partner's mother is Austrian and it's very popular over there. He was always saying how delicious it was and to be polite I had some but every mouthful turned my stomach. I thought it was vile.
• Preston, England
@sprite1950 my thought entirely
@sprite1950 (13924)
• Corsham, England
@arthurchappell Perhaps it's an acquired taste but I'm not prepared to carry on eating it to find out!
• Preston, England
@sprite1950 me too, I may finish the jar off or tip the contents out but I won't try or buy it again
I made my own and its still in the jar "getting riper" I love kraut.
@Courage7 (5848)
It tastes better for some people with some sort of ham added. That is the way I have had it and I love it. It is very sour however. It is just cabbage in vinegar really.
@Starmaiden (5846)
Sauerkraut is made with cabbage, the same as coleslaw. I love cabbage and sauerkraut but it gives me serious bouts of gas that I can't eat it often.
@Micmac (8462)
I only like sauerkraut as a topping on hot dogs. Other than that, I don't like it plain.
• Pamplona, Spain
I love coleslaw but I have never liked that stuff whatever you call it Sauerkraut. I like pickled things like cabbage and beetroot but not that other things. Never mind the jar like you said will come in handy for a good many things.
• Preston, England
@lovinangelsinstead21 glad it isn't just me
• Pamplona, Spain
@arthurchappell No you are not alone there. I love things that do not taste the same as before but even so I eat them every so often.
@nela13 (6857)
• Portugal
I have no idea of what Sauerkraut is, but for your description I think I will pass it
• Preston, England
@nela13 probably for the best lol
When it is that cheap, something could be wrong.
@louievill (18641)
" kraut " is a derogatory word used to call German soldiers during WWI and WWII, I heard it often in the old 60's tv series " Combat" without really understanding what it meant and only later did I find out it was "cabbage". I searched Wikipedia and found out that the root word of the derogatory remark was sauer kraut. I don't know if this is somehow related to the taste. I posted this as a source of information and in no way intended as an insult to anyone or to open up old wounds that have long healed.
Open main menu Search For other uses, see Kraut (disambiguation). Kraut is a German word recorded in English from 1918 onwards as a derogatory term for a German, particularly a German soldier during World War I and World War II.[1] Its earlier meaning in E
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
I don’t think I ever tried that before. And it doesn’t sound something I would enjoy eating
@bagarad (12133)
• Paso Robles, California
I have only had the canned variety. Once! Once was enough to convince me I didn't like it. I don't like anything pickled, either. My husband, who is part German, loves it. I think his mom used to make it.
Oh, but it's so good on hotdogs and sausages. The German stuff is better than what we get over here. Might be the case there, too.
• San Jose, California
I thought, "I can't be the only one here who likes sauerkraut!" Thank goodness.
@spiderdust - I always get it on my hotdogs when I go to Rockies games. Awesome!
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 I expect I just got a bad brand