Bummed Out - The Computer Ate My Condolence Post

@bagarad (12717)
Paso Robles, California
We lost a very dear friend last month in the town where we used to live. Her memorial service was today, and because of health issues, we were unable to attend. It's a seven hour drive round trip and it was also raining. It seemed wiser to stay home, no matter how much we wanted to go. Sally was like family to us. The first friend we made in Newbury Park, and she was always there for us --especially when our son died. One of her sons posted on FB today that there would be a video and he linked to a site I'd never heard of -- Qeepr -- that has online memorials and obituaries. So I went there. There was no video there yet, but there was a place to write memorial comments. I wrote close to 2,000 words, entered my name and email, and was about to click "post" when I noticed the icons at the top. One was to post to Facebook. Like an idiot, I didn't make a backup and instead of clicking "post" I clicked on the FB icon. It wiped out all I'd written and instead presented me with a blank FB interface. The back button didn't help. I put a lot of thought into the tribute and it will be really hard to reconstruct it. I should have known enough to make a backup. I'm not sure I will be able to write it as well the second time. Be careful when you post on strange sites you don't understand. And always make a backup. I'm really bummed out and mad at myself. Have you done anything this dumb lately? Update: Today I did a Windows update. When I rebooted, my post had returned, still in the editing box. I immediately copied it, added a new paragraph I'd thought of while I was still thinking I would have to rewrite it, and I posted. Then I copied my copy and posted it to my friend's son's Facebook page. My bases are covered now. I'm so thankful God gave the post back and saved me all that time rewriting.
@alberello75 (18664)
• Genova, Italy
First of all, my condolences for the loss of your dear friend. Rare times I happened to lose a text, more or less in the same way. However, I think it's wise to make a copy / paste on a Word document (or other).
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I know it's wise to make a backup, I don't know why I didn't listen to that little voice in my head. But God was good. After I did a Windows update today and rebooted, that page came back up with my unsubmitted text still there. The first thing I did was copy it. Then I added a new paragraph and post.
@alberello75 (18664)
• Genova, Italy
@bagarad Good that you have recovered your data.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@alberello75 You can't believe how happy I am!
Oh no, this would be so disappointing. It can be really hard to rewrite something like this. It's never quite the same second time around.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
Today I had to do a windows update and reboot. Imagine my surprise when the page I entered the post on came back up and I was able to finally post it. By that time I'd thought of an additional paragraph I wanted to add, and so I updated before posting. And I also have it on a saved document. I may print it out and send it with a card to Sally's husband. I am so thankful. I really didn't want to write this again.
@bagarad That is really good news. Sometimes these seemingly 'lost' items do reappear later. It saves a lot of work when they do.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv Gave me more time to spend mylotting!
I guess a lot of us done that in different times, hehehe. I hope you can rewrite it. God bless. Let us just be happy they went home with God.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm sure she did, but I know her husband and sons and their families will miss her greatly.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I got it back. God heard my prayers. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
• Uzbekistan
It happened to me when I started writing on serious writing sites. When a review on a travel destination of nearly 2000 words had disappeared, I learnt to save my text after each paragraph.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I got it back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful. It's horrible to lose an hour's work.
@elanalove (660)
Yes i wrote in notepad and save it ,,then copy paste into the site or email..if it fails then i don't have to rewrite the same thing just copy-paste...
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I normally do that. Don't know why I didn't this time. Maybe I was too emotional after writing the post. But it's back. See my response to Judy Evans or Nnaemeka above. I am so thankful.
I hope you are able to re do it as good as it was the first time. Sorry you loss a good son.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
It came back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful. I added a paragraph and got it posted and made a copy.
So sorry you lost a good friend, and the post was ruined. I usually copy most things before I go to post them just in case something happens.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
Thank you. I got the post back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@bagarad oh thats so good im glad
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@Courtlynn It made my day!
Horrible feeling when you see your text disappear. I always write everything offline in a text editor, I do not like to take risks.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I do that for blog posts, but I didn't think to do it this time. But all is well. It came back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@bagarad I am glad you recovered your text. I am checking your reply to Judy.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@LadyDuck Thank you.
@BarBaraPrz (20716)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
The post came back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@BarBaraPrz (20716)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@bagarad That's great!
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@BarBaraPrz Yes! It was almost like seeing a miracle. Usually when you have to reboot you lose anything not saved.
@Srbageldog (8244)
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and that you lost all your hard work. It is incredibly frustrating when that happens. A friend of mine lost a ton of work we were doing on a project together the other day, so it all had to be rewritten. I am guilty of forgetting to save or making backups, too.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I can't bring my friend back, but I got my post back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@bagarad Oh, I am so glad to hear that!
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@Srbageldog The Lord was very good to me.
@nela13 (8258)
• Portugal
You lost a text with 2000 words?! It has happen to me too, now I always make a backup when I am writing.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
You're a smart lady. I usually do that. Maybe I was too emotional after writing this to remember. But I got the post back. See my response to Judy Evans or Nnaemeka above. I am so thankful.
@nela13 (8258)
• Portugal
@bagarad Ohh Glad you recovered It
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
@nela13 Me, too. What a relief!
• Preston, England
ouch, it must have been dreadful to lose such an important meaningful post at such a crucial time. Hope you are able to write something lovely to replace it in time - so sorry also for the loss of your friend
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
It's back. I didn't have to rewrite it. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
• Preston, England
@bagarad glad you recovered it
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I can well imagine how frustrated you must have felt when that happened. So did you try it a second time?
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
Nope. God gave it back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@Icydoll (24611)
Sorry for your loss..it happened to me also sometimes.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I have it back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
@Icydoll (24611)
@bagarad that's nice to know friend
I am sorry for your loss.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I will miss my friend, but I got the post back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
Sorry, you lost that but I am sure what you'll be able to write up another just remembering your dear friend. Sorry for your loss and many blessings. Just to make things easier I always write even things I won't keep on Word and then paste and copy so that if anything goes wrong online I still have that document. Then if I don't need it anymore I just don't save it.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
It came back, and then I added more and backed it up in a document on my computere. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful.
Oh,you have to do it from scratch !It happened to me too,so now I first write it on microsoft word if I post,then copy and paste it.
@bagarad (12717)
• Paso Robles, California
I got the post back. See my response to Judy Evans above. I am so thankful. An it is backed up now.