Follow the Beaver!

@Morleyhunt (19856)
A few weeks ago my daughter and I were headed to Halifax for the day. We had a definite destination in mind and we're looking for an appropriate, central parking spot. Never having been to Halifax before, we were not sure of the best route through the city. Our goal was to park at, or near the Citadel. That made our goal easier. It's a national park and as such, there are signs guiding us through town, We merely had to spot the beaver. Even as we drove through town, I knew there would be a discussion titled...."Follow the Beaver". Somehow it sounds so much less wholesome when taken out of context. We had a nice visit to Halifax.
Does the beaver signify the national park?
@Morleyhunt (19856)
The beaver is the symbol used to mark national parks....so the beaver sign (or one similar) is used as a universal sign to mark the way to the park.
@yugocean (8465)
good to know you have a nice visit there.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I will be going back to Halifax when the weather is warmer (and hopefully not raining) and see much more of the area.
@yugocean (8465)
@Morleyhunt It is training now? Or cold? Here summer is coming and this means Heat, we cantt stay out for long.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@yugocean we are coming to the end of winter. Tonight we are expecting a big snow storm. Hopefully that will be the last big one for this season.
That beaver came in pretty handy!!!!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
He sure did. He directed us to a central parking lot...we walked through the citadel....to the public library, where we had lunch in the coffee shop overlooking the harbour. Then we walked part of downtown Halifax befor we decided we'd had enough of the rain and returned to the van.
I'm sure that once you move out there together you will have lots of drives following those signs and discovering the area.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
The first national park I intend to visit (when the weather cooperates) is Fort Beausejour. Platespinner is supposed to visit, arriving this week (weather permitting), and we may visit the Fort next week.
@Morleyhunt Glad you had a good trip. Was there a real Beaver to follow?
@Morleyhunt (19856)
No, just the picture of a beaver on the signs.
@Morleyhunt Too bad. I think it would be cute to follow a real Beaver.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
@Hannihar Probably impractical though.
Hmm that's an odd way to direct people with beaver signs. I guess different areas have different things. A little ways from me there are carousel signs directing people to different parks in the area that have carousels.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
The beaver is the symbol for Canada's national parks. It makes perfect sense to use it for signs marking the route.
@Morleyhunt ohhh okay yes that does make perfect sense then I had no idea why a beaver was chosen to be put on a sign
Good to know you had a nice visit. Nothing is more refreshing than going somewhere nice. Follow the beaver!
@Morleyhunt (19856)
That beaver has brought us to many interesting places.
@Morleyhunt I believe it did!
@Katiepie (121)
• Okotoks, Alberta
Halifax is such a beautiful province :)
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Halifax is not a province. It is a city on the east coast of Canada in the province of Nova Scotia.
New ground, new signs...
@Morleyhunt (19856)
Those signs are found at all the national parks across Canada. This time we knew we were headed to the national park....so the sign made it easy.
The beaver signs did help a lot when you lost your bearings in a new city.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
We were not list...but the beaver directed us to our destination.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've tried to live by that philosophy, but things haven't always turned out as I expected. Where is Halifax?
As you get more familiar with the area I'm sure you'll be zipping around like you've been living there forever