Patience Pays Off

Late last March my husband and I moved to this city. We have been trying very hard to get into a family doctor. They all seem to have closed practises. But I have been going to a very nice medical clinic, and seeing a couple of the doctors there. I have to go more often then I'd like to admit, but I have to get prescriptions refilled. And when you are not a patient of theirs, they only refill each bottle once. And when they run out a few months later, you are back there again. Finally, I just got a phone call from that clinic. They have a new doctor starting there in early May. And I was on the waiting list so I have an appointment. She wasn't able to confirm if my husband will get a call or not, but that she did not see his name. I'm a higher priority because of my health issues. I am so thankful that my patience paid off. I hope that this is a good doctor. I have a lot of respect for the Medical Clinic, so I cannot imagine that they'd take on an inferior doctor. Do you have a regular family physician?
Vince does and is very happy with him. I like the doctor I see but she only practises a couple of days a week so if it's at all urgent I have to see someone else.
Sounds like a good place with great doctors. I do hope you are able to become a regular patient of theirs. I have been going to the same doctor since I was born. The past 8 years I have been taking the same two medicines one for depression and one for bipolar. I've going to my PCP for this for the past 4 years at least and every month he makes me come back for a refill it's so annoying.
Going in for a refill is a pain. I have to do that now, they give me a three month's supply, but no refills, that's when I have to go in. You're really lucky to have had your doctor for so long, he knows all of your history and that is invaluable as a patient isn't it?
@shaggin That wasn't very nice of her to accuse you of that. I would never accept the word of a nurse practitioner when I could have that of an actual doctor.
@Juliaacv at this office it is random who we see sometimes the doctor sometimes the nurse practitioner. I think major issues would be with the actual doctor where as more simple things may be referred to the nurse practitioner.
Yes, we have a family doctor, this allows to pay a lower health insurance prime. You always ask your family doctor first, the doctor then decides if it is necessary to see a specialist.
We have the same referral system here. In fact here, you cannot get into a specialist without a gp's referral.
@Juliaacv We can, but we need to change our health insurance conditions and it is more expensive. I see no need to pay more to avoid to talk with my doctor first.
@dodo19 (32586)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm glad that you have an appointment. It's great news. I do have a doctor. I've been with my doctor since I was pregnant with my eldest. Considering how hard it is to find a doctor, I've just stayed with her. Especially since I do have a prescription and it's just easier when I need a new one. Even if I didn't need a prescription, I'd still probably just stay with her. It's nice to have someone who knows my health history of the last few years.
@dodo19 (32586)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Juliaacv If it helps, then it will be worth it for sure.
Yes and at the rate things are going with me I slowed down going. I will do a check up in the Summer though.
You're fortunate to have a family physician who knows your medical background. I worry about that, my health issues are pretty complex, so I'll be buying my old records from my previous doctor to furnish to my new doctor.
@Juliaacv That is what Iwas not willing to lose when moving. But I will be getting medical records if need be as well.
@Elizaby (3621)
• Pensacola, Florida
Glad you got an appointment tosee the new doctor and getting your foot in the door may able your husband to get in too even if his name is not currently on thelist.
I think that he'll get his call soon enough. I applied a few days before he did.
Yes, I have a regular doctor. I really liked the one I had about six years ago, but he went to work at a Native American clinic, so he could no longer be my doctor. So the one I have now is nice, and very good. But she's just not who I would prefer to have. I miss the other doctor. It must have been concerning not to have a regular doctor for awhile.
I had a favorite doctor too, and he moved down to the states to practise. I had a really good rapport with him and I miss him. But this will have to suffice, just like the doctor that I had after my favorite one left the country.
Glad that you got in! Yes, I have a regular family physician (for years now) and also a ton of specialists.
Thanks, I'll be relieved when I meet the doctor, at this stage, judging by the name I don't even know if its a male or a female, and the girl that called me didn't know either.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
No family physician. But we have a preferred clinic we visit.
I was using a clinic, but you have to wait a long time to get seen, as they look after their patients first. I won't have that worry anymore.
yes I have a primary doctor and a VA doctor.
I will soon be able to say the thing!
Glad you'll be seen by this new doctor, and hope you lile them!
Fingers crossed about the liking part.
@Juliaacv toes too!
Yes, I have a regular family doctor and like him very much. I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks, I hope that I like him.
@Juliaacv Juliaacvi, I hope you like him too because that helps you feel comfortable.
@PainsOnSlate (20241)
I have a doctor in Grimsby, he has been our doctor since he started working here years ago when my youngest was small - back then I called him Doogie Howser, now he's old and everyone loves him.
That's funny! At my age I'm hoping for a doctor that will outlive me and not retire and leave me looking to fill his spot again.
@Juliaacv I'm sure this one will out live me, he's got white hair (used to be blond) but he is quite younger than I.
Yes, we are blessed to have had the same family practitioner for over twenty years.
Yes, you are very lucky if you've had one for that long. Our last one we had for a long time, but he was a pill pusher.
Yes, I've had the same one for probably about 30 years or so now. Glad that they called you for an appointment.
Oh you're so lucky. I have never had one single doctor for more then about a dozen years or so.
I do and I love their office, the staff is all so nice and helpful.
The office staff where I will be going is wonderful. And they are very close to one of the teaching hospitals.
I've been going to our local urgent care for years and they switched up doctors occasionally. Finally I found one I really like an it seems like he's there to stay (or at least I hope so). Like you, I have to go every few months to have prescriptions refilled and blood work done. I hope that you found your doctor and can settle in with him/her.
Its hard not having the same physician isn't it? My last family doctor, back in the town near where we lived, wasn't the greatest, he was a pill-pusher, but at least he knew my history. At my age, I hope to find a doctor young enough that he'll outlive me and won't retire on me, our last family doctor was the same age as we were. In fact his children used to take swimming lessons and play soccer with our son. There were times that was a bit awkward.
Yes and its the clinic doctor. I m glad you got a doctor, but medicine is practiced differently there.
Yes, I know that there are a lot of differences. But having a family doctor is something that is a staple up here.
family dentist yes but not a physician
Having a dentist that you see regularly is very important also.
@Starmaiden (5027)
• Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Wherever you are it sounds like where I live. Family doctors are scarce and our Hospital is a University/Teaching hospital where our future doctors do their internships and residencies. But none of them want to stay when they are licensed. I am fortunate enough to have a family doctor but my daughter is still looking for one.
I'm in London, Ontario. This is the hub of medical research due to the teaching university here, the next largest centre is Toronto. Doctors are few and far between in our country aren't they? But based on the time and money it takes to become one, I am not surprised.