Tokyo's Owl Cafes Are Very Popular

Those who want to spend a bit of time with owls, up close and personal, then off he or she should go to Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo has 10 Owl Cafes. Folks who visit a Tokyo Owl Café can just sit back, relax, and spend some one-on-one time with the owls residing in the café. Those who wish to handle one of the owls in an Owl Café are cautioned to handle the owl very gently. Patrons can take pictures of owls in the café, but patrons must be respectful of these very sensitive creatures. Owl Cafes in Tokyo are very popular. Those who want to sit a spell in an owl café usually have to make a reservation. A patron of an Owl Café can visit with the owls for around 30 minutes to one hour. The owls in those cafes are absolutely beautiful! I did read that the owls are well-cared for, but I personally am not in favor of holding animals captive, therefore, I would most likely skip the Owl Café.
Welcome to the "Fukuro no Mise," in downtown Tokyo, which translates to "Owl Store". The cafe has anywhere from 20 to 30 owls at any given point for visitors...
That sounds wonderful. But when you say cafe, do you mean people eat and drink there too? Because I wonder how often the owls are dropping "presents". Then again, I have seen cat cafes. And they eat in one space, and the area with the cats is cordoned off in another room.
Just drinks are served, according to what I have read.
that is a hoot there.
So true!!
@Corbin5 Good night Deb
@amadeo Good morning Alfredo!!!
Now, that is very interesting. I have heard of a lot of cat cafes and B and B's..but not owl..that is a first! They must have good insurance.
Japan also has reptile and rabbit cafes too.
@sol_cee (18443)
• Japan
@Corbin5 Cat, dog, parrot cafes too.
@sol_cee We need a good dog café here, but alas, not a one.
@sallypup (30134)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That would be a captivating experience.
The owls are treated very gently and I am pleased that patrons have a lot of rules to follow so as not to make the owls uncomfortable.
@Icydoll (27959)
Omg owl cafe...it's interesting one to know But I don't want to visit.
The owls really are beautiful, but I can see how some folks would be a bit afraid of owls.
@xFiacre (6138)
@corbin5 How very odd. I don’t really like animals being captive and exploited no matter how well-cared for they seem to be. Being held captive doesn’t really scream out “well-cared for”. Now what I’d pay good money for would be a café for night owls like me that would open at midnight and stay that way till dawn, but with no captives.
I do believe that the Fiacre Banks Night Owl Café would be a hit for those who like to drink from midnight to dawn. I do know the rules for patron behavior is extremely strict when in the company of the owls, however, the owls would be better off in the great outdoors.
@xFiacre (6138)
@Corbin5 Oh the Fiacre Banks Night Owl Café would indeed have very strict rules - no talking, I get to pick the background music, and would-be patrons would have to pass an examination in café etiquette. No animals will be harmed or otherwise distressed within the precincts of said café. No loud laughing either. Or phones.
@xFiacre Books?? We must be allowed to bring our books!!!
@Courage7 (21995)
I would love to go to Japan and see those places Deborah. Another great find
Those cafes did seem quite unique to me. I do not like wild animals being held captive, so I would probably skip this café.
@Courage7 (21995)
@Corbin5 Oh yes of course it is not good to keep animals captive.
@Courage7 I do know the owls are treated well, but I do believe the owls would rather be free.
@Poppylicious (10104)
I'm trying to decide if this is a bit mean for owls, but I don't know enough about them to form an opinion! So very cute though!
I did research how the owls were treated, and the owls are very well cared-for, but holding animals captive is not something of which I am in favor, so I would skip the owl cafes. Just found the subject unique.
@Corbin5 Very unique. I wouldn't mind visiting a cat cafés, but I think I'd rather see owls in a more natural environment. Although, maybe owls enjoy the interaction!
@Poppylicious They sure look like healthy owls who are very content.
I wouldn't necessarily go either much as I like owls. I don't think this sounds the ideal environment for them.
I did read that the rules for patrons are very strict. Only a café employ can hold the owl or place an owl on a patron's outstretched arms. No loud noises, not quick movements etc.
@Corbin5 At least that's something.
• Lenox, Georgia
That would be a great place for my oldest daughter to go-she LOVES owls! Her room is owl themed. =)
Oh, your daughter would have a wonderful time in an Owl Café.
• Lenox, Georgia
@Corbin5 Yes she would! Her favorite exhibit at the science museum was the owls.
Not a Cafe I would care to visit.
Some folks are a bit leery of owls, for sure.
@Corbin5 I am.
@Madshadi (9029)
• Brussels, Belgium
That’s an odd taste. The only place I would want to see animals is a zoo, not where I eat. I’m sure kids would like it
Yes, I am sure kids would get a thrill out of that café. I am not a fan of animals being held captive, so I would skip this café.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
This is really cool.
It is an interesting bit of information. Those cafes are unique.
How wonderful. I thought there were only cat cafes everywhere. I would love to go to one of these.
Japan has all kinds of animal cafes. The have reptile cafes and bunny cafes too. I know the owls are well cared for in the owl café, but really not a fan of wild animals being held captive.
@Essjayd (1614)
Wow! We have a cat cafe and a chihuahua cafe in our city. Lol I always wonder how they pass the health checks with dogs and cats roaming around! Now I'm going to wonder what happens when an owl poo's in your lunch
Well, the Owl Cafes I read about only serve drinks, so cover your drink. The owls do not fly all over the place. Employees will place the owl on your arm if you wish.
@AKRao24 (21617)
That is an interesting and wonderful post I must say! I have got an fair idea that in Japan people consider Owls as a wise birds and they respect them! Yes I agree that captivating the birds is nothing less than cruelty against them! Thanks @Corbin5!
I am becoming more concerned at those owls in the cafes the more research I do. The owls are not harmed in any way, shape, or form in the cafes due to very strict rules patrons must follow, however, the owls would be better off if freed.
@miketagz (8832)
@AKRao24 Soon build your own, Horse Cafe India.
@AKRao24 (21617)
@miketagz , Let us start it as a joint venture if yor are ready
@Katiepie (119)
• Okotoks, Alberta
Omg so cute!! Its like harry potter :) I want to go to a oil cafe :p
Due to Harry Potter, so many in the UK decided owls would be great pets. Alas, many just abandoned the owls or did not provide the right care for them. The café seems to do a very good job at caring for the owls it has.
@Katiepie (119)
• Okotoks, Alberta
@Corbin5 Awe for real that's aweful. But unfotunatly I can see that happening its so sad
I like owls, but more so the cartoonish ones on clothes lol
I like owls too, but I think they do best in the wild.
@Corbin5 probably
Yes, I was there last summer. There was a staff holding an owl nearby so that it would attract more customers. I was able to touch the owl with my hand and it was so cute. The owl was so tame and adorable I also took some nice photos for the owl there and I was happy to it as I had never seen or got close to an owl before.
Oh, I am so glad you got a chance to visit an owl café!! I bet the owl enjoyed meeting you too!
@LeaPea2417 (23325)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I think it would be neat to visit.
I think so too.