Have you ever had an idea for a topic only to find someone else has beaten you to it?

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17276)
Sutton, England
Similar topics are often discussed on the site although much of the time they have a different spin to them. Last year I wrote a post about the terrorist attack on Westminster Bridge. I hadn't checked recent discussions before I posted it. I found out later that several members had written about the atrocity. One person had posted before me. Fortunatly his had a different slant to mine. However there can be occasions when there are many similar posts that are not necessary. For example, there was a problem with uploading photos a while back. The site was deluged with people writing about the problem. The answer could have been found if recent discussions had been checked first.
When things happen, everyone has a different perspective on the event, so the post will always be different. When I see one post about site problems, I figure there will be others. If I have a problem not addressed, I will address it. Sometimes it's my computer.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes fortunately most people have a different spin on things. However I have seen someone respond to a post and then make the same discussion with different wording on the same day.
@Gillygirl I think I've done that. The topic is one of interest though, and I can add my spin on it.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@just4him Yes I have done that too. I usually credit the person who gave me the idea to create the discussion.
This happens from time to time. Deaths of celebrities usually get covered by at least several people as you say in your comment below.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Last night made me laugh as I saw loads of discussions about being paid.
Sometimes I do get weary due to same-topic overload here. Current events and the weather seem to be a bit overdone. Yikes. When holidays come around, overdone to the max.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I lost count of the discussions about the mylot pay day yesterday lol.
Those discussions happen, especially with breaking news. I'm more concerned with people using my ideas, words, and expressions. It makes me want to throw a doughball or two. Weather and holidays are more boring than anything else to me.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I wrote a post where somebody responded to me. A few days later this person wrote the same post using different words. Oh there are some dough balls about.
@Gillygirl I remember viewing that very, very similar post! Doughballs are so not for me or to my liking.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@DianneN I don't care for dough balls, they are too fatty.
• Peoria, Arizona
I sometimes wish that would happen to me. But since I am younger and listen to different music, watch different movies and shows. All the stuff I talk about no one knows about so no one will actually copy me haha! But at least I know that means that I can write about whatever and no one will have already done it.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
LOL! I could do with someone like you in my quiz team to answer questions about current music.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Gillygirl Haha yes! I know way too much about it, it needs to be used!
Most of the time I write and then go to my followers discussions.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Some days I just spend the time responding rather than writing. The I've been paid post are very repetitive.
@lovebuglena (5923)
• Staten Island, New York
When I write something I don't check recent discussions to see if anyone's written about what I want to write about. I just write it. And I think I am not the only one that does it. When you write something there is always a chance someone's already written about it.
• Staten Island, New York
@Gillygirl He passed away for real? It wasn't a hoax? I haven't heard about it.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@lovebuglena Sadly yes, apart from the problem the UK has with Russia it's one of the main features on the news here today. He was such an amazing brilliant man. He was only given a few years to live when he was first diagnosed as a youngster. He made it to the age of 76.
• Staten Island, New York
@Gillygirl I just searched online and it is real. Hey, did you see the Theory of Everything?
@ridingbet (50194)
like me, my friend. i have had some discussions that were made spin-off posts by others. hahaha! do you mean, that same user again? the one that we messaged to each other about.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
No but there was a user who responded to a post last week. An hour later he created a post about the same topic. The words were different but there was not a fresh spin to it.
@ridingbet (50194)
@Gillygirl i get it. i think if there is a famous post, other users can give their own points in different words, but maybe in your case, the topic is really taken from your discussion.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@ridingbet As the second post was done only an hour after the first I'm sure it had to be a copied topic.
• Preston, England
big events will often generate multiple posts though if yours is written independently it is jut a valid as any other on the same topic
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Very true and the words are different. There have been several posts about Steven Hawkins today so I added my thoughts to one of them. I did see something that was naughty a few days ago. A user had responded to a post. An hour later he created a post about the same topic. Wording had been changed but no fresh spin on it.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl that is stretching things a bit yes
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@arthurchappell I've always been told that an idea cannot be plagiarised but in this case I really believe it was.
• Pamplona, Spain
A couple of times yes but I donĀ“t mind I just go responding instead. There will be other times to be able to post.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
There have been many posts about the passing of Steven Hawkins today. I was going to create a discussion but responded to somebody else instead. I'm not fussed about posting a discussion everyday.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gillygirl Neither am I really and I have not got a lot of time sometimes to think one up either. If I post its on the spur of the moment.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@lovinangelsinstead21 Me too, I enjoy the back and forth dialogue more than anything else.
Yes it's bound to happen sometimes. I remember on the other site MALUSE and I beat each other to a topic on a few occasions.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
I seem to remember writing a post and you had done something similar about a year before me. Mine had a different spin. It must happen a lot. I have seen many posts about Steven Hawkins today.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
@jaboUK Yes the news coverage was vast.
Happens all the time, and has for years. Most people never bother checking the Most Recent Discussions list here, but I have it set as my 'home' page so I know what is already being discussed. There used to be a rule forbidding 'repeat' topics...like the Paris bombing in 2015...there were a few dozen discussions about it, but under the old 'rules' repeat topics would have been deleted and everyone would have been expected to talk about it in one place/discussion.
Here on Mylot ,it is common that there are many similar posts,especially when there is a popular topic .
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes it happens but can get tedious, for example many people wrote about being paid by Mylot the other day.
@FayeHazel (17164)
AH yes, I know I have done that . Sometimes I really feel strongly about writing about a popular topic, so I write anyway, but like you say, trying to add a unique thought, or spin, to it
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Yes a different take on a topic can be refreshing.
I don't read recent discussions of people I don't know; I just don't have the time. Besides, if I want to write about something, I will do, regardless of whether someone has beaten me to it. It isn't a competition, and most of us have different viewpoints on something. Of course, copying an idea just for the sake of it is silly.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Your posts are unique to you. Your sense of humour and creative approach to a topic are excellent.
Yes - all the time!
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It is bound to happen.
That really doesn't bother me, I may only read one or sometimes I read more. depends on how well they are written.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
It is bound to happen especially when writing about mylot. I saw several posts about Steven Hawkins today. I responded to one of them. I do find it interesting to read about things happening in the UK from a non Brit's perspective.
@Morleyhunt (19723)
That happens. I don't beat myself over it.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
With most of these discussions there is usually a different slant anyway. I did see a discussion where somebody had responded then created the same discussion with different words. That was a different ball game.
@august18 (2161)
• Tunisia
It never happened to me.
@Gillygirl (17276)
• Sutton, England
Only happened to me once.
• Riga, Latvia
I don't think it really matters that several people might write about an important and recent topic because everyone has their own opinion and viewpoint. Of course it also never hurts to be sure and check things out.