4.30am, it's raining and I can't sleep so good morning, everyone

Bunbury, Australia
It’s 4.00am and it’s been raining all night. Something has bitten me several times so I’m itching like mad and have been awake since 2.30am so I thought I’d share my misery with all my friends on myLot. Actually it’s not that bad but I’m tired of lying there awake. As it’s raining I’m not sure what will be on our agenda today. Our house concert is on Saturday but hopefully the rain will have passed over by then. I hope so. I suppose I could always do some housework or I could myLot a bit more than usual. Maybe I’ll do that. Our neighbour called yesterday and on Thursday evening we’ll be dog-sitting. They are spending the night away to celebrate her 60th birthday so we’ll have the pleasure of minding Chester. We’ll be able to take photos of him. We don’t have too many photos of dogs. Meanwhile here’s a photo Rosie who would visit from time to time. When you threw sticks for her, she wouldn't bring them back but would try to fit them all in her mouth at once.
@Essjayd (1620)
Rosie is very cute! Mine likes to chase tennis balls but never actually brings them back...Just runs towards them and keeps going! Hope the weather improves in time for your house concert!
We had a corgi who would fetch a ball but if he got a bit tired, he would lay down for a while before finally bringing the ball back.
@Essjayd (1620)
@JudyEv Lol mine just believes if I threw it away it's up to me to go get it back!
@Essjayd Well, I guess that's pretty logical thinking!
@AKRao24 (14582)
That is really a funny dog doing that...but she looks intelligent and having very interactive eyes! I am impressed with your Rosie! Thanks...@JudyEv! By the way does she have regular shots of Vaccines?
Rosie is no longer with us. She used to visit most afternoons then go home again. Most people here are very good about looking after their dogs.
@AKRao24 (14582)
@JudyEv , Oh , she looks cute and intelligent! Her eyes are expressive too! Thanks!
Rosie is a fine-looking dog!! I am certainly looking forward to a photo of Chester!! Hope your itch subsides soon.
Thanks. Chester is quite cute so I hope he enjoys his short time with us. He is coming tomorrow morning.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Rosie is a pretty girl.my Harley tries to do that with her tennis balls
She hated giving any up. She'd drop them all and rearrange them until she could fit them all in her mouth.
• Preston, England
sorry you are having a restless night - great photo of Rosie
She was a nice dog. She used to do the rounds of all the neighbours - drop in and say hi for a while then go on her way again.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv a real life Littlest Hobo
@arthurchappell That description fits her very well.
Jax the dog was visiting today. He can't stand it when his owner lies on the coach and pitches a fit! lol
It is years and years since we had a dog to look after. I'm pretty glad it's only one night. I hope he likes it here. What if he wants his Mum?
Good morning! I hope the itching subsides.
Me too. It is very intense at the moment. We're thinking we've been bitten by chiggers when we've been out and about.
How cute, dogs do the funniest things. Everytime there's pending rain those no see ums come out to give us grief, I hate when that happens.
It will seem strange to have a dog around again.
How long has it been since you had a dog @JudyEv ?
@rebelann It would have to be 30+ years. We had two corgis one after the other.
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
Rosie is cute. Do you find the reason for your itching?
I think it might be microscopic mites called scrub-itch. They are probably in the vegetation around here and when we go out getting wood and so on we brush against the bushes and they get on our clothes.
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv Oh I see. Here there are small type black mites they comes in night attracted by light.
@shshiju You can't even see these so it's hard to avoid them.
@PainsOnSlate (20235)
Love the photo. I hate it when I can't sleep and I'm wondering what is biting you. We have mosquitoes in the summer and once in a while one gets into the house and drives us crazy until it gets smacked.
I think they are chiggers - I've only recently learnt about them. Scrub-itch mites in Australian lingo; also called harvest mites, berry bugs, red bugs and aoutas. Apparently they occur all over the world. We both have a few welts so perhaps we're a bit sensitive to their bites. I now have six or eight and they are SOOOO itchy. I'll take a polaramine shortly and go to bed.
@JudyEv we had chiggers in Kansas, a very hot and dry state. They were nasty. We don't seem to have them in Canada - probably too cold for them.
@PainsOnSlate I don't know how you avoid them although they say covering up (trousers, long shirts, etc) then changing and showering when you come in is the best way.
It is quite so early. Uhmm I think you need to sleep later. Good morning, my friend!
I think I'll try to have a nap after lunch.
@JudyEv I hope you had taken a power nap.
@Shavkat I had a sleep after lunch and now I'm off to bed. I'm sure I'll sleep better tonight.
The dogs you are pet sitting will be going to your house?
Yes, he came to my house and he's already gone home again. I'm a bit late getting to this post.
@JudyEv That's okay it takes time sometimes to reply we all get busy in real life! A friend of my pet sat before she was married she would stay at the people's homes to watch their pets.
@shaggin We have house-sitters here too and that often involves looking after pets - and gardens, etc. Some house insurance lapses if houses are left vacant for too long so that is an encouragement to get a house sitter. Mostly no money changes hands. It just depends on the requirements.
Such a pretty dog! I hope you finally got some sleep.
I often have nights when I can't sleep. Just part of getting older I guess.
@JudyEv - I enjoy pulling all-nighters once in awhile, but sometimes you just want to sleep.
@mydanods (6762)
• Nigeria
That's a clever dog you have there in Rosie.
I'm not sure if 'clever' is the right word but she enjoyed her game.
@mydanods (6762)
• Nigeria
@aureliah (14842)
Sorry about your night and I hope you spared sometime to take a nap.
I managed to get a nap in the afternoon so I'm fine now thanks.
@aureliah (14842)
@JudyEv Thats great
You said you were bitten. What bit you? Are you babysitting the dog in the picture? The dog is very cool looking.
I think we've been bitten by chiggers, also called scrub-mites. We both have bites now. They are microscopic so it's a bit hard to avoid them when you can't see them. It seems they are in the vegetation just waiting for someone to walk past. I'll put up a photo of the dog, Chester, later. I don't have a photo of him at the moment.
@JudyEv So, what can you do for bites like that Judy? I look forward to seeing Chester.
• Portland, Connecticut
That is so funny, our former dog Beau loved to chase a ball but he would not give it back after lol Roscoe our new dog loves to chase and brings it right to you so you can throw it again.
They are all different aren't they?
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv Yes I guess as different as people are to each other lol
@moffittjc (42053)
• Gainesville, Florida
Whenever it rains all night here, I often get woken up since I'm such a light sleeper. And once I wake up, I always have trouble falling back asleep again, so there have been many nights where i've gotten up as early as you. Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise, because you can get a lot of work done before the sun rises if you feel productive enough. Most of the time I'll end up falling back asleep right about the time that everybody else decides to wake up!
I could have easily gone back to bed about 5.30 but I didn't. I might get a nap in this afternoon otherwise hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.
@moffittjc (42053)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv It never fails that the days I'm the most tired are the days I have the least opportunities to nap!
@kepweng (13227)
do u Take Sleeping pills??
Not normally. I find it hard to swallow tablets.
@Freelanzer (8503)
She's got quite a mouthful. Hope you are able to get back all that lost sleep.
Yes, I had a much better sleep thanks. She used to drop them all and rearrange them until she could fit them all in.