Fate Fakers On MyLot ? How To Deal With Them?

fake
Germany
I have a problem with catastrophe posts. Do the writers describe genuine cases or are they fate fakers (FF)? How do I get suspicious? Well, some stories are simply too bad to be true. The FFs make up diseases and catastrophes. That's not difficult if they have a vivid imagination. If they haven't, a little research can help them. Topics like rheumatoid arthritis, brain tumour, hip replacement, cancer, schizophrenia are waiting to be dealt with. The fakers may know people suffering from these diseases or a visit to google may provide the necessary information. Enough to concoct a heart-breaking story. Topics like, say, teen suicide, domestic violence, prostitution, coping with death make also for thrilling reading. This may sound cynical considering the fact that there are members who have suffered or are still suffering from diseases and catastrophes. Am I accusing them all of faking now? No, of course not. It's a tightrope walk. I may insult genuine sufferers by hinting that I don't believe their stories and I may please fakers when expressing my deep felt sympathy for a made up horror story. Let’s have a look at the different faker types and their motives: 1) We can assume that some members are crazy. The anonymity of the net attracts crazies. Each site has its fair share. The things they describe are perhaps real to them. Naturally, they're not open to attack. If they were confronted with the accusation of abusing the site, they wouldn’t understand it. 2) Members who are bored or frustrated for whatever reason may decide to fake a fate which is not theirs to attract attention. Some virtual hugs and kisses from their online friends may do them good. Should such people be accused? I don't think so, sad sods that they are. 3) I have no problem imagining someone faking a fate and enjoying themselves immensely. Who am I to decide with which activity people should have fun? Should such joksters be accused of abuse? Well, what harm do they do? Faking in this way doesn’t hurt anyone. They pull the readers' legs and amuse themselves by doing so. Let them be! There are worse crimes like multiple accounts, plagiarising and insulting members that should be prosecuted. So if we're in doubt, we shouldn't react at all considering the tight rope situation? Hmm, a difficult one. I've decided to leave an 'Indeed?' in the comment thread. If the story is true, the word doesn’t mean much. I may appear a bit silly but can live with this. If the story is a fake, the faker will understand that I've seen through them. ___ P.S. When I entered 'faker' in the search box of pixabay, I got this pic.
I just live and let live. I believe in honesty and I love seeing the good in others-not the bad.
Well stated,let always see the good in others
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
Because we can't tell a faker from a real person unless the story is sensational and unlikely to be real, we can do nothing but take them at face value. I wouldn't spend all my time wondering if a story was true or fake. I have lots of other things to spend my time on.
I have no idea why anyone would want to pretend to be sick, Now that would make me mad because I have been around so much suffering and disease.
@rakski (16054)
maybe to get attention?!? but it is annoying
@andriaperry I have seen users posting that they were sick, unable to move and two days later they joined a crazy party.
@kobesbuddy (46493)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck Yes, I've seen those posts, also. They were instantly all better!
I feel sorry for anyone who has to make up such pathetic stuff.
@sabtraversa (13326)
@NJChicaa They need help as well, after all.
I do believe we do have posts created by those seeking attention. If doubt about what has been posted enters my mind, I just move on without responding. I am sure I have been duped many a time, but that's OK.
@skydream (1159)
• Agate, Colorado
Even if i have doubt I'll extend sympathies because there's always the chance it is true and I know that some of the things I've dealt with and stuff would sound fake to people because it would seem there's no way it could be real though it is. I know there's plenty of people who lie about something bad that happened because they like the attention it gives them but because you don't know for sure if it's fake i just say I'm sorry or don't comment at all.
@sprite1950 (14022)
• Corsham, England
I tend to agree with this because I wouldn't know if someone was faking a story to get attention. Just browsing through my own posts to see if I might be described as one of them
• Russian Federation
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very interesting. I believe 50% of the story I read... I head somewhere that 30% of our memory is our attitude to the events in the past, which is not the truth
This is not what I mean. You're right, what we remember and think is right may not be completely correct. What I mean is conscious lying to attract attention.
• Russian Federation
@MALUSE I know, just some people persuade themselves that it is "true," they make their life a lie and believe in it
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
@MashaVickina Eventually, their life becomes a lie.
@OneOfMany (12423)
An elephant pretending to be a turtle is certainly a faker... but for the 'elephant in the room' reference, it would be easier to escape notice under the couch! I guess you can tell the fakes from the ones not faking, because those of us with tough fates make jokes or don't do anything more than talk about it. I like creating a story from time to time, but I often make jokes out of my serious topics, including the ones that upset me. A faker would create a drama out of a bed bug bite.
@OneOfMany (12423)
@thehousewife My true story life accounts are so unbelievable that I have trouble thinking they are real... and I've lived through them!
@OneOfMany (12423)
@thehousewife Here's mine: Every 8 years of my life, I get into a life threatening situation. The pattern has been ages: 0, 8, 16, 24, and 32 so far. Each one is horrible in its own way. There's a lot more attached to it, but it starts to scare people, and they get wary of talking to me, so I'll leave it at that. My most recent injury doctors couldn't figure out was why I couldn't sit down without being in a lot of pain. Everyone thought it was different things, but nothing pointed to an answer. Just a month ago, I surmised that it was caused by muscular imbalance in the body. So I have been working out my muscles, and my legs have been getting better. It's a long fix, but it's nice to know there is something I can do to get better.
We can assume many things but, as a bottom line, if it really bothers you that much why not just move on to something less alarming? Interesting picture.
It's hard to tell as you say. I'm pretty gullible most of the time and mostly I guess I believe them.
@Freelanzer (8923)
I read everything online cautiously. I don't know the people so I don't immediately accept everything I read as truth or lie. I don't know and I don't care much and I don't lose any sleep over it one way or the other
@pgntwo (21651)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Indeed. Note, no question mark.
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
Damn! You've caught on to the fact I'm not the handsome, intelligent, witty, devil may care individual I present on this website!!!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh no......you've lied to me @WorDazza ??????
@WorDazza (10106)
• Manchester, England
@nanette64 Lie! Me? Never! Economical with the truth maybe! But lie! Never!!!
@sabtraversa (13326)
If you have nothing to talk about, just make up something. However, in order to fake an existing condition, these people probably search for something more than mere content: hugs, kisses or attention. That's often a symptom of a personality disorder, that'd make them "crazy" too, but personality disorders aren't that easy to diagnose. I think your #2 often falls into #1. Well, I always think that, talking with those who suffer, helps me somehow: it can improve my knowledge, empathy and social skills. I get a benefit from "pitying other people", whether they're genuine or fate fakers*, so I don't mind and never thought of taking action against the latter category. I also think those who fake, are likely to always fake. They create a character, and they make that character turn extreme, full of misfortune and little or no good stories to tell. They are also never truly grateful for the support or attention they receive, you may notice they want more and more. But we're here giving more tips to these fate fakers, telling them how to look more genuine. *You taught me a new word/expression, yay, thank you.
I coined this word. Glad you like it.
@sabtraversa (13326)
@MALUSE Oh really? Yes, I do like it.
@Starmaiden (5914)
Drama kings and queens. Those preying on the sympathies of others. They may have turned to mylot because facebook and twitter finally rejected them. Sad. :-(
@vandana7 (64925)
I have had a few issues. Been physically and sexually abused by my family members. I saw bad times, but over a period, have managed to make enough for financially comfortable old age. Unfortunately my abusive family continues to knock my doors, hoping for some reconciliation, now that I am not married, and have no kids. At other end, there are some shrewd people who start planning their life thinking I should adopt them or their kids. Fighting this end and that end seems to be what is my fate. I want neither. But I have received threat from one of my father's paternal cousins that they will be around when dad is no more. I don't know if the threat will be carried out or not. He is quite old. Moreover, dad has executed a will clearly mentioning that none of the relatives would inherit anything. Now, that means, even if they kill me, the money goes to government if I have not executed a will till then. But they can beat me to execute some documents in favor of third parties, and take their share. Luckily, I am not that rich as of now, but there is some property in court that can make rich enough for that. I don't really know my fate. But my cousins have all vices, drinking, gambling, womanizing. Money is needed for those. I could be lucky and escape them. Or I could be unfortunate and suffer something. I don't like to dwell on it, because it makes me mad.
Have you informed a lawyer about these relatives so that, should something happen to you, the police will check them out?
@vandana7 (64925)
@MALUSE If the money is substantial, police here can be bribed. Even witnesses in dad's will can be bribed.
@vandana7 What a country! :-(
@augusta123 (5742)
How do you know the fakers?we can only empathize with them.
Not all fakers deserve empathy.
@MALUSE but that's their aim or do they gain financial benefits here since I'm.still new.
@augusta123 Every member earns money here whose posts are Liked and Commented on by other members no matter what the posts are about.
I am sure we have users who post only to seek attention. Their stories are not true, if you go through their old discussion they contradict themselves several times. Reality sometimes is more incredible than reality, but you can feel when something is real or invented.
@rakski (16054)
I agree with you there @LadyDuck
@rakski People should be more considerate, especially when they want to share "healthy tips". I think this should be a forbidden topic here. They search Internet and they write a lot of nonsense suggestions.
@LeaPea2417 (20413)
• Toccoa, Georgia
What about people here who may not write something as a topic , but will write something about themselves as an answer to someone's topic, do you think some of them could be faking what they say to the writer of the topic for attention?
I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible. Some people will do everything for attention.
@AKRao24 (18124)
Yes, I agree with you and I have indirectly hinted the person that he/she is faking to get the attention from the members here! If are bit careful and follow them we can easily make out this! Thanks @MALUSE! The picture is self explanatory for the title ans is very appropriate too!