My son saw a neurologist today

Yesterday my son saw the pediatrician and I told him about the noises my son makes and worried it could be Tourette’s. He said it’s a tough one to diagnose and our best bet was a hospital 2 hours away. I took my daughter many times there when she was little so I know it’s a top rated hospital and worth the drive for the best doctors. The hospital had a cancellation and said if I could come at 1 today they could see him if not he would have to wait 9-12 months. I snagged that appointment up! My boyfriend fell bad in his driveway on snow and hurt his hip. With his bone disease I was very worried. Plus we were supposed to get 8 inches of snow overnight so I was terrified to drive in that! So I barely slept all night. The first 20 miles were pretty bad but after that the roads were fine. We stopped once fast at a rest area to use the bathroom and to get food at McDonalds. We arrived at the hospital with a half hour to spare (after leaving the house 3 hours before) which was good as it’s so enormous and confusing to navigate through. The neurologist was new and she was amazing! We could not have picked a funnier kind woman if we had tried. She really put my son at ease and had him giggling a lot. She thinks I am right about his movement being stereotypy but she does not think the noises he makes is Tourette’s. She said usually Aspergers and Tourette’s don’t show up together. She said the medicines have a lot of bad side effects and if it’s not Tourette’s it will not help. She feels it’s just part of the Aspergers. She said to wait six months and see how things are and then if I still am concerned to see the head neurologist who deals with motor movements who unfortunately was not there today or she would have had him speak to me as well to get a second opinion. I believe my daughter saw him when she was little. The photo is of my ice cream. They were passing out free ice cream sundaes. This hospital is just amazing if I lived closer it’s somewhere I’d love to work.
well thats good news. Now about your fingernail, those ridges, what causes those? I have them also, on my right hand.
@andriaperry had to look at the photo closer to see what you saw. Never had such a problem but I have always had very brittle nails. I looked up what it could mean and perhaps this can answer your question.
Your fingernails can reveal a lot about the state of your health. Conditions ranging from stress to thyroid disease may be causing changes in your nails.
@andriaperry lol how funny you noticed that. I noticed in photos like this it causes my fingers to look stubby but I'm so used to the ridges and rarely see others nails that I didn't notice them in the photo. I just at my sons and he doesn't have them. @RasmaSandra that article was interesting thank you! I have always had the ridges and I remember as a teen sometimes using an emery board to buff then smooth but it was time consuming so I quit bothering. Based on the article it could be due to my anemia, kidney damage, or not having much protein in the foods I eat. I guess there's a lot of reasons people can have the ridges but those 3 are the ones I'd pinpoint as likely reasons of mine.
@RasmaSandra thank you
It would be really reassuring to visit such a good hospital and meet such a kind doctor. At least you now know more than you did. What a shame it is such a long drive.
If it hadn't been for the snow overnight it would have only been about a 2 hour drive there instead of three. Getting good care is worth the drive!
@shaggin It certainly is but that mean all you can do for the moment is put up with the noises your son makes?
@JudyEv yes unfortunately. She said to make sure he stays hydrated which he does and that doesn't help and to get plenty of physical exercise so that is what we need to work on daily but who knows if that will help either but worth a try.
I hope everything is alright.
@marguicha thank you! I thought it was pretty likely with the sounds he makes constantly that he has Tourettes but the neurologist didn't think so so that is good news.
@shaggin Let us hope so. Many times, children outgrow some of those sounds.
Awww if this is any consolation to the diagnosis of Aspergers, the good thing it is NOT clinically debilitating but just socially slow to trust kind of thing. The sustained impairment is generally psychological in which hypnosis (used gently to discover what might be blocking your son from wanting to interact with others) could be useful. It would be invasive, no medication really needed (and if he is on some, well you know how I feel about that), it is not physically destroying so this can be managed with a great behavioral therapist.
@enlightenedpsych2 so far he is not taking any medicines. I imagine if he was picked on at school for crying easily etc it could cause him to not want to be around other kids. The noises he makes are very tough to deal with but thankfully with him being home with me for school he isn't around kids who likely would make fun of him for what he can't control. I imagine it would be very hard on the teachers as well.
@enlightenedpsych2 I guess his chest. He usually says eh and sounds like a goose or something.
@enlightenedpsych2 I think he has sinus issues like his father and grandfather and uncles so instead of clearing his throat loudly as they do he make this eh noise. It’s not an attention thing as he does it right up until he falls asleep even when no one is in the room. He doesn’t seem able to stop it though. Usually he does it worse when he is coming down with something but I’m thinking things lately are due to allergies possibly.
@YrNemo (14768)
Being a parent, we have a lot of worries haven't we! Hope everything turns out with your daughter. xo
@YrNemo Being a parent is wonderful but you are right we have a lot of worries. My daughter is doing great it was my son who I was worried had Tourette’s.
@YrNemo (14768)
@shaggin (I am in a rush hence the mistake in reading. )
@YrNemo no problem at all I assumed it was a typo. It was a long post it’s hard to stay focused sometimes.
@Tina30219 (36648)
• Onaway, Michigan
I hope things get better for your son. Sounds like you found a good one willing to help him.
We got very lucky that she is new there. If we had to wait to see the other guy it would have been a very long time before we could see him. If it is the same guy my daughter saw he didn't have nearly the personality that woman had.
@Tina30219 (36648)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin I hope that what he is going through goes away if not I hope you don’t have to wait a long time to get in to be seen again.
@Tina30219 thank you very much!
I'm glad you got there safe and had a good visit with the doctor.
@just4him thank you very much. I'm glad that isn't a drive I have to do weekly.
@shaggin It's a good thing it isn't. You would be worn out from the driving alone.
@just4him driving long distances is very tiring for some reason and then I get restless legs and cant sleep at night.
• Pamplona, Spain
I love it when Doctors are so nice and helpful. Wishing for a good treatment for whatever it is.
@lovinangelsinstead21 thank you very much! Since she doesn't think it is Tourettes and just part of the Aspergers there really isn't much that can be done as medicine won't help. Hopefully as he gets older he will learn to try to stifle the sounds for longer periods of time.
• Pamplona, Spain
@shaggin So he outgrows the condition then? Hope he can get better as time goes on bless him.
@lovinangelsinstead21 hopefully he will outgrow it but it's not guaranteed.
I have never heard of a hospital passing out free ice cream. I hope you will find out what is going on with your son.
@Hannihar they have lots of things they do at this hospital. It's an amazing place. The particular lobby where they were passing out the ice cream has a fountain and a train that go around the ceiling around the whole room. I was there one year around Christmas with my daughter and there was a singer playing beautiful songs and he gave out a CD of his music that was my favorite Christmas cd of all time. His voice was amazing and he had an upbeat spin on all the songs.
@shaggin Shaggin, it sounds like an amazing hospital.
@Hannihar It really is exceptional!
@anikoonline (3258)
• Hungary
Does he have an Aspergers diagnosis?
@anikoonline yes as of about 6 months ago or so.
• Hungary
@shaggin But at least you have the diagnosis and you can help him to improve in the way he needs.
@anikoonline yes it makes me be able to understand more how his brain works.
Sorry you only partly got answers. But glad its a nice hospital with nice drs
@Courtlynn I think she was concentrating her thoughts on his movements more where as I was concerned about his noises as it's been more often and worse lately. But she doesn't think it's Tourettes so I will just have to wait it out and see how he does and have confidence that she is a pro in her field and knows better then I do about these things.
@shaggin maybe.. goodluck !
@Courtlynn thank you!
Glad you all arrived safely with half an hour to spare. :) Did she recommend to change or lower the dosage of his medication or anything?
@infatuatedbby he doesn't take any medicine. The ones for Tourettes can have bad side effects like weight gain (he's already skinny and can't afford to lose weight), kidney stones, sedative etc. Plus if it's not Tourettes then the medicines won't help at all.
@shaggin oh I see I got confused and saw medicines but that’s if he has that illness but he doesn’t. :)
@infatuatedbby long posts can be hard to follow sometimes sorry.
It's really nice you got an appointment so quickly and that you were happy with the doctor. Glad things went well
@Marilynda1225 yes it was very lucky that when the doctor called to see when they could see me that they had a cancellation the following day. I would have worried for the next 9-12 months over this if I had to wait so that was a blessing!
@shaggin I just blows my mind how long people have to wait for appointments. I don't think I would have been able to stay calm if I had to wait that long. Good thing you got in right away.
@Marilynda1225 There are just so few doctors around here that people have huge wait to see one and have to drive a long way. The neurologist was telling me how for a certain type of cancer there is only 4 doctors in the entire country who deal with that. Imagine the wait on that and how far people would have to travel
@bunnybon7 (37707)
• Holiday, Florida
sounds like that one in AZ i love. wish this hospital was half that nice. i wouldn't mind so much.
Our hospital is so terrible and outdated equipment. I hate when we have to go there. A 2-3 hour drive stinks but is better when you look at how much better care you get!
@bunnybon7 (37707)
• Holiday, Florida
@shaggin i hear you.
@Madshadi (8991)
• Brussels, Belgium
I’m glad you met a kind neurologist. And I hope it will all turn out well for your boyfriend and your son
@Madshadi Since the doctor doesn't think it's Tourettes that is a bit of a relief and hopefully it is a habit he will outgrow. I saw my boyfriend yesterday and he seems okay. He is a bit sore but at least nothing is broken.
@Madshadi (8991)
• Brussels, Belgium
@shaggin I’m glad to hear that.
@nela13 (9460)
• Portugal
Glad you found a good neurologist. How old is your son?
@nela13 thank you! My son is 10.
@nela13 (9460)
• Portugal
@shaggin Hope he will be fine. I have a son too, mine is 9.
That is great news. Hope your son pulls through.
@allen0187 thanks! It wasn't life threatening or anything just very irritating for those around him to have to listen to the constant noises he makes.
So glad you had that appointment. From knowing what I know about my students, children with Aspergers had ticks and mannerisms unrelated to those of Tourette's. Wonderful doctor!
@DianneN It was a long drive but worth it to rule that out. Hopefully these noises he makes he will outgrow or learn to control for longer periods of time as he gets older. I just hate to think of him getting picked on for it but with it just being part of the Aspergers there isn't anything that can be done to stop it as medicine won't help.
@shaggin Medicine won't help, but I'm sure he will outgrow it.
@FayeHazel (21431)
Oh wow, I am so happy the Dr. was nice and that you got some more information
@FayeHazel he usually leaves places grumpy but he did so great. He did so wonderful the whole day with a 5 hour drive in total. He never complained or anything and he had to have been terribly bored.
@FayeHazel (21431)
@shaggin Oh wow! Good for him maybe it's a new trend
You were lucky to find a very nice neurologist. I am glad she does not think it's Tourrette's disease. Let's hope you son will stop making that noise.
@LadyDuck he has always made the noises but usually not this often. She said it can cycle and this is about the age it happens often. So hopefully over the next few months it will quite down some.
@shaggin I hope the neurologist is right. At least you are reassured now, it's not Tourrette's disease.