I enjoy driving through fields

By JJ
Or at least that is where my GPS device tells me I am driving. The speedometer cable broke on my van a few months ago, so I have been driving around guessing my speed. Luckily, I hadn't gotten any tickets for speeding yet. It was the actual speedometer, and not the cable to it, that broke, and it was going to be a real pain to replace it. My Boss said he had an old TomTom GPS that he didn't use anymore, and if I wanted it he'd give it to me. Since those have a display to tell how fast you are moving, I decided that would be the easiest/cheapest fix. Unfortunately, the maps for it are outdated by several years, so some newer roads don't exist on it. Which means sometimes it shows me driving across a field. I don't really travel anywhere that isn't 'local', but I figured I might go ahead and update the map for it. Turns out the cheapest updated map for it is $49.95. And at that price, I figure I'll just keep driving through fields.
$49.95 for an update? Keep the TomTom as it is. You know where you are driving better than it does.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Goodness. That's a little steep for am update. You could probably get a newer GPS for that price on ebay
Since I am just using it for a speedometer instead of directions, I'm just gonna leave it as it is. The map update is a full map of all roads in America, if I used it to travel it would probably be worth it.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@JolietJake You could take the great American road trip. Actually you don't seem like a road tripper. Plus I can't imagine Scar would be ok with that.
@cintol (5255)
Mine does the same thing sometimes, one time it had me take an exit just to get back on the highway at the bottom.
@BarBaraPrz (19590)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Now, that's funny.
@cintol (5255)
@BarBaraPrz It is kind of funny but I wasn't laughing at the time. lol
@BarBaraPrz (19590)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@cintol I guess not.
@deba12 (1207)
Go and get that car from your boss and double your fun.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
Haha. That would make for an exciting day.
• Pakistan
Life is about making compromises.. Keep driving through fields! BTW, you can follow the sign boards!
@Starmaiden (4979)
• Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
As long as YOU know where you're going... :-D
@kobesbuddy (43619)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I've never seen a GPS, but I'm sure they are very helpful. As soon as I comprehend how a gadget works, they update it and do things a completely different way! My father had me drive through a farmer's corn field one day, looking for an old cemetery he wanted to show me. Good grief, I almost lost our muffler system!
@sallypup (26623)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I've never messed with a GPS. Have yourself a ball kerbunking through those fields.
I don’t even know where our GPS is. We had a Garmin several years ago but I have no clue what happened to it. My husband started using it for work and then I never saw it again. I use Waze on my phone for directions when I need them. Before I downloaded that app I used the Maps feature on my iPhone.
Probably lucky it doesn't have a voice. I'm presuming it hasn't. One we had would have been saying 'at the first opportunity, get back on the road'. Which struck us as very funny.
That made me chuckle. Imagine those that actually follow those maps closely. I have read more articles about people driving into ponds or rivers when directed to do so my their GPS directions. Whatever happened to using your eyes?
my brother so needs one of those.how the frick do you get lost in RI?
Make the most out of it. It's rare to see people driving in the field these days!