Happy St. Patricks Day!

Photo courtesy of morguefile.com
Laguna Woods, California
We are not the green beer and food type of people. Over the years, I used to make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, but my husband is no longer allowed to eat foods which are heavily salted, and corned beef is just salted beef. However, I did wear green today for my Saturday morning walk! That's about as "Irish" as it got for my St. Patrick's Day. We're going out for Mexican food for dinner. Not very Irish of us, I know. What about you? Doing anything special for St. Patrick's Day?
@bunnybon7 (37694)
• Holiday, Florida
seems less and less people celebrate this these days. i can't any more but when i could i really celebrated hard. dancing , dining, te whole bit
• Laguna Woods, California
@bunnybon7 - I have a sister who still parties a lot, but I gave that up years ago!
@sallypup (29340)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We went out to a burger joint with a friend and had a late lunch. I wore my Christmas sweater cause its green.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - I love the idea of getting two holidays out of one sweater. Great idea!
Nah, just another day on the calendar here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - Pretty much like that for us, too. We don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day!
Sounds like a plan.So what can you make that he can eat? I celebrated it when I lived in the States. Now, I just celebrate our Sabbath and our Jewish Holidays here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - We have a very limited diet most of the time. Mostly chicken or fish with a small salad, applesauce, rice, and bland foods like that. Once or twice a week we go out to dinner and he orders something more interesting, although he never orders red meat and we ask for no added salt or sauces on whatever he does order. We keep things very simple.
@DeborahDiane I see that and can't you order dessert when you go out to eat? People get used to things.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - He can eat some desserts, but we try not to overdo it. People with kidney disease are also at higher risk of developing diabetes.
Our friend usually throws wonderful St. Patrick's Day parties down in Florida, but not this year. She's at her home in New York battling colon cancer. Our son and grandson flew down for the weekend, so we spent the day at an African Safari and swimming in our pool.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - I'm sorry to hear about your friend. We also have a friend who is battling colon cancer. Three weeks ago, we were out to dinner with him and he was complaining about stomach pain after heavy meals. Today, he is in the hospital and just had part of his colon removed on Friday. Life can change so quickly!
@DeborahDiane Exactly! Our friend attended our son's wedding on a Friday looking beautiful and feeeling great. By Tuesday she was at the doctor's office, and on Thursday had surgery for a mass entangled on her colon. Very rare form. She's undergoing 12 rounds of chemotherapy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - It is so shocking how fast that can happen! Our friend hasn't even started chemo, but I guess that is next.
I wore a green shirt and that was all that I did.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - That was about all I did, too!
We had the Irish flag up and a couple of cardboard shamrocks for our concert but that was it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Putting up an Irish flag and some shamrocks was a lot more effort than I put into it! Good for you!
Wearing green is as far as I got too.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - Yeah, I don't think most people are that into St. Patrick's Day, unless they are Irish American and very enthusiastic about the holiday!