Conversations with the old.

@eileenleyva (10964)
Once upon a time, I hated the idea of being in the company of the old. They seem not to put importance to what anybody says anyway. I'd rather be with children whose innocent ways always fill me with wonder. Till one day, I did find my self in the company of the old, literally. Before long, I was assisting them, from walking to running errands for them I couldn't say no, for how could I. they are old and they need my help. Sigh. Then it happened, taking care of the old became an advocacy. Not that I was compelled to do it but more like there is a certain serenity one finds and feels when dealing with the old. Perhaps it is their genteel ways, their soft manner of narrating stories even if what they are narrating are actually rants. Ha ha Listening to the old is like dancing with the winds. The wisdom they bequeath strikes one below the belt. Impact hard and gutt-wrenching. Afterwards, it is all right to keep up with the beat again. Dance again. In the picture is Imelda Bondoc, 81 years this 25th of May. She lives alone, so I visit her every so often in her country-like abode. That's her Chinese guava she is showing.
I'm rather old myself already so I like reading positive words about old age. Yet, my view is a bit different. Things *should* be as you have described them. Sadly, there are also a lot of stupid people among the old.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Do a Dr, Sheldon Cooper Act, when confronted with a stupid situation. When pressed for an answer though, I ask the usual: Is that a rhetorical question?
@mandala100 (36210)
@eileenleyva I'm always in the company of my grand parents during my childhood years.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Then that is why you are an amiable person. You are naturally friendly here in mylot. Your grandparents reared you well.
@mandala100 (36210)
@eileenleyva Thank you my friend and take care.
Imelda looks a lovely lady. She certainly doesn't look like she is 81. I think the old have a lot of wisdom to impart to us.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Five children, all doctors, I think, three in America and two in Palawan. She chose to be on her own so she could spend time and treasure with the less fortunate. Even with a heart condition herself, she still brings the needy to the hospital. Amazing lady.
@alberello75 (16597)
• Genova, Italy
Older people, in my opinion, should be listened to. They are wise persons.
@eileenleyva (10964)
I agree. Though in the beginning, I was astounded by the repetitive narratives. But I learned I could live with it and actually help my own memory a little bit.
@alberello75 (16597)
• Genova, Italy
@eileenleyva Exactly. Our "elders" are sometimes like encyclopedias.
@Starmaiden (3997)
• Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I have been around the elderly for many years as a youngster. My mother looked after senior citizens in our home for many years. I grew up around the elderly and I enjoyed it very much. :-)
@eileenleyva (10964)
What a way to prance to life with the company of the old. You are deeply blessed. The old are certainly the best people to be around when one is beginning with life, Your mother must be the perfect mother one can ever have, for she cares for people who needed her.
Thank you because as far as age and how I feel at times I fit in the old category even though i do not look it.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Hmmm. would it be all right if you upload a picture here? Sometimes, I do feel I would like very much to see the real images of my virtual friends. Please?
@eileenleyva eileenleyva, I would gladly show you a picture of me but I never had looked my age. I die my hair to my hair color. You will not see an old person in the picture but people do not see what is inside of one to know how they really feel. This is me with my Sophie.
@eileenleyva eileenleyva, sometimes she lets me take her picture and other times I want to capture her when she is not looking. I have never looked my age. I do have myself on my scooter as my profile picture. I like that one. Thanks so much for the compliments.
@anikoonline (2693)
• Hungary
Older people are wiser and have many life experiences. I like having a real, deep conversation with them.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Exactly. What you said was what I was groping to write in the discussion. You wrote it in two lines,. I had to dangle with the sentences.
• Hungary
@eileenleyva I was never able to write long posts, articles, texts. I wish I could!
@eileenleyva (10964)
@anikoonline The shorter the post, the better to read. Especially when vision fails one because of age. That is why flash fiction, as genre is good literature. Caters to the busy and makes the mind wander.
@cintol (4595)
Its nice that you enjoy being around them now, they need our help in their ages as we did theirs when we were little. Life is like a circle, your a child who needs help and your parents help you learn and grow, as we become older, we rely on those children who are now adults to help us into our afterlife. The elderly have such beautiful memories of their lives and they love to relive them, its nice when they have someone to listen to them. I love taking care of them as well.
@eileenleyva (10964)
The elderly are very sweet, their disposition calm and gentle. Perhaps the age has a way of mellowing people. The elderly seems free of anxiety and any form of worry. They just repeat their stories, some go back to the last quarter of the century. I do get a good laugh at the way they recall their youth and old school adventures. Yes, the circle of life. Soon enough, we would be at the receiving end of care and assistance. Hope I do reach that age as jovially as Sister Imelda.
@eileenleyva (10964)
The elderly I assist and care for are sweet. The cheery disposition probably comes from the fact that they have their own dwellings, enough pension money for subsistence and minimal needs, and the fact that they know their children are fine, living their dreams. The circle of life, yes. I do hope when it's my time to be recipient of care, I would also have the happy attitude.
@cintol (4595)
@eileenleyva You are lucky to have such happy clients, I had some who's kids didn't have time for them anymore and so they hired us. Broke my heart so I would take them gifts and special treats to make them smile. Good way to look at it when your time comes.
@mlgen1037 (16674)
• Manila, Philippines
I miss my grandma upon reading this. Most old people tend to think they know everything and can be hard headed. But like my grandma, she has a lot of stories to share and she never gets tired of making us happy. She can be strict but she always make sure she protects and loves us.
@eileenleyva (10964)
That is memory cherished in your heart. Our fondness for our beloved are all we have when we are not with them. Enjoy them when they are still with you. Keep their memories alive when they are no longer with you. Life is made wonderful with the old guiding us by.
@mlgen1037 (16674)
• Manila, Philippines
@eileenleyva I agree. That is what I learned too. The old have words of wisdom to share and stories that will surely fascinate us.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@mlgen1037 And when we take care of them and love them in our hearts, we will be blessed with long lives, too.
@sprite1950 (11501)
• Corsham, England
I know exactly what you mean. I used to think the same until I got a job in an old people's home and I learned to listen to them and love their funny little ways,The sad thing is I'm getting there myself so I will probably have to rely on other people at some point. The lady in your picture looks wonderful for her age.
@eileenleyva (10964)
I laugh at the funny little ways, too, and they shush me. Hey, I am old myself and I do believe that as we age, the wonders of life begin to unfold. So, maybe we need a little assistance when it comes to our physical needs but as the kind lady up there has shown me, every thing can be done. Never worry.
@sprite1950 (11501)
• Corsham, England
@eileenleyva I guess so but my mother had dementia in her later years and it was very sad to watch as she became so upset and anxious without even knowing why.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@sprite1950 Oh, I am sorry to know that. Two classmates have the same predicament. Their mothers do not remember them anymore. One classmate in Illinois did put her mother in a nursing home. She visits her every weekend, to do her hair, nail polish, walk her somewhere and even party, when occasions like birthdays come. Her mother is delighted with all the activities, My classmate just have to live with her own mother not knowing her. The other classmate hired a round-the-clock caregiver. She couldn't part with her mother. In cases such as these, I always say do what you think is best for you and your mother.
Yeah we can learn a lot from there experience, take care
@eileenleyva (10964)
Aside from the recipes and cooking procedures, I get a lot of true gossip, too.
@eileenleyva yeah that helps
@eileenleyva (10964)
@thesupersingh So, you agree with gossip. Sometimes, I get flabbergasted with the gruesome details. Yet, when I hear the story, I go Oh well, people are really nuts. Enjoy the nuts anyway. Thanks for agreeing, or I will think of you odd. Okay, that's a corny joke but a joke anyway.
@Fleura (7113)
She certainly looks like a lovely and lively lady! One of the things I like about this sire is that its anonymous nature means that you don't necessarily know how old the contributors are, and so don't judge them based on age.
@eileenleyva (10964)
That is true. She is lovely and lively and very kind. She was an accountant, well-traveled. and now, a widow with children, one of whom is a friend, spread around the globe, she attends to her apostolate. She brings people to hospitals for check-ups, and generously provides for those who cannot afford the bills., She also sponsors a young boy in the seminary.
@Fleura (7113)
@eileenleyva Wow that is amazing! The world would be a better place if there were more people like her, a true role model.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@Fleura Her children are doctors and servicemen. Yes, there is hope for the world, her grandchildren are following suit.
@lynnief (1024)
About 35 years ago I had an elderly Latvian friend. She used to tell me about her childhood when she cared for her family's sheep. Her stories were absolutely fascinating, and in the years since I have often wished that I had thought to record them, or at least to write them down after I had been talking to her.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Perhaps it is not too late to write down the stories you can recall, in the form of a short biography I love reading the stories of the ordinary people. A shepherdess, wow, a kind of character I love in my heart.
@lynnief (1024)
@eileenleyva Unfortunately too many years have passed. I simply don't remember enough to put together a story.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@lynnief The trend these days is flash fiction. Just an anecdote or two about her would do. Those little stories will live down to posterity. A fitting tribute to an ordinary person. And of course, you must put your byline. It will be your story. I wrote about my father and my mother, too. My mother got to read my flash fiction. She loved it.
@augusta123 (4534)
Yea,i love oldies wisdom its life to me.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Just who we need for inspiration, yeah? The youth does need the wise.
Celebrate life! Celebrate old age!
@eileenleyva (10964)
Exactly what I told her, a celebration is a thanksgiving. Now I have a lunch invitation to Yellow Lantern Cafe..
@yani73 (632)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
its so good
@eileenleyva (10964)
Am in astonishment.
When I saw the picture before reading the discussion, I was meaning to ask what that fruit is coz it looks like a guava but the tree is too small and the leaves look different. Then I read the last sentence of your discussion. Thanks for providing that information.
@eileenleyva (10964)
The Chinese guava is small but tender to bite and chew than the local guava. Seedlings,if there still are, are sold at Circle.
@Icydoll (13153)
I also like to have conversations with old people..we can gain lot knowledge from their experiences
@eileenleyva (10964)
When I thought my worries were nothing so easy to solve, all I have to do is to narrate my problems to the old, then I have my solutions, free. Such wisdom and goodness in the old.
• Cuddalore, India
I would like have some conversion with them so we can gain experience from them..
@eileenleyva (10964)
Find an old friend and you can have the wisdom that lived through centuries. The old share their knowledge freely, all the education we need to guide us through life.
I love talking with older people, i can learn a lot from them. And is are those guavas?
@eileenleyva (10964)
Yes, that is Chinese guava. And yes, the learning is unending with the old people guiding.