mr. anonymous and the engineer

https://pixabay.com/en/together-helping%E2%80%8B-each-other-winning-2643652/
i saw a plaque of recognition dated 2006 for a mr. anonymous. it says it's for supporting a scholarship program for poor but deserving students from his hometown. he sponsored a scholar who graduated in civil engineering that will give him a brighter horizon in the future. i wonder where that engineer is now? how successful he has become? how he feels about his sponsor? will he do the same - help someone finish school? i used to think about having an activity place for children in the neighborhood to read, watch, listen and play with educational things. do you have genuine concern and want to uplift your neighborhood? or your hometown? or would rather do it somewhere else?
@mandala100 (36095)
@hereandthere I hope he do the same to others my friend.
it would be nice if we all helped each other. would you help your hometown, too, when you retire?
I will help others but not start anything myself.
would you do it anonymously? tributes feel awkward to me.
We have places where kids can go to play, read and learn educational things. I am glad that the authorities here take care of the matter.
can children be dropped off and parents come back to pick them up later? because that would be very helpful to get errands done.
@hereandthere Yes, there are volunteers who take care of the children.
@LadyDuck do the parents have to pay for how many hours the children are there?
@Madshadi (8951)
• Brussels, Belgium
We have play days here all the time. But you would rarely see kids playing outside on normal days
because they're rather be on their devices?
@Madshadi (8951)
• Brussels, Belgium
@hereandthere I wouldn't know but I think that the playing activities are held indoors or in special places and very rarely in the neighbourhood
@Madshadi for their safety, i guess.
If I have the chance with the resources, I will sponsor someone to study a certain major. I did this before when working in the local government agency and assisted the community projects.
what major would you like them to take?
@hereandthere I think if I have a lot of money, I can let them choose whatever he or she desires.
@Shavkat what kinds of community projects did you do?
In our neighborhood, I spearheaded the solicitation of my neighbor's financial help by dividing the calculated expenses of having the 3 street lights leading to our neighborhood. Good thing, it was received with a positive response and they all give their share. After which, I hired an electrician and let him buy all the needed materials and do them. Maybe, when I retire I can do more to beautify the neighborhood.
at the place you grew up in (your parents) or at your hubby's/in-laws?
@hereandthere At my in-law's house. They are already old so they don't mind the neighborhood.
We need those people to continue to inspire the youth, there's just so many distractions now a days.
yes, peer pressure is much more intense now.
Some kids just need that little bit of help - or a good role model even. It can make such a difference to their lives.
it can even be someone in the family like uncles and grandfathers
@YrNemo (11190)
Guess one of those engineers set up that plaque.
it was the organization but maybe the engineer was there
@YrNemo (11190)
@rakski (8750)
how I wish I could do the same. I would rather start in my own neighborhood given the chance.
that's nice. what project would you start?
@rakski (8750)
@hereandthere something for the kids. Maybe a tutorial or something. Or out of school youth, possibly something they can use to earn a living. Maybe a food stall wherein all the earnings they will share equally.
@Shiva49 (12083)
I have been doing it in a small way in few places and organizations. I have given money to finance a deserving medical student. We should all do what we can to help those in need - siva
how fortunate that future doctor was.
@epiffanie (9847)
Yeah! I have the same goal.. to set up a library for the children in my hometown but there is not much support for it .. But I sent books to the local integrated school.. I hope the teachers there encourage the children to read more ...
it's hard to compete with technology. most people seem to prefer looking at screens now. they expect sounds, color and action.
@acelawrites (10933)
I always wanted to help poor but bright students; if I have the means! The engineer you mentioned should give back to others what he had gained.
i hope he's doing well and helping others, too
@kepweng (11368)
god bless him
@thelme55 (14014)
I would love to know where that engineer now, too. I hope there are many Mr. Anonymous who help send children to school.
@jobelbojel (6808)
Where did you see the plaque of recognition? The Mr Anonymous is doing the right thing!
We always look back to our hometown and it's even nice to pay forward the kindness that was given to us. A professor in college once helped me, not with my grades, but in recognising a grade that was truly mine but the only proof was his signature or I wouldn't be able to graduate. He told me, I have helped you, now don't forget to help others.
You do what you can with what you have.