Come and sit down

Bunbury, Australia
Do you have a favourite chair? Some chairs are really comfortable but others just aren’t the right shape to suit us. In the photo you see a garden seat made from a tractor seat, a piece of pipe and a plough share. This is remarkably comfortable. Many machinery and tractor seats were modelled on the same pattern. Farmers spent many hours on their machines and a well-fitting seat would have made a lot of difference to their comfort. Which chair in your home do you find most comfortable?
Pretty cool chair Grandpa would have liked it.
No doubt his own tractor has a seat like it.
@xFiacre (4456)
@pgntwo the seat on my granny’s old outhouse toilet was lovely to sit on awhile on a warm summer night when the wood was warm and smoothed by generation’s of family butts.
@pgntwo (21656)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
... but a tad refreshing at 2am with a stiff nor'easterly howling around outside...
@xFiacre (4456)
@pgntwo That’s when we were allowed to use the best porcelain.
@pgntwo (21656)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@xFiacre Oh, the gazunda was reserved for guests on such occasions, yes, you're right! The guaranteed anti-splash thunder pot, complete with staring eye...
I love sitting on my work station at home. The chair wasn't that fancy. It is monoblock chair.
My desk chair is pretty comfy too and has armrests.
@JudyEv It sounds really comfortable. If I am going to change my chair. I would prefer to have a swivel chair.
@Shavkat Mine swivels and it's very convenient.
@magallon (18090)
I have this kind of relaxing chair in our house in the province. I bought this chair for my husband when he was already sick. I love this chair because i feel relax whenever i sit on it.
@Icydoll (19994)
I love this too...it's very comfortable to sit.
@magallon (18090)
@Icydoll yeah right... even in the previous school where i worked, these are the chairs that they have in the faculty lounge because it helps the professors to relax and nap...
We have some of these too and you are right. They are very relaxing to sit in.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
I prefer revolving chairs having head rest.
It's nice to have a head rest if you really want to relax.
The chair I sit on while working on the PC. However, it is just a regular chair and I have a cushion on it but with all the years of working on the PC, it is a bit wobbly. The other really comfortable chair in the room is an armchair I sit in when watching movies on my other PC.
I have a desk chair for my computer chair and it is very comfortable. Some of our other chairs don't go high enough for comfort in front of the computer.
@moffittjc (43014)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have a Lay-Z-Boy recliner that is so comfortable that I want to fall asleep the second I sit in it. Now that is a comfortable chair. My girlfriend and kids laugh at me about it, but they are always fighting with each other to see who gets to sit in it and watch TV. lol
Some recliners are like that aren't they? Two minutes and you're in the land of Nod.
@moffittjc (43014)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Sometimes I don't think it takes me two minutes to get to the land of Nod!
@moffittjc You must be a fast one! lol
@dodoazo (19686)
I have one at home. It's a plastic chair. It's color beige. When anyone at home used it, I am very sorry for O have to get it. It's the chair I feel comfortable when I sit there and do my work online.
Some of the plastic chairs are really comfortable. We have a few of them as 'outside' chairs.
@dodoazo (19686)
@JudyEv Not only plastic chairs are comfortable, they're also light and convenient to carry or move around. And they could be piled in a stack for space.
@dodoazo They are certainly convenient, however we have had two break when quite heavy people have sat on them. I guess they get weakened eventually.
Considering how long they would sit in those seats on their tractors and other machinery, it's good it was comfortable. My favorite chair is my recliner.
Recliners are great aren't they?
@JudyEv Yes, they are.
• Preston, England
my computer chair, the sort used in many offices. I find it quite comfy and easy to awivel round on
My computer chair swivels and has arm-rests. I find it very comfortable. it would probably be better if it weren't so comfortable and made me get up and move around a bit more often.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, mine has a habit of making me uninclined to move around on my legs too
That is one very unique chair! Glad to hear it is comfy! I would say my living room couch is the most comfy seating place. I have chairs, but it seems the couch is the place for me to be.
I love our couch too.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Those tractor seat chairs actually are really comfy
They are aren't they? Although they don't really look it.
@lynnief (1144)
I like an arm chair that has a back high enough to support my head and shoulders. I hate these modern things that just come up to around waist height. I have a lovely old recliner that fits the bill perfectly, and that I use as my "reading chair."
It's good to have your head and shoulders supported, especially if you're reading.
@deba12 (1476)
I sit most comfortably on single wooden chairs with armrests on its sides. As I have back pain, my doc advised me to sit on wooden chairs only. However, in my office, I have to sit on cushion chairs.
We have what are called tub chairs and they are very comfortable if you have a bad back, It's a shame you have to use cushion chairs at work.
@pgntwo (21656)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
There was a similar seat on the back of my uncle's old reaper-binder years ago, most comfy. You can see it close to camera, unoccupied, in this shot.
Yes, that's very similar to the one in my photo. It wasn't just tractor seats that were made like this but seats on all horse-drawn machinery. This looks like a horse-drawn reaper converted to be hauled by a tractor. Here is an old harvester restored by my brother. You can see the same sort of seat on it.
@pgntwo (21656)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JudyEv Yes, the reaper-binder had been horse-drawn, then adapted to be towed behind a tractor. I had the job of sitting up in the seat and engaging or disengaging the drove mechanism as the binder was navigated around awkward corners or the edges of the field. I remember one time being on the pick and stook team on the ground, when a fieldmouse shot out and went up the leg of my jeans. That was a hot topic for discussion at lunch that day! The pic on this page shows stooks behind the reaper-binder:
Bere is important.  There are three fundamental reasons for this. 1) The Future. According to the James Hutton Institute, Bere represents "a source of genetic diversity for (barley) breeders to tackle issues of agricultural sustainability post environmenta
@pgntwo Stooks? What's that? It's not in the dictionary.
That seat would do well with a coat of paint (lol) As for me I have my favourite corner
I'm not surprised this is your favourite corner. It looks a very relaxing place.
@JudyEv It over looks my garden and the bird bath
@allknowing An idyllic place.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
Yesterday I was testing some armchairs at IKEA. They are too expensive at the moment but I am definitely getting me one of those some day
I haven't tested the armchairs at IKEA. I hope to get back there soon and see what is new.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv the ones I saw where very comfortable and had a good neck and shoulder support
@Madshadi I'll check them out next time we go. We need some new shelving for our bedroom.
@miketagz (7496)
Old chairs are durable that's what my grandmothers says.
This one would be very, very old but being steel it is very durable.
@miketagz (7496)
@JudyEv yeah and still have in my house made of narra tree.
@YrNemo (12668)
I swear I saw some chairs like that in some public places a long time ago but never knew that they were tractor seats. Thought the design was cute .
They are popular with collectors now.
@YrNemo (12668)
@JudyEv That makes sense.
I have seen seats like tis and could not picture where until I read what it was made from. My father has an old tractor that was my grandfathers. This one needs a fresh coat of paint to brighten it up. A pretty teal color would be pretty.
Yes, it does need a coat of paint. They were all the rage once and old seats sold for really good prices. In fact, they still do.
@JudyEv very neat. I think I saw on in a story garden once actually. I think it was in an Alice in Wonderland scene. I'll have to look and see if I can find it.