I’ve started writing letters again!

@Fleura (7373)
United Kingdom
Do you remember when you used to look forward to the postman’s arrival? When the things that came through the letter box were postcards from friends and relatives, party invitations, news from old friends or maybe even from penfriends you’d never met? Nowadays when the postman pushes something through the door my heart sinks. Often it’s a bill or a letter from the tax man or the warning of some looming deadline requiring me to fill in long tedious forms, or a begging letter from a charity making me feel a terrible guilt if I don’t donate generously to their worthy cause (and they are almost all worthy, aren’t they?). Even the things that aren’t bad news don’t usually get much more exciting than a bank statement. Yes I do shop online now and then and it’s nice to get a parcel, even if you sent for it yourself, but there isn’t much of an element of pleasant surprise unless you’ve forgotten what you ordered. It seemed as though email and text messaging was going to spell the end of the written word, but you know what? Some of us old fogies, at least, are going back to it. Just because I know how lovely it is to get a message on paper, maybe even hand written. It takes longer and costs more to write a card or letter, maybe print a few pictures to go with it, then send it winging on its way, compared with zapping off a quick text or sharing photos on Facebook. But somehow the end result seems more special, and consequently makes the recipient feel special too. When did you last write a letter? Or receive one? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2018.
• Uzbekistan
I write occasionally. I have a wonderful fountain pen. It's a pity not to use it even though my handwriting is nothing to write home about - to use a fitting expression.
@Fleura (7373)
I do too - a Parker given to me by my Dad about 30 years ago. I use it all the time.
• Uzbekistan
@Fleura I also have a Parker fountain pen! I love it.
@Fleura (7373)
@MALUSE This is mine. The nib is mostly covered so it's not as attractive as many of the ones with really fancy nibs, but I hold my pen really close to the tip so it's better for me otherwise I would get really inky fingers!
I haven´t written letters for ages. And I understand your point: receiving a written letter is a lot better than to get an e-mail. My friend @CoralLevang wrote a card some time ago and I still cherish it.
Last year. I have pen pals from UK, Malaysia, Indonesia, and different cities from this country. However, some of their letters and mine too were never delivered by the postman. They got lost which was very disappointing.
@Fleura (7373)
it's a shame when letters go astray. However the same also happens with emails!
@Fleura Emails would usually go to the junk or spam mail. What's sad with my letters though is that they contain things we like to share to each other like project life cards, wash tapes, stickers, sticky notes, etc.. They weren't only letters. We couldn't send through email.
@Fleura (7373)
@toniganzon Sometimes emails just vanish with no trace. Yes it's nice to be able to share those little things!
I've always enjoyed writing letters but I don't really have anyone to write to nowadays. I do write quite long emails to a couple of friends.
@Fleura I used to send postcards too but eventually gave it up. It became a bit of a hassle to find a post office and the correct stamps and it was more 'instant' just to email every night or two.
I have never stopped but ask what made you quit such a wonderful activity for awhile ? For me exceptionally creative looking hand written letters on stationary picked out just for the recipient to say awww she remembered . . . that makes communication more personal, more real, genuine.
@Fleura (7373)
Email was easier, and when I lived abroad it helped me stay in touch with so many friends. But I still like to receive a 'proper' letter so naturally I need to send some too!
@Fleura same here !
@mandala100 (52715)
@Fleura With the advent of email my friend it seems that those were the days when we actually write the real thing: letter and envelope.
@Fleura (7373)
Yes email is much quicker and easier - but it isn't the same!
@mandala100 (52715)
@Fleura You are right on that my friend.
@xFiacre (5795)
@fleura I think I might just write a letter tonight. I haven’t written one in years, and I know that whomever I will write to will probably think I’ve gone mad, but maybe I have, and I don’t care. And I’d hate to see pillar boxes go redundant. And postmen.
@Fleura (7373)
Go for it! I'm sure they'll be pleased to receive it.
@Icydoll (26375)
I miss writing and receive letters...my grandmother only write letters...it's all the emails time going on
@Fleura (7373)
Yes email is so quick and easy, but a 'proper' letter is a special treat.
I write little notes in greeting cards and send those, but I no longer write letters.
@Fleura (7373)
It's nice that you send cards and notes though. Nowadays you can send e-cards, which are also nice, but you can't display them on your mantelpiece in the same way.
@LeaPea2417 (22548)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It has been decades since I wrote my last letter. I do have a box out in my shed with old letters from friends written in College.Recently we were rearranging the shed and I looked through the box and going through some of those letters really brought back memories of my College friends.
@Fleura (7373)
I have a drawer full of letters too, from all sorts of acquaintances! I really must look through it one day and throw them out because I doubt whether my family will want to be left looking through them - or whether I would want them to!
@august18 (4024)
• Tunisia
I have a box full of letters from my students and nieces. I didn't read all of them though but will do ASAP.
Yes, i understand that now a days it seems that we get in the mail are bills and bad things because of e-mail now. i have one person that does not have a computer so we write letters and in the beginning I was very good at writing back. Now, it is hard to sit on the computer and write a letter these days.
@Fleura (7373)
It's no harder than writing an email surely, if you are typing it?
@Fleura Yes it is @Fleura because I use one of my programs and have to keep doing different pages. Typing an e-mail is much easier.
@dodo19 (34032)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I honestly can't remember the last time I wrote a letter. It's been such a long time.
@Fleura (7373)
I don't do it often - but I like to send my friends a little surprise now and then!
@dodo19 (34032)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Fleura Sometimes it's nice to do for friends.
I write letters time by time, not often, but to some special friends I do.
@Fleura (7373)
I think it's a lovely treat to receive a letter!
@Fleura I appreciate to receive a real letter by mail.
I never really stopped writing letters or postcards. It should be something that is a regular activity in primary schools.
@Fleura (7373)
It's such a special thing to do. Electronic communications are quick and convenient, but not quite the same.
@Fleura It is SO much more personal. :)
I write letters to myself. Does that count?
@Fleura (7373)
I have thought about doing that too! It's a good alternative to a diary/journal.
@thelme55 (15295)
I can't remember when was the last time I wrote a letter. Now that you mentioned it, I miss the old excitement of receiving a letter, too.
@Fleura (7373)
It's nice to have something in the letter box that isn't junk mail!
@thelme55 (15295)
@Fleura I know. I can relate to that.
• Northampton, England
no woman can resist a love letter. No woman.
@Fleura (7373)
It would certainly make an impression, even more these days.
I lke writing letters as well to friends and family. Maybe once or twice a month.
@Fleura (7373)
It's great that you still do write quite often.
@salonga (27955)
I still receive letters but not personal letters, only business letters from banks mostly. I could not remember the last time I wrote a letter. Sending a private message via facebook or SMS is more convenient and faster so I do this instead of posting a letter.
@Fleura (7373)
Yes electronic communications are fast and convenient but they soon get lost among all the flood of other emails that is constantly arriving. A 'real' letter is just a bit more special!