Book Titles That Didn't Make It

books
Uzbekistan
Judging from the texts on the account pages a great number of members of this site are freelance writers and/or published authors. Now that self-publishing is possible, everybody has a chance, of course. Yet, a real book of the dead tree variety is still more impressive than one you read on an electronic gadget, isn't it? How can you impress family, friends and acquaintances if there is nothing to show? The crux is, however, that you need a publisher to get there. Unfortunately, this can be an insurmountable obstacle. I'm introducing you to 20 manuscripts which haven't been accepted by any publishing house. I wonder why? 1) For Whom The Smell Rolls - A History Of Deodorants 2) Far From The Madding Kraut - German-free Holiday Destinations 3) About A Buoy - Memories Of A Lifeguard 4) Tender Is The Knight - Revelations Of A Cannibal 5) The Drapes Of Cloth - A Fashion Manual 6) Laugh etc. - The World's Best Jokes 7) The Son Also Rises - A Parent's Diary 8) Of Lice And Men - A Hairdresser's Tale 9) Bride And Prejudice - A PC Wedding Advisor 10) Cents and Sensibility - How To Become A Millionaire 11) 6.50 from Paddington - A List Of Recent Railways Delays 12) Russia Mouse - Computer Accessories From The East 13) The Old Van And The Sea - A Survey Of Illegal Dumping Sites 14) Go Sell It On The Mountain - A Salesman's Manual 15) Wine And Punishment - How To Drink Moderately 16) Remembrance Of Things Fast - Vintage Ferraris 17) Fetch 22 - How To Organise A Soccer Match 18) She Poops To Conquer - The Art Of Flatulence 19) The Jungle Look - A Fashion Preview 20) A Small Clown In Germany - MALUSE's CV The first member who mentions the correct titles and authors will be made an Honorary Bookworm. The prize is a (sorry, only virtual) sheet of parchment and a quill. No googling ! Don't even think of it! If you do it nevertheless, you and your computer will catch a virus.
@OneOfMany (12401)
Actually, with CreateSpace and other options, paperbacks are now print on demand, which makes it easy to put physical books in the hands of others. I haven't gotten to that stage yet, but once I have enough material for an actual book, I will also take advantage of that platform. Paperbacks are making a comeback too. People like owning something they can hold.
@OneOfMany people wouldn’t like print the books if they can just read them for no extra cost as an ebook but I do hope you are right about books making a comeback.
@OneOfMany (12401)
@shaggin Actually, I have the inside scoop. Other authors often say that their ebook sales suffer, but their paperback books do much better. Even book store owners and market surveys report that ebooks aren't as popular as they once were.
@OneOfMany that’s great news to me I was worried all bookstores would wind up shutting down eventually. When I was a kid there were a lot more open then there are now.
@Plethos (11627)
the old van and the sea, can also be a tale about human trafficking along the U.S. and Mexico border.
• Uzbekistan
Indeed. This would make sense.
Haha! But how will they drive it over "The Wall"? :-D.
@Plethos (11627)
@Starmaiden - they can always go under.
I was going to ask if you really want I mention all the original titles. I can just mention some: 1 For Whom the Bell Tolls 19 The Jungle Book ... Now, you should now that book number 2 was not refused, because "The son also rises" was really published and it is by the author Gregory Clark
• Uzbekistan
Thanks. I didn't know that. I've indeed found the title on amazon. The Son Also Rises: Surnames and the History of Social Mobility by Gregory Clark
@MALUSE It is a pretty weird title for a book.
I love holding a book in my hands and reading it. You are right to see your name on a book would be more impressive to friends and family then an ebook. I have s friend who was writing an ebook figuring someone will buy it. To me out of the millions of ebooks it probably isn’t likely to sell unless it’s quite good but all the best for her efforts.
• Uzbekistan
An ebook doesn't have the same appeal as a paper book.
@LeaPea2417 (22428)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@shaggin I have read ebooks but I prefer hard back and paper back books.
Small clown in Germany is this yours.I love the list there.So clever.
• Uzbekistan
--- A Small Town In Germany. A spy thriller by the British author John le Carré
@MALUSE thank you
I know about a dozen of the titles, but I'm not sure of all the authors of them.
• Uzbekistan
That's not a bad result!
@MALUSE Louie started reading Of Mice And Men but got mad when he couldn't find any mice in it
• Uzbekistan
@JolietJake I can understand that the cat felt cheated.
@thelme55 (15160)
I only recognized a few. Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, The Old Man and the Sea,, The Jungle Book and Crime and Punishment
• Uzbekistan
Goody!
@PainsOnSlate (20662)
I listen to my books, Audio books from the library are on while I paint. That list is hilarious, thanks for the laugh.
• Uzbekistan
Thank you for the friendly comment.
eBooks don't stand a chance against actual books... at least in my book! 'For Whom The Smell Rolls' does have a nice ring to it!
• Uzbekistan
Thank you.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Funny titles. I have no clue why a publisher wouldn't accept them, they're marvelous!
• Uzbekistan
Thank you!
@lovebuglena (7559)
• Staten Island, New York
These are the only ones I can think of. For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Grapes of Wrath, The Old Man and the Sea, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Of Mice and Men, Crime and Punishment, The Jungle Book
• Uzbekistan
All correct, but, sadly, not enough. :-(
• Staten Island, New York
@MALUSE I am glad I got these right.
• Dallas, Texas
This post is awesome. I mean, quite the list of morphed titles. It makes me wonder. Really wonder. Hemingway ... not. For sure.
• Uzbekistan
What are you wondering about?
@Tina30219 (36625)
• Onaway, Michigan
Nice titles I could not guess if I tried and I am a big time reader.
• Uzbekistan
Check the comments below. Most real titles have already been found.
@Starmaiden (7636)
I was able to recognize 10 out of twenty. A few of them I have read. 1. For Whom the Bell Tolls 2. Tender is the Night 3. The Grapes of Wrath 4. Of Mice and Men 5. Pride and Prejudice. (Ive read this one) 6. The Old Man and the Sea. (This one too) 7. Remembrance of Things Past 8. Catch 22. (This one too) 9. The Jungle Book. (Saw the movie) 10. A Small Town in Germany I know I didn't win the prize, but maybe a consolation? :-)
• Uzbekistan
Well done! I wrote an elaborate comment for you but it disappeared. (?) Up to now, you're in the lead.
@Telynor (1353)
scary how many of the titles I recognise and have read.
There are some clever titles here but I don't think I'd be buying any of them.
# 4 is just funny. My brain is not functioning at all today so I wont make a fool of myself.