“Are there any family rules at your home?”

In my family, there is a strict rule in having household chores. In fact, it was imposed by my parents since we were young. The household chores need to be checked on a whiteboard that was plastered on the kitchen's wall. It is simple to follow by taking turns doing them on a daily basis. Well, sometimes the household chores can be changed for certain circumstances. I personally think that it is a good way to keep the house tidy and clean. If not, then my mother will freak out and continued to nag the family members all day long. “Do you have house rules?” “What do you think about this concern?” Image Credit: pixabay.com
There is only 1 main rule here...What Scar wants, Scar gets...and RIGHT MEOW!!!
Very similar to my household rules, Onyc is the ruler of the house and the entertainment director, He decides what we will do for the day, what we will watch on TV! We have a rule here Onyx knows best!
@vandana7 (63594)
Ha ha...finally somebody dominates you...LOL
@JolietJake I can't wait for my Shadow rules the house. Scar seems so strong to rule your world.
@AKRao24 (14604)
We have many unsaid rules in Indian families which have been coming from several generations to pass on to next! Thanks @Shavkat !
@Icydoll (14440)
Yeah we have many unsaid rules dear friend
@AKRao24 (14604)
@Icydoll , Thank you dear! How are you , so late today? had your dinner what was in it?
@Icydoll (14440)
@AKRao24 I'm fine dear friend..I was bit busy today.howz your day ? I had egg rice for dinner and how about you?.
@Courage7 (5699)
As a rule no shoes in the house.
@Icydoll (14440)
Same rule in my house too courage
@Courage7 (5699)
@Courage7 We also have the same thing. All the shoes should be removed before entering the house.
@ammyluv (625)
• Abuja, Nigeria
Yes! When we were all still together in the house 1. No late nights 2. Wash your dishes immediately after eating No 2 can be so annoying then But these rules has really helped me in life
@ammyluv I think that is also a good way to discipline the members of the family. I must admit I wash my dishes when eating or staying in another household residents.
@vandana7 (63594)
No...my father is terrible...he keeps the house very dirty, and I am left nursing my BP so I avoid shouting. But I do burn inside..
@AKRao24 (14604)
No problem dear @vandana7, they are kids now and that is their privilege!
@vandana7 I can imagine your reaction to this. Sometimes they tend to be childish.
@vandana7 (63594)
@AKRao24 Yeah at 84 ..it is terrible...
Well, it is just my husband and myself since our son has his own home now. I do certain jobs in the house and my husband does others. That works for us.
I think it is nice to share tasks at home. Most of the time, my siblings and I are the ones doing the parents' task. My father passed away three years ago. My mother needs to rest in between. We helped her do whatever she desires in the house.
@Shavkat So good to hear that you and your siblings help your mother. What wonderful children your mother has.
@Corbin5 Personally speaking, we are lucky to have her and raised us as best she could. Since we are grown-ups, it is about time to give back all her sacrifices to us.
@JustBhem (31976)
• Davao, Philippines
When I get back here to my parent's house. I was the one who set the rules and wrote it in a cartolina - the rules are who will wash the dishes on Monday until Sunday.
I am sure they were surprised when you had these rules in the house. They need to adjust for the sudden changes in your house. But then, it is best to make things in order.
@JustBhem (31976)
• Davao, Philippines
@Shavkat Well, since I am the only daughter mostly they are the one who do chores, even the cooking.
@JustBhem In my house, they don't want me to cook.lol I am not going to elaborate it.
@FourWalls (13294)
I live by myself, so I haven't set any concrete rules for myself. If I do, I'll break 'em if I want!
I am jealous.lol You can set rules for yourself and bend them anytime you want.
@FourWalls (13294)
@Shavkat -- age has its privileges!
@FourWalls I can agree with that. When I was so lazy, the younger sibling will do it. It is another way around the situation. I am bad in that situation.
Family rules? We are only my husband and I. I take care of the house.
There is nothing to worry about setting rules for others. I would be happy if I can have my own place and set rules for myself.
@Shavkat My husband and I have no rules. I take care of the house and he takes care of professional matters.
@Starmaiden (4951)
• Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I live alone and all my children are grown and out of the nest. I have no rules to follow in my house. Things get done when I feel like doing them. :-)
By just reading it, I felt so jealous. I wanted to be in such situation. I had experienced it when working in another city before. I can decide when to do something in the house.
@ridingbet (49743)
our house is laden with posters of reminders, even in our comfort room.
I think that is a good idea. It will be guided by anyone who will stay in your house. I hope your sister will not whine about it.
@ridingbet (49743)
@Shavkat the reminders were for our house helper before, but now, my sister maintained it. it was manang who printed those reminders
@ridingbet Oh, I see, Where is manang now?
@rheicel (7331)
It's actually good to set some rules in the house so everybody would have the sense of responsibility.
I agree. It is the training ground for the children to be responsible and independent in the future.
@rheicel (7331)
@Shavkat Yes, it's best to train children at the very young age so they wouldn't be struggling growing up.
@rheicel I totally agree with you. Hopefully, the modern kiddies will be such kids like us during the old days and be a better person.
@jobelbojel (6899)
Rule is we need to be awake early in the morning! But not anymore since I don't live with my father.
I joined you with that. We need to wake up early on weekend to wash the clothes. When I was in high school, I am number one complainer in the house.
@Shavkat if we don't get up early, my father will go to the room and drag the mat.
@jobelbojel My late father is like a broadcaster in the morning. We all have the sermons early in the morning.
@db20747 (7482)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
That's a very good system. if u fall behind things can get very ugly!! Right now I trying to catch up and start spring cleaning. So much to catch up on?!!
I hope there is someone who can help you out, my friend. It will be a general cleaning.
@db20747 (7482)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@Shavkat no one to help!!! It's bad!!! Really baaaaaad!!!!
@db20747 I am sorry to hear that. We can do it one step at a time.
@mom210 (6696)
• Atlanta, Georgia
The kids have their reguar household chores tht have to be done before fun time. They are always the same.
It is also similar to us during our primary or high school days. In addition, we need to finish our homework before playing outside.
@mom210 (6696)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Shavkat yes that is a good rule, homework first beofre fun too.
@mom210 Unfortunately, some young generations are hard to have such discipline. They are so addicted to modern gadgets nowadays.
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
There is no written rules in my home , but there are chores for every person.
It is nice that there are some designated chores. A family can work and live happily together.
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
@Shavkat Yes ' together we can'
My mom want's me to help with cleaning but i don't like doing any cleaning in house lol
I hope she will not freak out. Are you the youngest in the family?
@Shavkat Yeaah
@augusta123 (5379)
No standing rule for now
That's good to hear. There are no rules to follow.
@Shavkat not at all
@patgalca (14301)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Now that I think about it, I really didn't have any chores growing up. I have no idea, however, whether there were any before me since my siblings are closer and a lot older than me. Maybe when there were 5 kids in the house there were chores but I think we just had to keep our rooms clean. As for my kids, my husband would never let them do anything even when I insisted. He would just say it was easier for him to do it. Which is weird because when he was growing up his sisters did the household chores while the boys did the outside chores. As my kids got older he still wouldn't let them even mow the lawn... until he was away for an extended period of time and knew someone had to do it. I think it's because of his lack of discipline that my children don't do much around the house.... they're 21 and almost 25.
It seems that your husband doesn't want to let his children experience the difficult tasks. Personally, I think he really loves your children and does so-called father's duty in the house. There are some fathers like him and wanted to do for his family. My late father is also the same thing. But, my mom needs to intervene and let us do it for the sake of being independent in the future. She wants us to be responsible whenever we are not at home or staying in another house.
@patgalca (14301)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Shavkat Well, I am happy to say my younger daughter is quite capable of running a household as she has been away at university for 4 years sharing a house with 4 other young ladies. She helps out when she is at home. My older daughter, not so much.
@patgalca It is nice that you can rely on your daughter. In my family, my youngest brother is so lazy and needs to push in doing household chores.
@iridion9 (6916)
Wow, that's nice a whiteboard with chores list is a nice way and fair way for the family members.
I think it is better to like this. There is no need to put fingers to each other if doing household chores. The old-fashioned way still being practiced.
@iridion9 (6916)
@Shavkat Can you tell me the complete details how the WHITE BOARD works for chores?