Time flies

@lynnief (1246)
Australia
I have a cartoon on my screensaver that says, "How did I get to be this darned old? I'm sure it was just last week I finished high school." That sentiment was stirred up again for me yesterday, when my elder son turned 49. How did that happen? When did that happen? And where was I when it was happening? I remember when I was a kid, time seemed to go so ssssllllooooowwwwllllyy. Now it's blink twice and the year's gone. The theory used to be that, as we get older a year becomes an increasingly smaller part of our total life. So, when we are 5, a year is one fifth of our life, but when we are 50 a year is only a fiftieth of our life. And, of course, a fiftieth goes much quicker than a fifth. That theory still makes some sense, but these days I hear even young people saying that time is going very quickly. I suspect something else comes in to play - the fact that we are often living more in the future than we are in the present. Our diaries are full for the next year, and whilst we are just coming up to Easter some are already saying it's only 40 weeks to Christmas. How about you? Do you think time is going faster than ever? What do you think are the causes?
@RodrickH (13635)
That;s true, I think time should fly faster so that i can have a job and earn money, now I have my full time job but I miss the school days, I believe you never miss the water until its gone
@lynnief (1246)
That's very true. It's important for us to learn to appreciate what we have while we have it.
I think i like your theory about a day being a smaller part of the grand scheme. That makes a lot of sense!
I do think that time flies so fast. Thus, I need to work hard to reach my personal goals this year.
@Mavic123456 (16290)
• Thailand
your son is 49 so that makes you ?? already... on the lighter note, aren't you glad that you are still here celebrating your son's 49th bday and you will also witness when he turned as a golden boy next year?
@lynnief (1246)
I'm 67, will be 68 later this year. At least, that's what the calendar says. Some days I feel 29, others I feel 99.
@Mavic123456 (16290)
• Thailand
@lynnief not bad... and still you can write in coherence and perfectly. good for you. aren't you happy about that. never mind about the time.. fly as fast as it can important thing is you can keep up with the speed still.
@lynnief (1246)
@Mavic123456 Hehehe 67 isn't exactly decrepit, you know.
Maybe it is because we appreciate "time" more than we did when we were young.
@lynnief (1246)
That's a thought.
I usually just put it down to ageing and time seeming to fly along. You become aware that your time on this earth is limited and getting less all the time. I am much, much too old to die young - or even middle-aged.
Time flies by faster the older you get. Painful because you know your life has only so many grains left in the looking glass.