Open and enter if I dare

@sallypup (26293)
Moses Lake, Washington
Simple photo of a door and a doorknob and its plate. That door and its doorknob is one hundred and eighteen years old. The official appraisal went through today. Another hoop jumped through as we seek to enter this house. Our old age house- at least the house will be older than us! Can I live up to this place? The fact that it has been in one family its entire life amazes me. I hope to some day find out more about it from the seller. For now I keep wanting to call this house Grace. I don't know why but I like to give a house a name. A house has a presence to it; a feeling. This one appeared to be calm and stately when I stepped in. So on we go. I continue to look around, to seek things that I do not have to have. Things that will not move with us when we do shut the door on our present life in just over three years.
Imagine that! I've never been in a house that old. Grace sounds very fitting.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN I've stayed in some fancier ones when I've been out and about, doing the bed and breakfast thing. This house is not fancy but its substantial.
@sallypup Substantial is good. You can make it as fancy as you want.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN I took photos of hinges! Look at that cool- to me, anyway, hinge and door wood. Just reeks of history.
@alberello75 (16463)
• Genova, Italy
That handle is 112 years old? Well, I would have judged it, definitely more modern.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@alberello75 I can't prove it but I think that knob is that old. Same with that wooden door.
@alberello75 (16463)
• Genova, Italy
@sallypup But do you know more or less, to date the year (or the century) of the construction of your house?
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@alberello75 The house was built in 1900 is what I have been told.
I love all the wood in that house. How interesting the door and knob are so old.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Shaggin Here's something else to love. The old pie safe! Its like a pantry. Small but looks original to me.
@sallypup yes back then things were built in like that. Looks original to me as well.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@shaggin When I found that pie safe, it felt like I had stepped into a museum. I'm glad they did not paint that or try to pretty it up.
Will the house stay empty for that three years? Why can't you move before then?
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv My hubby will not retire for just over three years. Until then we hope to find a sweet, well behaved senior to rent it.
@sallypup That would be a good solution.
@sallypup Just make sure that they don't have a thing for paint brushes! It would be a crime for someone to come in and decide to "decorate" Grace. Oh, about your naming Grace, there are areas of the country where it was common place to name the houses. Grace is such an elegant name for such an elegant house!
That's really an authentic doorknob. I am sure it nice to go around the house and discover something more.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Shavkat One closet in particular was fun to discover cause it goes under the stairs and is like a tunnel.
@sallypup I am jealous. I do like exploring old things, especially within the premises of the old house.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Shavkat What are buildings like in your country?
• Portland, Connecticut
I have never named a home, only a car. Our family home in Canada where my mother was born is almost 200 years old and the stories it could tell.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr Your family home must be beautiful.
• Portland, Connecticut
@sallypup Its a pretty typical Canadian farmhouse but snug and homey.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr I love, love, love it. Kind of reminds me of the one that I am buying. Love that open porch.
• Eugene, Oregon
The fact that it has been in one family all that time is really something!
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic The real estate guy and the mortgage guy both said that this was a rare case. It looks like it was a farm house to start. The out buildings sure look like something from a farm.
You will have such a great time in that house. I bet it really does have a lot of stories to tell.
@sallypup (26293)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 The area, like the old downtown, is about a mile away so its pretty walkable, too.