After dark .. is it safe to walk alone where you are?

@sprite1950 (14062)
Corsham, England
Last night the clocks changed in the UK and although many people do not like daylight saving I love the light nights, being able to go out later and not have to worry about being attacked in the dark. It's not too bad where I live compared to somewhere like New York where I believe in some areas it isn't even safe in the daytime. I still don't like going out alone after dark as people do get attacked, raped and murdered so I try to make sure I always have someone with me. Is it safe where you are? Image from Pixabay
@bagarad (12164)
• Paso Robles, California
Although I live in a semi-rural area of California, there are still many people here who don't respect our laws. I no longer shop after dark, even when I drive. I will walk in our small downtown area on nights when events are going on, but I prefer to get a parking place near the event, so I come early if it will be dark when I leave. When events are across from the park, there are enough good people around to keep things pretty safe, and the police station is only three blocks away.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Even so it sounds a little risky @bagarad. I wouldn't be afraid to go out in the car after dark (although I don't drive in the dark now) but recently we have been warned about a scam where someone has left a baby in a car seat on the side of the road. When people get out to investigate they have been attacked. We have had police warnings not to get out of the car if we see something like this,
@bagarad (12164)
• Paso Robles, California
@sprite1950 What a shame so many people want to do others harm these days. It was never so when I was growing up.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@bagarad Yes the crime rate has certainly escalated everywhere over the years.
@louievill (18671)
I live in a private subdivision where we have our own private security guards manning the gates, checking cars that do not have our sticker plus a roving unit, we also have unarmed police called " tanods" plus the regular armed pnp and fire station. It is very very safe not unless you go out of the perimeters. We can party all night in our commercial center inside the subdivision.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
That sounds like a brilliant idea. More countries should adopt it
@louievill (18671)
@sprite1950 I feel so blessed living in a rather dangerous country
@Jessabuma (28567)
• Baguio, Philippines
Here in Baguio, I can't guarantee that it is safe to go out at night because every where there are bad people who are doing bad things but at least it is not that bad compared to some places like Iraq.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Yes, I can't imagine what horrors those people have to face every day.
@louievill (18671)
Your city was very safe before, we use to go up there every summer to have a holiday vacation, there were fewer people back then.
@Jessabuma (28567)
• Baguio, Philippines
@louievill yes but now there are many tourists who often visit here
I don't think they are safe places, that is why we should never let our guard down. Always go home early if we don't have anything to do outside specially if we don't have company going home. It is important to walk with someone when you are going home late.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
I used to tell my daughter that but she didn't always listen. Luckily she is with her partner now and he keeps her safe.
@sprite1950 let just keep on praying for our safety and always be on guard. God bless you... Have you ever write in bubblews? I think the "sprite" username that you have there is familiar... It always write something about supernatural back then... hehehe...
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@luisadannointed Yes I was there with that name but I left before it closed I worked on other sites too so you may have seen me on other forums.
@rheicel (7331)
I also don't like walking in the dark area it's not safe because I might get robbed. Daylight saving is not yet implemented here.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
When is your daylight saving? It was nice last night as I could walk my dog in daylight.
@rheicel (7331)
@sprite1950 There's no daylight saving here though I remember an event for Earth day that they did daylight saving after that it has now forgotten.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@rheicel Oh yes I'm sorry I misread your last post. Not everyone likes daylight saving. It seems to upset their sleeping pattern although I don't notice it.
@ridingbet (53165)
our city is becoming more progressive now, and as such, there are many dangers concealed. so, i don't think i can walk alone in a dark alley anymore.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
It's very sad as when I was younger I could walk quite safely around my home town alone but I wouldn't do it now as everything has changed .
@ridingbet (53165)
@sprite1950 that is true. when the place gets improvement, so is the social status of the people that crimes can be committed anytime of the day, even in broad daylight
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@ridingbet We don't seem to have many crimes committed in daylight here but I'm sure it must happen in certain areas.
@Essjayd (1620)
As cities go ours isn't too bad. There are areas I would avoid late at night but I feel safe enough in the centre and our area to walk alone at night! I've been unlucky twice and been attacked but not going out is like letting these people rule your life!
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@Essjayd How frightening for you, I hope you weren't hurt. I have never been attacked but someone tried to rob my sister; she whacked him round the face and he ran off clutching his jaw! You're right, never going out lets them win but I always take either a friend or my dog after dark.
@Essjayd (1620)
@sprite1950 Well done to your sister!!! Thankfully one of mine was so drunk he went down with a knee in the groin The other was scary as he attacked me in the entrance of our building! I managed to fight him off but I was terrified he'd come back as it was in the local news the next day! Luckily 3 other girls came forward who had been followed by him and the police caught him a week later! It did make me nervous but I've done a lot of self defence/ martial arts classes which definitely paid off! I think it took me a month of sitting home after dark to decide I wasn't giving in to fear!
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@Essjayd I can understand how terrifying that must have been. I hope he was prosecuted. I have often thought about what I would do if the worst should happen and I think a knee in the groin is a good idea! Take care of yourself as there are some nasty people out there.
In big cities, it is quite dangerous in m country. But then, it is better to walk with street lights.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Yes it makes sense to walk where it is lit up.
@sprite1950 Actually, I am more alert in the capital of my country. It is quite different living in this place.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@Shavkat Capital cities are usually more dangerous.
@nomus24g (22979)
my city is over crowded n never sleeps...so one can walk freely and can witness many such as well :)
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
I would hate that. In my town it is pretty safe in the daytime and even at night it isn't too risky as long as you don't go off alone.
@nomus24g (22979)
@sprite1950 you would hate what?
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@nomus24g That crime was so common that it could be witnessed by passersby. We don't get that here.
As I had to move at 5:30 to go to Italy this morning I hated the change of time. Yes, here it is safe to walk alone in the evening, but I prefer to stay at home when it is dark, no matter if morning or evening.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Yes I tend to hibernate in the winter and it's been so cold here this year,. Today is a lovely spring day but the forecast is snow in some parts of the country for next weekend and bitter cold for the rest of us.
@sprite1950 This morning it was not very cold, I think it was the first non cold morning of Spring.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@LadyDuck l always feel really positive when l can feel the nice weather coming on
@dodo19 (32885)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's pretty safe around here. I would feel pretty safe walking after dark. Although it's not something I really do, I would feel safe doing it.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
I think there is always more of a risk for women. I am more afraid than I was when I was younger. I didn't think about the danger so much then.
@dodo19 (32885)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@sprite1950 Things do change over time. We realize things more as we get older.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@dodo19 I thought I was invincible when I was younger and that bad things only happened to other people. I took some risks but luckily I survived. I would hate my daughter to do some of the things I did.
I would have said 'yes' except we just had someone sentenced to 60 years for the rape and murder of an 8 year old girl here back in November 2016
The evening of November 23rd, 2016 (the day before Thanksgiving) the small town I live in was shocked by the abduction and murder of 8 year old Sabrina...
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@JolietJake I couldn't bring that up but I can see enough to know what happened. It looks like he will die in prison and good job too as he should never be released. We have similar cases over here.
@sprite1950 That's weird because it is a myLot discussion... Edit...I changed the title, that's what happened.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@JolietJake I get an "Ooops the page you requested cannot be found" and then it shows me other MyLot discussions.
@Shivram59 (3405)
@sprite1950 Yes,I'm from a town that is very peaceful.I can go anywhere I like after the sunset.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
That's good. It's nice that you can go anywhere and not have to worry about being attacked.
@Shivram59 (3405)
@sprite1950 But one of my friends is not as fortunate.He lives in a nearby town which is known for criminal activities.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@Shivram59 I think in most places there are rough areas which are more likely to attract criminals.
@Raj7779 (2933)
• Ahmednagar, India
I am I n safe area you can go out anytime and anywhere. Some areas are crowed even in night also.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
It is pretty safe for men here but not always for women but I think that is the same anywhere. It's nice that your home town is safe.
@Raj7779 (2933)
• Ahmednagar, India
@sprite1950 my town is also safe for the women also.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@Raj7779 It sound ideal.
@EddieHands (37845)
well it is not safe here.. because of the candy man is killing people at night.. Blessings
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
I found the Candy man dangerously attractive .. I said his name 3 times but nothing happened so I guess he didn't feel the same
@EddieHands (37845)
@sprite1950 lol well you have to say his name 5 times .. I'm hungry
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@EddieHands ok I'll try that
• Northampton, England
You maybe attacked by your white horse but thats about it in Corsham
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
You're a little bit out there, it's Westbury White horse or Cherill but both close to where I live. I don't know why MyLot has placed me in Corsham as I live in Chippenham 4 miles away.
• Northampton, England
@sprite1950 maybe your lover is in Corsham and your phone is pinging thee ;-)
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@thedevilinme Oh yes, that must be it
@bunnybon7 (36529)
• Holiday, Florida
i am not sure as i have never been out here at night walking.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@bunnybon7 I see you live in Florida. I know that Orlando is not safe as I had some friends that visited DisneyWorld and they were advised to take a cab at all times even in the day.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@bunnybon7 Take care
@anikoonline (3174)
• Hungary
Mostly it is safe here. But we have districts and streets that are very dangerous. I try to avoid them even in the daytime.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Is it safer for men than women or are they both equally at risk?
• Hungary
@sprite1950 Of course, it is safer for men. I think women can become a target easier (at least here).
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@anikoonline Probably the same in most places. We are more of a target.
New York is actually one of the safer major cities per population. I would not walk alone here after dark but not afraid of human predators..Animal predators could be an issue, I would just rather not do it.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
@snowy22315 some friends of mine visited Disneyworld, Florida, at the end of November last year but they said it wasn't safe to walk about Orlando even in the day. They were advised to take cabs everywhere.
@sprite1950 I wouldn't know. I don't walk in Orlando lol..maybe the Floridians could tell you better.
• New Baltimore, Michigan
Yep, pretty safe here. It's all woodsy and out in the middle of nowhere. I'd have a better chance of being attacked by Big Foot than an actual murderer.
@sprite1950 (14062)
• Corsham, England
Ooh sounds a bit scary though. I think I might be a bit nervous of being out in the middle of nowhere,