Dead Lizards and Petrified Gravy

Image courtesy of Pixabay.
@akalinus (21396)
I saw a rock on the sidewalk in front of my house. I picked it up and saw several seashell fossils and some wormholes. Wow, fossils in my yard! That got me thinking about the fossils at the church I clean every week. I often encounter dead lizards, toads, and frogs and sometimes it is a tiny bird. They get into the church through open doors and die because that is not their environment. I spend time chasing the living ones and put them outside. Today, they had a dinner there and there was plenty of gravy. Next week, I will be scraping little rivers of petrified gravy off of surfaces. There will be petrified pebbles of cake. Do you have any fossils where you live? What are they?
@crossbones27 (21403)
• Redlands, California
I am sure we do, but I have never been really good at telling which ones are fossils and which ones are just rocks, unless there is a definite small animal or bug actually stuck in them.
@akalinus (21396)
I know what the seashell ones look like. In NY state, we found a trilobite fossil on a road through the woods. One of the kids took it to school and we never saw it again. Even experts have trouble identifying some things. I have a bit of amber with part of a bug in it. Not sure which part.
• Redlands, California
@akalinus Yeah they say amber is great at making fossils. Hey maybe that is what I will do when I die, put me in a big block of amber. Then in a million years people can walk by and go look at that old fossil.
@akalinus (21396)
@crossbones27 Some kids think their teachers in high school are fossils. It would be simpler to become a teacher and be a living fossil. I don't know about that amber thing. It is pretty radical. And class, here we have a most unusual piece of amber...
@iridion9 (10262)
Mine is petrified mylot earnings lol
@akalinus (21396)
That is pretty funny. The most mysterious find of the day.
@iridion9 (10262)
@akalinus I'm glad you laugh at my joke. I rarely make funny jokes. lol
@akalinus (21396)
@iridion9 I laugh when I read something funny. You made a funny.
That sounds SO interesting. You see there are no fossils in the area that we live in, nor the area that we used to live in either. So, to me, your discussion sounds so intriguing. And of course I like gravy.
@akalinus (21396)
Did you search whether there are fossils there? I bet there are whether or not they have been discovered. When I was a kid, our family used to camp and fish at Elephant Butte, a damn in New Mexico. A couple of years ago, I heard that they found dinosaur bones there. We camped on top of bones and did not know it. I like gravy, too.
@akalinus Yes, I've searched. There are a couple of places within a few hours of here, but none documented here. There are a lot of shipwrecks though. Not exactly fossils as one would usually think of, but similar. The Great Lakes have a lot of shipwrecks in them.
@akalinus (21396)
@Juliaacv Yes, in Lake Superior, especially. Which lake are you near? Did you ever want to go hunting for sunken treasure?
Why would there be petrified gravy? Don't the people do a proper clean up after a dinner like that? It doesn't sound like a good place to worship.
@akalinus (21396)
It is in the kitchen. We don't eat in the sanctuary. Gravy is liquid and liquid always follows the easiest path. Sometimes gravy escapes and creates a miniature river.
@akalinus Still a good mop up would take care of the floor and any mess created by the gravy.
@akalinus (21396)
@just4him I mop once a week. They clean up after a dinner but it is easy to miss something.
• Dallas, Texas
A nearby creek has all kinds of fossils underneath rocks where the rain water runs over from the streets and goes for over 5 miles, thus, is called Five Mile Creek. LOL.
@akalinus (21396)
Did you ever hunt for them? Any fossils found in Florida belong to the state. I have to send a picture of mine to Gainesville. When I was a kid, we found arrowheads and various fossils, even petrified wood. I don't know where any of it is today. Now everything is illegal but no one cared back then.
• Uzbekistan
I live in a part of Germany which is full of fossils. They are ~180 millions of years old. I've found some petrified snail shells myself.
Museum am Löwentor und Schloss Rosenstein Click here to visit the online database for type and figured specimens The oldest parts of the collection date back to the end of the16th century. They were incorporated in the art collection of the duke of Wurttem
@akalinus (21396)
Thank you for posting this interesting article. When I have time, I will read all of it.
Your life is filled with fossils!! In the parks here, one has to steer clear of the goose-droppings that are almost fossilized, but not quite.
@akalinus (21396)
Goose dropping fossils? Wow! I saw a lot of fossils when I was a kid. I was trying to take a photo of the rock I found and it did not come out well.
Yes, very small shells, pretty weird as we live up in the hills. They come out in my garden when it rains, Small elongated brown shells.