Henbit is in Bloom and Providing Free Food for You

A Pot of Henbit, an Edible Weed
@bagarad (12764)
Paso Robles, California
I promised I would share photos of some of the weeds I eat from my yard. This is henbit. It springs up in early spring or after the rains. I think it's kind of pretty. I toss it in salads or soups. I suppose you could use it like sprouts in sandwiches, as well. It doesn't stay in season very long, so I make the most of it while it's here. It has a mild flavor. Be sure to wash it well, and don't use it if it's been near an area that was sprayed with pesticides. Have you ever eaten henbit? Have you ever seen it on your property? Have you ever tried any wild foods?
Is this edible? We call it "falsa ortica" (fake nettle) here. It is an invasive plant, it last for several weeks here.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I eat it. It doesn't sting like nettle. It's just a mild green with pretty flowers. Those broader leaves in the pot aren't part of it. It is invasive, but it doesn't last after it stops raining and the ground is dry.
@bagarad In our climate it does not stop growing, during all Spring and in Autumn the fields are covered with those little flowers.
@bagarad I translated liberally from Italian, we call it "falsa ortica" and it is the same plant, botanical name "Lamium purpureum".
@tony1r (305)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Haven tried it, is it available everywhere?
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I don't know. I haven't been everywhere to see.
@tony1r (305)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@bagarad will try it if i come across some
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@tony1r It never hurts to try it to see if you like it. Just don't try anything unless you are sure what it is and that it's safe to eat.
I do not know for sure if that grows in my yard but I think it does look familiar. I am not very open to trying new things that grow out there though lol
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
To each her own.
@franxav (5657)
I am not sure if it grows in our part of the world (South Bengal, India), where the weather is warm for a long time of the year. It may be found in the cooler north. I'd have loved to eat it in my salad or soup.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm not sure where else it grows. But I enjoy eating it.
@fei1125 (611)
• Chengde, China
Finally ,I got you. It looks strange, I haven't see this before. How does it taste? like coriander?
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I honestly don't remember, since I never eat it by itself. I just tasted it raw, and it's a bit like parsley, but not quite. It's not as strong.
@fei1125 (611)
• Chengde, China
@bagarad So, I can image it. It's cool, I think we can share something we haven't known before, something is normal to others.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@fei1125 That's one reason I like this site. We can learn about how ordinary people in other parts of the world live their daily lives and see things every day we may never have seen.
I don't recall seeing that plant. It looks pretty. No, I've never picked the weeds, even the dandelions to eat, though I know they're supposed to be good and good for you.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
Some taste good, some not so good. But I don't like all the different greens they sell in the produce section, either.
@bagarad I eat very few greens.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@just4him That's too bad. They are very good for you.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
It's my first time hearing that name. I never tried it yet.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I had seen it growing in my yard for years before I know I could eat it.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
@bagarad it can be eat as viand? How do you cook it?
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@Jessabuma You can cut it in pieces and add it to vegetable soup, a salad, or a stir fry dish. I leave the stems out of the salads. They are better when cooked. The flavor is very mild. My book says it can be boiled alone or with other vegetables.
@epiffanie (10404)
I think I have seen that weed around here but I didn’t they can be eaten... I would love to try eating some of the wild plants that the Aboriginals here in Australia called “bush tuckers”... In the Philippines, we have wild plants that people eat.. I hope one day I could try them too..
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
It's amazing how many flowers are edible, too. I always thought an edible garden was hard to put in one's front yard, but then I found I could plant a lot of edible flowers.
@epiffanie (10404)
@bagarad Yes! . Isn't Mother Nature truly amazing! ..
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@epiffanie Absolutely. That's why my hobby is studying, photographing, and writing about nature.
@TheSojourner (17304)
It almost reminds me of a flat-leaf Italian parsley
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
The parsley isn't tiered like this plant. The flavor is also more mild than a parsley. I'm not sure how to describe the flavor, since I normally mix it with other things in soup or salad.
@bagarad I think it would be fun going out foraging with you. I would learn a lot!
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@CoralLevang I don't go much farther than my own property, since I don't know whether things I would find elsewhere may have been sprayed. Let's just go for a walk and see what we will see.
Here henbit is a common weed.However I haven't eaten it,we use it as a herbal medicine that treat traumatic injury.At the moment,we eat edible wild herb called Indian kalimeris herb.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Kalimeris indica Inflorescence of Kalimeris indica Scientific classification Kingdom: Plantae (unranked): Angiosperms (unranked): Eudicots (unranked): Asterids Order: Asterales Family: Aster
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
That's interesting. I don't remember seeing that growing wild here. It looks pretty enough to plant in a flower garden.
@bagarad Indian kalimeris herb thrives in low banks between fields,they belong to the composite family.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
@changjiangzhibin89 That's why it's pretty.
@Hate2Iron (8021)
It looks vaguely familiar but I don't think that I have ever eaten it... However, now that I know, I will keep an eye out for it!
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I was really surprised when I found out that weeds I'd been pulling and mulching every year could be used like spinach or salad greens.
@Hate2Iron (8021)
@bagarad I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for the plant! :)
Not a thing that I would like to try at all.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
That is, of course, your choice. I will experiment as long as I know a plant is supposed to be good for food. If I'm not sure something is safe, I don't try it. The plants I will share here I've actually found in recipe books for wild plants.
This herb is new to me.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
It may not grow where you are. It only grows here in the late winter or early spring after the first rains.
Very interesting about this and, I will have to look.
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I see mine is already past its prime. I guess the soil in my lawn isn't good enough to support it. It grew much taller in my pots last year.
@Icydoll (24740)
Haven't tried it ...how does it tastes?
@bagarad (12764)
• Paso Robles, California
I don't remember except that it's a mild taste that blends well with other things. It's pleasant. it's not bitter like a dandelion.