Woe Was Me!!

In grades 6, 7, and 8, we brought our lunches to school in lunch sacks made of brown paper. Now, my mother always wrapped the sandwich she made for my lunch in aluminum foil. Being the only kid at our lunch table who had a sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil just would not do. The other kids had their sandwiches wrapped in wax paper which made my aluminum-foil-wrapped sandwich stand out, in my opinion. I wanted my sandwich wrapped in wax paper too!! I did not want to be the odd-sandwich-out kid! Despite my protests, Mom insisted on using aluminum foil to wrap my sandwich. I think she thought aluminum foil kept the sandwich fresh for longer. I am sure I suffered serious psychological damage due to my being the only kid with a sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil for three years in a row. Poor, pitiful me.
In summer my mother would rinse big grapevine leaves in water, shake them then wrap them around my sandwiches. It kept the bread fresher. I can't remember worrying about being the odd sandwich-kid out.
It is funny how such a little thing could make a kid feel different. Those grape leaves seemed like the perfect way to keep a sandwich fresh.
@Fleura (7194)
That's a great idea! Must try that when our new grapevine gets a bit bigger. True biodegradable packaging!
@Fleura They just kept the bread a bit less dry.
@xFiacre (4829)
@corbin5 Ah, so I’m not the only weirdo. I hated my lunch being in any way different to that of the other kids.
Now that is comforting to know. To be bothered by such a minor thing seems silly now, but for kids, being different is hard to endure.
@xFiacre (4829)
@Corbin5 Such things left me feeling utterly humiliated.
@xFiacre Me too. I remember in 6th grade, all the girls had a bra, but not me. Mom was right when she said I did not need one at all. My little sister came downstairs and told my mother why I was crying. My mother gave me some money, and I walked to the store and the saleslady picked one out for me, far too big for someone who did not need one, but I had one!!! I was just like the other girls.
your lucky to have a sandwhich did not
You are so right, my friend. Many families struggles and did not have enough food.
At that age, no one wants to be different. These day you would sue your mom and hire a life coach to get you back on track lol
Yes, back in the day we did not want to be different in any way, shape or form from our peers. I remember when I was teaching, I asked one of my 8th-grade boys to stop leaning back on his chair due to the fact that he may fall backward and hurt himself. He replied, "That's OK. If I fall over and get hurt, my parents will just sue the school." The "snowflake" mentality is fostered by parents. Very sad.
• Uzbekistan
@Corbin5 I often said to my fellow teachers that I'd prefer to teach orphans. The parents can be worse than the children.
@MALUSE The parents in Burr Ridge, Illinois, a suburb in which only the very rich and famous could live, ran our school. The administration always bent over backwards to please the parents. I would have preferred to teach orphans too.
You should have felt elite. Foil is more expensive!
That is what my husband said!
@Corbin5 those little differences mattered so so much. Lol
@crossbones27 (20780)
• Redlands, California
Most of my friends used plastic baggies. I have never seen anyone use wax paper as far as school. That is some sophistication. How do you do it now? We still do plastic freezer baggies with the Ziploc.
• San Jose, California
It gets folded over the sandwiches, just like how they do it at McDonald's and Burger King.
• Redlands, California
@spiderdust Oh yeah it is done at restaurants all the time. Just never seen kids bring it to school that way, unless was a sandwich that did come from a restaurant.
• San Jose, California
@crossbones27 Yeah, the advent of sandwich bags did away with that a bit. Some people still do it though.
I honestly don't remember how my sandwiches were wrapped. I was more interested in what was inside whatever wrapping was used. lol
It is funny that such a tiny difference would bother a junior high student, but kids at that age were not into being different. We really did seem to want to conform a bit more than kids do today.
@Corbin5 That's so true.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Corbin5 Heh. Kids today what to express their individuality. Just like everyone else.
From six years old until I was eight the school building was two minutes walk from our home.
That was so convenient. Our school was just a walk across the park up to 5th grade, then we had to walk a very long way to the junior high.
@Kandae 11 (32401) My mom used to work at the diner just below my school. My brother and I would go there for lunch and have free burgers and fries. :-)
@LilyBeBack (2016)
My mam took to giving me pasta instead of a sandwich and that was too much for even the dinner ladies to handle Growing up on a council estate it's hilarious what little quirks are enough to make others think of you as "posh"
That is so cute!! What fun that others thought you were quite"posh!"
@spiderdust (6899)
• San Jose, California
I sent kids on the bus today with PBJs from the freezer, plastic baggies of pretzels, an orange each, and some juice boxes that I found at the back of the cabinet. I'm sure they're finding it weird (especially since their mother never packs their lunches ever).
You packed great lunches for those young ones. So sad their mother cannot parent well at all.
• San Jose, California
@Corbin5 You aren't kidding. There have been more recent developments/discoveries today that has me screaming at the sky.
@spiderdust I can just imagine. I am so sorry about all that is going on.
@MsBooklover (4052)
School memories! I think you turned out just fine...better than fine.
You, my friend, turned out better than fine too!! I remembered the other day how much that aluminum foil bothered me.
@Corbin5 Thank you! Aluminum foil never bothered me until as an adult because of the illnesses they say it causes.
@MsBooklover Yes, if it is heated, then the elements can mingle with the food. A hot sandwich wrapped in foil is not a good idea.
@Courage7 (12348)
Oh gosh..I wonder if that was good Deborah..not sure if aluminum could seep into the sandwich.. Poor you
Oh, I think no harm was done. However, wrapping hot food in aluminum foil is not a good idea since some of the foil elements might get into the food. My sandwiches were never heated, just eaten.
@Courage7 (12348)
@Corbin5 Oh I see the heat would activate stuff..good glad you are okay Deborah Oh yes I know I hated to be different also in school lol
@Courage7 It is so hard for kids to be different, which is rather a sad thought. Oh well, we turned out OK.
• Peoria, Arizona
I feel like that would be more expensive after a while. We used plastic sandwich baggies and everything was put in those, chips, sandwiches, fruit slices.
I used the plastic baggies when our son was little. I do not think the plastic sandwich bags were around in the late 1950s and early 1960s. If they were, I bet Mom thought they were too expensive to buy.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Corbin5 That is true, probably not. If my mom wrapped something in foil, i would take it home and wash it so we could reuse it haha
@DesirousDreamer My mom washed foil too!!!!!
I can remember my mama using the foil too. I don't recall it bothering me
• Pleasant Hill, California
I always thought wax wrap was weird.
@TheHorse The first year I taught, the kids and I went outside and collected all the fall leaves we could carry. We placed each leaf between two pieces of waxed paper. After school, I pressed the wax paper containing each leaf with an iron to seal each leaf inside the wax paper. We then cut around the wax-paper encased leaves. With brown construction paper, I cut out a tree trunk and branches. I taped the bare "tree" to the window. The kids taped the wax-paper encased leaves onto the branches. When the sun hit that classroom window, the tree was a pretty sight. That was my best use of wax paper. I also learned that first grade was not a grade I wanted to teach. I moved on to the big kids, thank goodness.
It is strange that such a little thing like that bothered me.
Aw poor pitiful you.......I think that you've recovered quite well. My mother was all about baggies, which when you consider how many landfills are over filled with plastic like that, which take an eternity to break down, I'm not very proud of that.
Well, I am wondering if baggies were around in the late 1950s and early 1960s? If they were new, like many new things, perhaps Mom thought they were too expensive. It was a struggle, but I am good now!!!
@Corbin5 I know that you're good now.....you silly willy! I went to school in the 1970's and from what I've read, that was the decade that plastic really went main stream in the average household. And the damage to our environment began back in those days.
@Juliaacv Well, I did find that Ziploc® bags were introduced in 1968 as food storage bags. The first baggies and sandwich bags on a roll and they were introduced in 1957, but I doubt many folks used them.
@YrNemo (14421)
I know the feeling! My children when they were younger, insisted that I should pack their lunch exactly as their friends or they would be laughed at. I had to play along all those years. (By the way, waxed paper (for baking) is more expensive than aluminum foil these days, am I right?)
Oh yes, waxed paper for baking is more expensive than aluminum foil today!! I am so glad you played along all those years!!
@YrNemo (14421)
@Corbin5 or they wouldn't eat what I packed. Those were hard years!
@YrNemo I bet they were!!!
my aunt used aluminum foil too, my mom - sandwich bags lol. Though, not sure how old sandwich bags are.
I have a feeling that sandwich bags were not around yet when I was a kid. If they were, I bet they were too expensive for Mom.
@Corbin5 Hmm, maybe not. Though, don't see how they could be expensive, with prices these days. lol
@dgobucks226 (13339)
Funny post except for the psychological damage you suffered. So, how do you wrap your sandwiches today. Personally, I swear by aluminum foil
Well, those plastic sandwich bags were in use when I taught. When our son was in school, I used the sandwich bags too. You know, with aluminum foil you can tear off the amount you need for any size item and just wrap that item quick as can be. You cannot stuff a big fat sandwich in a plastic sandwich bag, for heaven's sake! I think we now need to celebrate aluminum foil a bit more!!!
@dgobucks226 (13339)
@Corbin5 It is handy, but thinking back my Mom probably used sandwich bags too for my school lunch. Anyway, they both serve the same purpose and are useful items to have around, lol.
@Starmaiden (7469)
Aluminum foil has proven to be toxic if you wrap your food in it, especially when cooking. It's not a good choice.
Myth or Fact? Cooking with Aluminum Foil Is Bad for Your Health from Food Network
That link just says that aluminium can be harmful in high doses, but that there isn't enough research to say whether or not it's harmful enough to actually cause damage when you use foil to wrap your food or when cooking.
Good thing that my sandwich was not cooked.
@MoonMaa (403)
Maybe it was easier for your mother to use aluminum foil.
I think you are right. Kids often do not want to be different in any way from the other kids.