A Surprise Pension from New Zealand!

By Bess
@epiffanie (9044)
Australia
. Hello Mylot Friends .. Thank you for participating in my previous discussion about retirement and old age pension.. I learned so much from that discussion... A few months after my husband retired, he received a letter from the New Zealand government saying he's eligible to apply for a pension and with it was an application form .. He was very surprised... So he is receiving a little bit over $200 Au per month from New Zealand because he worked there for about two years in the early 70s where he and his young family lived as well.. His ex-wife, even though didn't work there also receives small sum a month from New Zealand now that she is also retired here... So, the Centrelink, deducted that amount from the amount, my husband was supposed to get from Australian government .. Well, isn't that weird that New Zealand is giving more pension now to my husband for working there a couple of years than what he gets here in Australia where he worked a total of 30 something years .. lol .. How do they work that out?... We are wondering that perhaps, New Zealand Nationals also get the same privileges from the Australian Government when they retire back home after working here for a few years.?.. Maybe there was an agreement between the two countries?..If that is the case, New Zealand Nationals who worked here but retired over there, will be so much better off than the pensioners here, because they won't have to undergo means testing .. Anyway, we are grateful to receive that $200 a month that we are saving for a trip to New Zealand in the near future ... Is anyone here in Mylot from New Zealand?.. Please, I would love to know how the social welfare system over there works ...Thank you! Bess.. ..
@mlgen1037 (8239)
• Manila, Philippines
Hello there. I hope I can help but I am not knowledgeable with New Zealand’s social welfare system. What caught my attention is the title. My parents are pensioners here too and they are living the life they want and their pensions help in renovating our house. The $200 AUD is still something and it is a blessing.
@epiffanie (9044)
Hi Louise.. did you mean your parents are pensioners in New Zealand?... I'm glad that they are having a wonderful retirement..Thank you for dropping by ..
@Jessabuma (6819)
• Baguio, Philippines
I am not from New Zealand ma'am but I am happy to know that good news. $200 Au is really a big help.
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes.. we are grateful for it ..
@Jessabuma (6819)
• Baguio, Philippines
@YrNemo (10422)
I will have to ask my New Zealand friends about this, sounds very interesting.
@epiffanie (9044)
Oh thanks!.. It would be good to know more about their system over there ..
@epiffanie Bess, Did you get an e-mail or paper in the mail about how much will get for the pension? I grew up in Minneapolis the midwestern part of the United States. I worked there and get Social Security there and also Social Security here in Israel because I have worked here and still work.
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes.. my husband did get a letter from them and told him how much he is getting .. Good for you that you get the benefit from two countries..
@epiffanie Thanks Bess.
That amount is better than nothing. Take it an run!
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes indeed.. better than nothing.. We'll take it gratefully and run off to New Zealand for a visit ..
@1hopefulman (24823)
That is kind of weird but maybe New Zealand is a richer country and can be more generous? Or, do you think that Australia made a mistake in their calculations? Or, is it because Australia has a different way of calculating their pensions and only gives it to those that don't have any others means of caring for their needs?
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes we found it weird that working there for two years entitles him to receive that for the rest of his life .. So who knows how they do it..
@1hopefulman (24823)
@epiffanie Who knows?
Different countries have different policies and may be Aus don't like people who have worked in New Zealand as well lol
@epiffanie (9044)
lol!.. you could be right!
That is so nice of the New Zealand government. At least, it can help to add in your husband's existing pension there in Australia.
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes.. I thought how generous of New Zealand to give that entitlement to anyone that only worked two years over there..
Wow that's cool, but also surprising.
@epiffanie (9044)
Cool, surprising and I think it's weird ..lol
That is good news that your husband will be getting that money.
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes.. and we are grateful for it ..
@Shiva49 (11490)
Good to receive a pension like that after having worked for only two years! I have no pension but income from investments that I hope will cover me. Most worry about this issue - siva
@epiffanie (9044)
It is a bit worrying isn't it?.. when we don't know if our investments would cover our needs for the rest of our lives..
@Shiva49 (11490)
@epiffanie Yes, medical care causes most worry as they are getting more and more expensive - siva
@epiffanie (9044)
@Shiva49 Don't you get like a senior card over there in Singapore which entitles you to a discount on prescriptions?.. Here in Australia, most our prescribed medication only cost us about $8 .. which is a great help..
Centrelink don't miss out on anything. They must have spies everywhere I think.
@epiffanie (9044)
No, they don't miss out on absolutely anything .. they have access to your accountant and your accountant knows all your income .. so yeah.. we can run but we can't hide .. lol..
@epiffanie For us, it is impossible to ring them or to go online to them. The only option is to drive the half-hour into Bunbury, wait an hour and talk to someone.
@epiffanie (9044)
@JudyEv wow! .. that's a bit of a pain isn't it? .. My husband gets very frustrated when he has to wait in line at centrelink and he told me that some people get very abusive at the staff for waiting so long that at one time, they had to call the police .. they had combined Medicare and Centrelink , so less staff ...
@tarah9 (544)
Im not newzy but that is good surprise
@epiffanie (9044)
Thank you for dropping by..
@FayeHazel (15021)
I'm happy you are getting a bit extra money - every little bit helps
@epiffanie (9044)
Thank you kindly! ..
@thelme55 (13674)
That is great. I hope you will know more about the social welfare in New Zealand.
@epiffanie (9044)
Yes.. I really would like to know more ..