Unexpected guests

@sprite1950 (14496)
Corsham, England
I'm the sort of person who likes to know if someone is going to visit me and I don't like people to turn up unannounced. I like the house to be tidyish and sometimes I might be planning to go out so if someone visits out of the blue it can be inconvenient. Some people always have an open house which is nice but I always think a phone call beforehand is more polite unless it's an emergency. A friend of mine said if people called on her when she didn't want to see them she would put her coat over her arm and say she was just going out!
I don't mind unexpected visits. I like surprises. But it would be hard to catch me in my own home as I'm usually out.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
Now I'm retired I'm home a lot more. I don't mind if family calls but even my sister will phone me first.
@sprite1950 Those who know you will do of course.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
@toniganzon I remember once when I lived at home with my parents, my dad answered the door to a boy I didn't want to see. It was embarrassing as he asked me out in front of my mum and I didn't know what to say as I didn't want to make him feel bad.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
Sometimes it can really be frustrating as if these people have the right to bombard your place anytime without prior notice. It can be rude sometimes on their part.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
Then sometimes they stay too long and you can't get rid of them
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@sprite1950 precisely. They are insensitive and deep inside you want to scream "GO AWAY" hahha
@hereandthere (32754)
i read something similar in a magazine, about having a hat near the door and putting it on before opening the door. if you want to see them, say you just got home and let them in. if you don't want to see them, say you're about to leave.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
It's a good plan!
@Icydoll (24474)
I don't like unexpected guests visit too..they should inform us before by calling .this is not at all good ,some people only to make us surprised do such things ..it's very inconvenient
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
I remember when I was bringing up my children there was a couple who would call unexpectedly with their badly behaved child. I sometimes didn't answer the door because I just couldn't face them.
@RodrickH (12550)
Me too, although some friends will drop by without notice me, but I like the expected guests
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
My house is never quite as I like it if people drop by. I prefer to be prepared.
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
I don't like having an unexpected guests. It's very inconvenient. I want them to inform me before they will go and visit me.