I Cut Cable

Green Bay, Wisconsin
And my landline. I have only the Internet now, and found that alone, it's a lot more than I expected, still I'm saving $80 a month, so I'm not going to complain too loudly. Of course that means I need to have my cell on me all the time now. That's going to take some getting used to. I watched the last movie on my DVR this morning after I got home from the pool, then set up my TV to make certain I was getting the local channels. Since my TV is a Smart TV I can also get Netflix still on the TV. I'm also going to sign up with Hulu on Sunday, since it's the first of the month. I'm very happy with this decision. I need to cut corners somehow, and this was the only thing I had that I could get rid of. Obviously, I need my Internet for more than social media. I need it for all the research I do for my books. I also updated my contact information with Walgreen's so they can still let me know when my refill is ready. That has been my morning. How is your day? Thanks for reading.
I told my husband we should cut dish but he loves watching TV. We do have the cheapest service for dish and we .have the internet which is $60 a month for both.. I guess that is not to bad.
That doesn't sound too expensive
That's actually pretty good @jstory07.
@dodo19 (33582)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can get expensive. It is still good that you are saving some money.
Yes, and it was getting very expensive. Since I got the service less than a year ago, they raised rates twice. No more. Time for me to cut the rates on them.
@dodo19 (33582)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@just4him Raising the prices twice in a year is ridiculous. I would be cutting it too.
@dodo19 Yes, it is ridiculous, and the last time they charged a fee for broadcast TV. We get local channels free here, so charging a fee for them is preposterous.
My sister cut cable too. I believe she has Neflix and that works for her. A good day here with a bit of sunshine.
We've had sunshine all day, but the clouds are starting to roll in. We're expecting rain and snow tonight and tomorrow.
@just4him We will get the rain, but no snow. Hey! You and I will both be happy!
@Corbin5 I am definitely happy. Last night when I went to bed, the weather patterns still looked like all the snow would go north of us. March is going out like a lion. I'm enjoying the white view out my window.
@1hopefulman (32385)
I also have only internet and a cell phone with no internet on it. Things have gotten so expensive these days!
@kepweng (18505)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
no free wifi??
@1hopefulman (32385)
@kepweng No, we have to pay. We can go in a coffee shop and there it is free.
@1hopefulman Yes, they have. My cell is Internet friendly, but it only has 1 GB of data, so I have it turned off.
I am glad that you are doing well with just the smart TV, before you sign up for Hulu look at Sling, it is another service. I also use YouTube a lot to watch shows and movies.
Funny you should mention that. I looked at it just a little while ago. Hulu is still less than Sling, unless I go for Hulu live, then Sling would be cheaper. I'm considering only the regular Hulu without commercials which is $12 a month. I know YouTube has started that kind of service too. I should look at that to see what they offer.
@just4him Youtube is free you just search for what you want and if it is there you can watch it, you don't need a service.
@BelleStarr True, though they are also adding a service, unless that's free. I'll look into it.
you will get used to it Val we did.Good for you
Thank you. I'm sure I will.
@just4him Good for you Val
I had canceled my cable once and only had it in one tv but got it back to both tv' s. I pay quite a bit about $194 a month but also get a landline and internet with it. I love my cable and netflix. I do not use my cell phone for making calls so need the landline. I am extremely satisfied with my internet so bot changing it
I'm glad you're satisfied with it. That would be way too much for me, but you do have two TV's. I only have one. I needed to cut my bills, and that was the best way to do it.
We cut our cable a few years ago and we do not miss it at all.
That's great!
@Icydoll (24492)
That's good you are saving some money.and we don't have cable connection too..
Yes, I needed to find a way to save money. They just raised rates again, so it was time to say goodbye to it.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. My cable bill is ridiculous and I hardly ever use my landline. I would need to keep my internet too
I know I'll see the benefits of not having it in the next couple months.
I tried to cut my landline, but they told me I couldn't until July.
I wasn't under a contract or I might not have been able to do either of them as well. I'm sorry you have to wait until July.
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
Hello! I am doing fine here. It's already 1 in the morning here in my country but I can't sleep. Hope you have good day
I'm glad you're doing well.
So you did get to watch everything you had on the DVR? I'm glad. Did you already have Netflix or have to sign up for that as well? I only had hulu for one month, two years ago maybe. Didn't care for it - but then we have Netflix, the wwe network, and cable - which includes ondemand. It would cost us more to end cable and only have internet, then to have it with our internet. plus, it's worth having for us since we watch probably 10 shows a week just for our weekly night shows, nevermind shows during the day, lol
I had Netflix. I now have Hulu. I ordered it yesterday. We'll see how long it lasts. I like that I can watch the shows I miss the next day instead of waiting for them to come out on Netflix at the end of the season. They both have their merits. Well, time for me to leave for the pool. I'll be back.
@just4him Yeah, that's the good thing about hulu. if we didn't have cable, we'd probably have hulu too. enjoy the pool!
@Courtlynn I did. Now the weather will determine whether I go tomorrow or not.
@spiderdust (7134)
• San Jose, California
We watch Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Video on our TV. We get Netflix free through our cell phone company.
That's great you get Netflix free. I think I've seen the commercial for that.
• San Jose, California
@just4him It does help a lot, as the kids really enjoy it.
@spiderdust There are a lot of great shows on Netflix for kids.
@cintol (7706)
We have been thinking of doing the same thing, my husband said we could cut cable and phone and just have the internet. He can download just about anything we want to watch on tv now so we are thinking about it.
I'm happy with the decision. It's remembering to have the cell phone with me at all times that is a change for me.
@cintol (7706)
@just4him That would be the hard thing for me to remember as well, except those days when I don't want to talk to anyone lol
@cintol I have those days a lot.
Fantastic move. I fluctuate between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. Interestingly enough Amazon Prime offers two ways to pay, the yearly subscription is $99 or you can pay monthly for a fee of $14.06, I'll stick with them til the end of this 30 days but I doubt I'll go back when it's ended, there aren't enough shows for my taste there.
I have Netflix, thinking about Hulu, but not sure I need it. I looked for the show I normally put on DVR today on Hulu, and it wasn't there. However, I did find it on CBS all access and watched it there. It's opposite another show I always put on DVR. So, if the show I would watch on Hulu the following day isn't on Hulu, then I'm good with just Netflix and doing CBS all access, which I can watch the occasional show without having to pay for it.
CBS does not charge @just4him ? I wish I could get it here.
Interesting @just4him I'll have to try that.
@Lolaze (3164)
Other than watching sports, I wouldn’t mind if we dropped cable. And honestly, I could always watch the games at a friends house. My mom wants to keep it though...it’s over 200 a month for cable and internet though!
That's a lot!
@Lolaze (3164)
@just4him yep! And she is on a fixed income so I hate seeing her pay that much!
@Lolaze So, am I. Which is why I had to get rid of the cable and landline.
Our landline phone comes free with the Internet line and we have unlimited free calls. We have no cable TV.
That's a good deal.
@just4him Yes, I was glad to have this proposal, also all the calls I make to Italy are free and I have my family there.
@LadyDuck That's perfect.
Good decision...if you wanted to though you could get Verizon HOme Phone connect..I have a cell but I use that phone too..it is only about 25 bucks a month. I wouldn't have it if I had to pay for it myself, but it does come in handy especially with mystery shopping, as I have to use different numbers sometimes.
That's a good deal, but my cell is free, and I need a good Internet service, and there are only two options here, and I refuse to have anything to do with AT&T again.
@just4him Oh they are ones running direct tv now..dealing with them is a nightmare. Worst customer "service" I have ever encountered.
@snowy22315 You got that right! It's the reason I got rid of them for my current cable package, but now only have the Internet.
• Peoria, Arizona
We cut cable a long time ago and it helped so much. And I also am now paying for my phone so my mom doesn't have to worry about it. It is awesome to save so much money. Yey internet!
Yes, it is good to save money. I'd be lost without the Internet. It's a must, as you are well aware.
• Peoria, Arizona
@just4him I rather spend my money on Internet than something I barely use haha the internet is everything and also makes working as a content creator a lot easier.
@DesirousDreamer Yes, it does. Everything is easier with the Internet.