Didn't See That Coming!!

@cintol (7704)
Here we just moved, got settled with a house that has an office for my husbands job, just got billing settled in so I can budget and start saving and BOOM.......just like that, the phone rings and my husband is laid off. Wow, almost 6 yrs with the company and never even saw it coming. We also lost our insurance benefits at midnight that night as they decided to do this at the end of the month. No warning, nothing, still shocked. Funny thing is that my husband just got done with a job in Hong Kong for them and while he was there he needed some parts and they told him they couldn't afford them at the moment. WHAT?? Come to find out they are having bad money issues in the company, how I don't know because this company has been strong since he started there. Well, whats done is done, off to find a new job. Hope he can find something soon as these bills aren't gonna pay themselves. Thank God we have some savings to live off of for a little while. Wish us luck!! Has this ever happened to you where you have been blindsided?
@spiderdust (7174)
• San Jose, California
Oh, no!! And you know they timed it the way they did too. He needs to file for unemployment ASAP, which I guess would have to be tomorrow.
@cintol (7704)
Yes, he just said he is going too but his job was Colorado and we are now in Texas and Colorado unemployment takes months to get
• San Jose, California
@cintol What a nightmare!
@cintol (7704)
@spiderdust I know, it sucks. Wasn't really expecting to have to go through this again before he retired
Oh goodness, I cannot believe that they are allowed to do something like this. I wish to your husband good luck to find immediately a new job.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you Anna, I know he will work hard at it and there are a lot of computer companies so we shall see.
@cintol I am sure he can find a new job soon. At least here in Europe they are obliged to give 6 weeks notice, they cannot let you at home the day after.
@cintol (7704)
@LadyDuck Thank you Anna, here in the States they don't have to do that, they called that morning and it was done, they did give him 4 wks of severance pay but that won't go too far. He has put out several apps, now we wait.
@moffittjc (45207)
• Gainesville, Florida
That is terrible news, but are you sure this wasn't a horrific April Fools joke? I'd hate to think that a company would play a joke like that, but it sure would be relieving if it were a joke and he still had his job. I hope your husband is able to bounce back quickly with a new job offer, and that in the meantime you can manage to continue with your bills.
@cintol (7704)
I wish it were but sadly no, they have already started sending out paperwork for him to sign and our ins. has already been cancelled. We have some savings so we will be ok for a while, just hope we don't have to spend it all waiting. Thank you
@moffittjc (45207)
• Gainesville, Florida
@cintol Well thankfully you have something put away in savings. Most people wouldn't be able to say the same thing. Hopefully, you won't have to use too much of your savings before your husband finds more work. What kind of business is he in?
@cintol (7704)
@moffittjc He is a computer engineer, he has been in the computer field for over 20 yrs so it might be a little tough for him to get something because they always say he is over qualified. Fingers crossed he can come up with something
@Essjayd (1619)
It's happened to me a few times as most of my work is for contractors who are usually small businesses forever balancing on the brink of going bust! I hope your husband finds a new job soon, hopefully a better one with a reliable company!
@cintol (7704)
Thank you, I am sorry you have to endure this as well. My husband is a computer engineer so you wouldn't think it would be hard but at his age they don't want to hire and train for fear of him retiring on them. No chance of that for a while
@Essjayd (1619)
@cintol Has he considered setting up in business for himself? My friends brother was laid off from one of the major banks he started his own consulting firm. Unbelievably his biggest client is the same bank that laid him off. He's back in there fixing their software problems every other week and earning more than he did as an employee.
@cintol (7704)
@Essjayd Thats a good idea, I don't think he has considered that but I will surly let him know about that suggestion. Thank you
I hope he finds a job soon. Three weeks after we bought our house, my husband lost his job and we ended up losing the house. So, yes, we were blindsided too. I lost my second house for the same reason, almost. I had it 5 years before I was fired from my job, and no, didn't see that coming, and lost my house - again.
@cintol (7704)
Oh my gosh, that would be awful to go through that much, twice no less. I am sorry that happened and I worry because we just got this one 4 mths ago and this happens. I don't think we will lose it as we have some savings but really don't want to have to spend it all and find out what happens after that. He has some apps out there so we will see what comes of them.
@cintol I hope he gets a job from one of those appointments, and you don't need to dip into your savings. It's good you have it to fall back on though.
@cintol (7704)
@just4him Me too Valerie, I think we can get through a couple of months without taking it but after that, not so sure.
@cintol Cindy, that is horrible. He had no clue whatsoever that they were having money problems? I hope you finds the right job this time and the bills do not pile up.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you Hanni, we will do ok for a while just don't want to have to spend a lot from savings ya know. He had a little clue when he was in Hong Kong when they couldn't afford a part he needed but we didn't know it was this bad.
@cintol Cindy, that sucks. I really truly hope he finds something soon.
@cintol (7704)
@Hannihar Thanks Hanni, I am sure he will
@MarymargII (10557)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sorry to hear about this for you--we had a string of bad luck with jobs etc for quite a while but hope you will get back on your feet soon! Things will look up. My husband had had a stroke years ago and was unable to work and we really had a bad go of it financially. Kep your credit cards low until you're settled.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you, I know we will make it through and we got rid of all our credit cards when we sold our house in Colorado. We only have 2 now and we don't use them and don't plan too. We are pretty good when it comes to debt and we will get by for a few mths without dipping into the savings. I just worry because the last time this happened it took a couple of months for him to get this job and now he is much older but we are hopeful. Thanks Im sorry to hear about your husband, I hope you are doing well now.
@MarymargII (10557)
• Toronto, Ontario
@cintol Yes but our situation is much more spare than it had been. We are getting by and doing okay really.
@cintol (7704)
@MarymargII Thats good to hear, I'm glad things are going better for you.
@Courage7 (15652)
I wish you many blessings Cindy.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you my dear, I wish the same for you as well.
@Courage7 (15652)
@cintol Thanks Cindy. Happy Easter.
@cintol (7704)
@Courage7 Happy Easter, I hope you had a good day. How's the weather there?
Oh darn. I am so sorry this happened. I am wishing you the best of luck. During the Obama administration, our son who has an MBA in finance/market was laid off so many times I lost count. His college friends suffered the same thing. I hope that things are better now and a job will be easier for your husband to find.
@cintol (7704)
Yeah, my husband was laid off once during that one too. Thanks, I am hoping he can find something. He has put out some apps, already received one reply on being to over qualified for what he applied for, and so it begins.
@cintol That happened to a friend our ours age 62. Due to his age, he is having such a hard time finding a job. He was in sales for the steel industry, and he has picked up some work as a consultant, but that is about it. He is too-experienced, and his age is a factor. Every time I saw our son's car parked in front of our home in the middle of the day, I knew he had been laid off again. He and his friends were born at the wrong time, for sure. They are now trying to catch up.
@cintol (7704)
@Corbin5 We are worried about this as well because my husband is up there in age as well so all we can do is pray someone will take a chance on him. We know he isn't going to come close to the income he was making and thats ok, we can afford to take a cut, it worries me though that no one will give him a chance.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
That same incident just happened to my daughters husband on Friday @cintol . What are the odds on that one!!
@cintol (7704)
Thats is weird, what did her husband do for work?
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
@cintol He is a semi driver. Fortunately there is a lot of work available in that field.
@cintol (7704)
@nanette64 He is lucky because your right, there is a lot of demand for drivers. My husband is a computer engineer but with his age and experience he is over qualified for a lot of the jobs he is putting in for which means they can't afford to pay what he wants. We could even take a good pay cut and be ok if they would just give him a chance.
Wow, that is awful especially about the insurance, Yes my hubs was treated badly by the company he worked for for 45 years. They don't care about employees these days. I am saying a prayer that he finds a better job quickly.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you Belle, I just find it ironic that we asked them before we moved if his job was safe and they said yes, absolutely. Then they send him to Hong Kong and Lay him off a week later, so irritating
@cintol It is really lousy of them that is for sure but I guess with a booming economy it should be a bit easier to find another job, at least I hope so.
@cintol (7704)
@BelleStarr He has been trying but we are worried that his age is going to be a problem at this point. They laid off 3 people at his company, 1 was retiring next year, 1 retiring in 2 years and then Don who had 5
Oh Cindy, what a blow for you both. Aren't they obliged to give him notice? And don't you have a redundancy scheme In the US? Anyway, I hope he finds a new job asap. Good luck.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you, it was a shock since they promised him before we moved that he was safe. No, in Colorado they aren't obligated to give notice, they gave him a severance package and wished him well. Said they would rehire if they get back on their feet. Funny thing, they laid off 3 of them that day, 2 were retiring next year and Don had a few more years to go. Hes looking but this little town has nothing and he will probably ending up driving an hour to work if he has to go to Dallas.
@cintol That will add quite a bit to his day if he has to go that far, but that would be better than not having a job at all.
@cintol (7704)
@jaboUK Yes, we already agreed that if he has to go that far we will have to suck it up but we only have one car so that would be tough
Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful thing to have to go through! I hope your husband can find something soon.
@cintol (7704)
Thanks Dianne, he applied for a position this morning online and they emailed him tonight saying he looks like a positive match and asked for a little more info on him. Fingers crossed that they like what he added and he gets a call back. He wants to work for this company
@cintol That's wonderful news!!!!!! Prayers for him that it all works out!
@cintol (7704)
@DianneN Thank you
I am sure that you'll make the most of it, it already sounds like you've got a positive frame of mind. I wish him luck with finding a new job.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you Julia, it is what it is so we can only move forward from here.
@cintol I will keep you, him and your family in my prayers.
@cintol (7704)
@Juliaacv Thanks Julia
@Micmac (9433)
That is sad and depressing. So sorry for your husband. I hope he will find a new job soon. These are sad times. Many of my friends are in the same boat - they lost their jobs, while some companies downsized, so they are only working a few hours a day. Several are unemployed for years and cannot find work.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you Miki, it has been 2 1/2 mths now and he still hasn't found a job so I am going to go back to work instead. Gotta do what we gotta do and if that means I work then so be it. Work industry sucks any more
@Micmac (9433)
@cintol Finding a job today is like searching for a needle in a haystack. It's just nothing out there that is stable or secure anymore. I wish you the best on your new endeavors! Take care, Cindy.
@cintol (7704)
@Micmac Thank you Miki, I am sure something will come up soon.
@FayeHazel (19816)
Oh no. I'm so sorry. You know, one of my first thoughts was that maybe this is a blessing in disguise and he will find an even better job now
@cintol (7704)
We were hoping that but the job he lost was a really great job, we are hoping he will find something soon. He finally has a phone interview on Friday morning with a company here, keep your fingers and toes crossed for him. Thank you
@FayeHazel (19816)
@cintol I will hope that he gets that job he's interviewing for .... please keep us updated
@cintol (7704)
@FayeHazel thank you Faye, I will let you know what comes of it.
@ridingbet (59369)
so, i assume your husband has now found a new job? i hope your family stays together, as always. happy Friday.
@cintol (7704)
No not yet, he is still looking. I told him not to rush into it and take just anything, he needs to be happy at what he does.
@ridingbet (59369)
@cintol i agree. if we work and we do not have the heart to do it, the "finished product" is almost always not good.
@cintol (7704)
@ridingbet Exactly, why work at something your going to hate going to each day.
@dgobucks226 (13746)
Yes, some time ago I was let go without any notice. I was at work and the Assistant Manager told me. The Owner did not even have the decency to tell me. I can't say I was completely blindsided but still surprised. That is such a terrible thing to happen to your husband. Unfortunately, businesses expect to make a certain amount of income and when they don't, staff gets laid off. Of course, that does not ease the despair over losing a job. Hope he can find something very soon.
@cintol (7704)
Wow, what a coward to put that on and Asst mgr to give the news. Nice way to take responsibility. Thank you DB, we are hoping he can find something soon but so far he has been over qualified for everything he has applied for and there is much around here to work with. We are hopeful something will come up.
@dgobucks226 (13746)
@cintol Wish your husband and you the best. Hoping he finds something suitable in the near future.
@cintol (7704)
@dgobucks226 Thanks DB, hes going to a job fair next week and there is a guy that lives by us that is helping him try to get on with Radion, I think thats what its called.
@sallypup (28499)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This is horrible. Walmart gave a friend of mine the boot without warning and it was right before Christmas. Not ethical, in my mind.
@cintol (7704)
Why do companies do that, seems they always seem to lay off right before or after a holiday.
@sallypup (28499)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@cintol They're heartless. Dollars come first.
@cintol (7704)
@sallypup yep, looks like it! : (
@pgntwo (22474)
• Carthage, Tunisia
B*mmer timing, as always. Hope he can find something sooner rather than later.
@cintol (7704)
Thank you, we are keeping our fingers crossed
@cintol (7704)
@pgntwo Yes, I know. He just got his first over qualified response today but they asked him how much he would want for another position so we will see. I want him to keep looking, hes worth more than that at what he can do. Thank you